*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/487706-Mommys-Kisses-Are-Broken
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#487706 added February 13, 2007 at 7:02am
Restrictions: None
Mommy's Kisses Are Broken
*sighs and wipes away a tear* That horrible helplessness of having an ill child is almost debilitating. They're sick and their world is in chaos but there is nothing you can do. Even Mommy's kisses, the wonderful remedy that fixes hurts can't take away the ickyness or aches and pains.

You guessed it, my kids are sick. Baby boy since around 10PM last night and his sister as of about 4AM this morning. As you might guess I haven't had much sleep but thankfully they have. They've dozed on the couch all day, occasionally being sick, mostly sleeping, but getting lots of rest. My youngest from time to time crawls into my arms for a cuddle and falls asleep with his head in the crook of my arm or against my heartbeat.

There is nothing I can do except keep them cool when their temperatures begin to rise and hold them tightly when their stomachs churn then clean up the mess after. Thankfully it seems to be only a 24 hour bug and both are already on the mend. These things happen from time to time and rest and TLC are the best things to heal them with. Mommy's kisses mightn't make it all better like they normally do but they certainly help make them feel loved and cared for.

My oldest had a playdate arranged for this afternoon but was so sick she didn't mind not being able to go. Youngest is never still so his not moving from the couch today shows how poorly he was feeling. Yet here I am with very little to do. I try to tempt them with a little to eat but they aren't hungry. They'll take sips of water and until around 11AM this morning even that was coming back up. Feeling helpless when loved ones are unwell is an agony.

Kids a resilient however, and now they are on the mend I should perhaps start worrying about myself. Mommy always gets hit harder by whatever they have. I don't know why. I'd have thought I'm pretty healthy these days but no, when it hits my system I'll be bed bound for a few days probably. Nothing to do but wait and see, hoping that I didn't catch the bug.

Meanwhile we'll see how they're feeling in the morning before deciding if my oldest will make it for school or not. I doubt she'll stay on the couch two days running. It's just too against their normal selves. If they're still poorly tomorrow we'll be up to the doctor. Of course he'll tell me it's just a bug and to have them rest, drink plenty of water and keep the temperatures down. *chuckles* Oh the irony.

But now I should go, snuggle down with my little ones and get a few Zzz's if I can get a chance. Odds are it'll be another long and restless night tonight with very little sleep. Hopefully a little less laundry though. Three sets of Mommy's PJ's in 12 hours is not fun. The warm goo of last nights dinner down my front is icky. Washing sheets, blankets and pillows is a pain as well. Alas, the torment of parenting I guess.

The good news is that laying there, with their warm bodies in my arms as they sleep is such a beautiful reviving feeling. I can sustain anything with them in my arms. Two beautiful angels, I'm so very blessed.

© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/487706-Mommys-Kisses-Are-Broken