*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/480171-Awwwwwwwwww-Phoooooooooooey
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#480171 added January 9, 2007 at 12:25pm
Restrictions: None
Awwwwwwwwww Phoooooooooooey
Last night, I thought of something that would make a good blog entry. At the time, I thought it was rather important. But since I had already made an entry for the day, and since I have not been making daily entries, I thought I'd hold off until today to make that "important" entry. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I've totally forgotten what was so important last night. Sigh. Fibro fog? Or just getting old? Or a combination of both? Grrrrrrr.

Oh well. Perhaps as I think and write last night's revelation will return. Right.

Anyway. Onward and upward. A few days ago I got an email newsletter that I usually delete. It's one of those things that I really don't know why I receive it or how I got on the mailing list. Heck, it's got some pretty technical internet stuff in it and I'm just not that technical. But this last one had an interesting link in it. Originally, I think this article appeared in some computer magazine that doesn't even exist anymore. But someone discovered this and posted it. It's a list of the best and worst of 1994 and predictions for 1995. Remember...this was back in the days of Usernet. Before my (computer) time. *Smile* I got my first computer in 1999. And I'm still using it!

Here's the link:
http://www.neonshop.com/bio/iw/bwv6n1.htm

What made me chuckle was this quote: "The organization of the World-Wide Web. I love the Web, but finding something specific on it is a nightmare. And because the Web is growing by leaps and bounds, I just don't see things getting easier anytime soon."

And this prediction: "The Information Superhighway as delivered via set-top boxes will die forever; a good idea gone awry (gone the way of Betamax); unless someone figures out what people really want, such as the ability to search reference works, participate in distance learning, search the holdings at the local library, and practice electronic democracy."

***********

I also got some "cute" forwards in the past week or so from an internet friend who is the king of forwards. He sends so many that I usually don't have the time to look at them all. *Smile* Two this past week caught my attention, though.

One was a reminder that too many of us put off living until later. We say, "When the kids grow up, I'm going to do such and such." Or, "things will be better when...(fill in the blank)." Or, "When I get that promotion I'll have more money to...(fill in the blank)." The email was a reminder that today's journey is just as important (and maybe moreso) than that future better time that may never come.

The other was a slide presentation with music that took a while to deliver the whole message - that life is like a train ride. One never knows who will sit beside us or for how long. Sometimes we forget to watch the scenery. Sometimes we sleep through parts of the trip. Some other passengers get on and off much too quickly for us to ever get to know them. Others stay for a while and become our friends. Sometimes those friends choose to sit in another car, but it's okay for us to seek them out. And sometimes when we do seek them out we discover that someone else is sitting next to them. Our train ride always comes to an end eventually, but it's important that we enjoy it while we can.

Both of those were messages that were good ones for this time of year.

Here we are in a brand new year. We have many choices in how this new year plays out. There are also some circumstances over which we have no control or choice. But we do have a choice in how we react to life as it unfolds.

***********

Hmmmmm. I still haven't remembered what was so important last night. I have learned a lesson, though. Next time I think of something profound, I'll make sure I document it immediately. Now...if I can just remember that...



© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/480171-Awwwwwwwwww-Phoooooooooooey