*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/483118-Meanderingand-pondering
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#483118 added January 23, 2007 at 4:42pm
Restrictions: None
Meandering...and pondering
The small group lessons and our pastor's accompanying sermons call Christians "Christ-followers." I like that term much better than "Christian." Too many folks call themselves Christian who just don't exhibit any fruit. *Smile* Christ-folowers just sounds like a stronger, more active and bold way to define oneself. It probably also requires some action. (Following...as opposed to just being...) I definitely want to be a Christ-follower.

I really did enjoy being with a group of like-minded women on Sunday night. At the end, we laughed about how different our discussions would probably be from the discussion of a men's group. We prayed for our kids and our pets. The guys will probably pray about the Super Bowl results. *Laugh* Hubby will be going to his small group this evening. I hope he feels a connection like I did in mine.

********

We're supposed to get some more snow tonight. I hope the weather forcasts are wrong. If I had my way, the one snow we did get would be the only snow of the season. Fat chance.

********

As a Baby-Boomer, I often think about how things were "back in my day." *Smile* The world certainly is a different place now, and there are many arguments about why and how that came to be. Some blame the fact that prayer was taken from our schools.

To me, the biggest difference in today's world and the one I experienced as a child is the lack of respect - for our elders, our neighbors, even our own friends and family.

The lack of respect is really evident in how everyone speaks about our President. I remember hearing, as a child, how the citizens of the U.S. were divided about whether or not they liked President Franklin Roosevelt. They were also divided on whether or not Roosevelt should have gotten involved in World War II. But, even though they might have disliked the man and even though they disagreed with some of his decisions, the man was the President and worthy of respect. Perhaps in their homes and behind closed doors, people might have spoken against the President. But in public, they showed respect, and patriotism towards the country, the flag, the military and, yes, even to the Presdient. Our parents and grandparents knew that the world was watching. They understood that - in public - we should show a united front.

I was just a kid when President Kennedy came into office. There were those who really were against having a Roman Catholic as President. They believed, that his allegience would be to the Pope before the U.S. Even so, the man was our President and each and every man, woman and child mourned him when he died. It was not a difficult task to show unity in this tragedy.

I tend to believe that the respect shown to govenment officials back then was given because our country was more of a "Christian country." And the Bible was very clear about how one should treat those in authority.

In Romans 13: 1-7 (NIV) it says:

1 Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. 4 For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience. 6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Even "church folks" have forgotten the importance of giving respect to those in authority over us. We not only openly and publically criticize and make fun of our President and other government officials, but of pastors and religious leaders, of teachers and professors, and of any others in authority.

Is it any wonder that today's children and young people show no respect for leaders and authority figures? They take their cues from us.

************

That reminds me... Someone inquired about the Bible program I have on my computer. It's Biblesoft's PC Bible Study 3.0. On it, there are 12 versions of the Bible, Nave's Topical Bible, The Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, four Bible dictionaries, seven commentaries, Greek/Hebrew dictionaries, concordances, pictures and maps. I love it!

But, if you're looking for a good online reference, here's what I recommend: http://www.biblegateway.com/

This has many of the same tools. On the home page, there's a verse of the day listed. Today's verse:

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."- James 1:5 NIV

There's even a way to add the verse of the day to your own web site.

That's all for now folks.


***********

*Laugh*I received an email asking that if Hilliary became President would I feel the same way about respect. The answer? Yes. The Bible passage above would include her if (Heaven forbid) she would become President.

I do think I might take to writing/ranting like the Psalmist, though...




© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/483118-Meanderingand-pondering