*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/491132-Heroes---One-TV-Show-Per-Week
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#491132 added February 28, 2007 at 7:52am
Restrictions: None
Heroes - One TV Show Per Week
It's strange how being a writer who absorbs so much through words has lead me away from watching very much TV. In the past there have been particular shows that would be unmissable. Most of it isn't worth watching but at the moment there is one show that's on my unmissable list. I schedule it into my week and plan to have that time available.

It just finished, and thus I have a chance to blog and in the absense of anything else to talk about and the further absense of anyone to talk about the show with I figure you'll do. *Wink* *chuckles* Heroes is kind of a twist on the whole X-Men concept. Normal people who develop superpowers. One can fly, one paints the future, one is invincible, one controls time, one seems to live a split life, and one absorbs the abilities of the others.

The whole concept of superpowers is intriguing. We all crave a sense of significance, a uniqueness that makes us special and in a way this need develops amazing concepts about how we could leave our mark on the world. I don't have any particular superpower and I don't really look for one either. I used to believe with enough training, practice and willpower I could move things with my mind but then I suspect every child has believed in their own internal superpower at some point. I remember boys who thought they could fly like superman or run superfast.

Movies and television based on this sci-fi subject have always intrigued me. Concepts beyond those we currently understand spark my sense of curiosity in the world, the wonder, the sheer magnitude of what really is possible. I love to write fiction because on the page anything is possible and everything could happen. On the page every writer is a superhero. On the page we have the power to create superheros be they normal men and women overcoming situations real humans face every day, or animals, or aliens, in every genre we create special, unique characters that do extraordinary things.

Heroes is my current must-see TV show. Everything else is insignificant. I used to stay up late to watch Stargate. At one time I enjoyed Medium and Ghost Whisperer. Love the Matrix trilogy. Phenomenon. Superman. Spiderman. X-Men Trilogy. Seems I have a thing for extremes. I love super power movies and I love natural disaster movies which in a way coincide since in natural disaster movies normal people are doing pretty super things. And nature shows her own extremes and creates lasting change.

Of course, now Heroes is over for the week and of course the writers do a fantastic job of leaving viewers on a cliff edge each week. The "To be continued..." roles up on the screen and even knowing it's coming doesn't stop me from groaning in disappointment. I think that's why I'll always prefer books and movies. You get the whole story as quickly as you want it that way. Then again that's not always true either. Books can run over multiple volumes and movies can have sequels but for the most part the story has a solid curve that leaves the ending satisfied even if it leads toward a sequel.

Now I wish I could go sleep. *chuckles* Normally I would but I only managed 150 words this morning which means I have 350 left to write tonight before I can sleep. *groans* I've been heaping even more on my plate today dedicating myself to a poem a day for the 21 day challenge and 500 words worth of reviewing every day. Technically it's doable, it's just a matter of deciding to make it happen, each and every day, to develop the pattern.

What I really need is the superpower of never needing sleep. lol

© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/491132-Heroes---One-TV-Show-Per-Week