*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/491210-Reminiscing
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#491210 added February 28, 2007 at 1:56pm
Restrictions: None
Reminiscing
Isn't it funny...how inspiration comes to us? As I gazed at the pictures below of Bok Tower and Bok Tower Gardens, I remembered how inspiring it was to just sit amongst the plants and flowers. Hearing the carillon bells, especially during the afternoon recitals (rather than the taped music that played at the hour and half-hour), and watching God's creatures play, helped me put pen to page. Just viewing these pictures brought back those times to me and it was as if I was sitting in the gardens again.

My mind scribbled these lines as I felt the quiet...

 He Never Interrupts  (E)
I finally hear, when I stop to breathe.
#1225164 by Kenzie

**********
Sometime soon, I need to make a list of all the places I have lived and try to find pictures of each of the communities and anything that makes them special. Here's the beginning of that.

From about mid-1993 to the end of 1997, my son, his dad and I lived in Lake Wales, Florida. Lake Wales is in Polk County, in Central Florida.

Just a few miles from us was Bok Tower Gardens, sitting atop "The Ridge" - the highest place in Florida.

Bok Tower Gardens is a beautiful place. It's only about 45 minutes from Disney World and well worth the side trip for anyone visiting Central Florida.

I used to take Derek to the gardens to study and to do tests. (Home schooling, remember?) When we first moved to the area, the squirrels used to come running for food. They sold peanuts to feed them. Then, someone got bitten by the squirrels and they had to ask visitors not to feed them. It only took the squirrels a short time to realize that tourists and visitors were no longer feeding them. Then they acted more like "normal" squirrels and avoided the human population.

Bok Tower Gardens, Lake Wales, FL

Bok Tower, Lake Wales, FL

Another view of Bok Tower, Lake Wales, FL

Bok Tower Gardens, Lake Wales, FL Bok Tower, Lake Wales, FL

Bok Tower is a carillon tower, dedicated in 1929. Visiting this web site will give you some history of the tower and gardens: http://www.boksanctuary.org/

For years, visitors to the tower and gardens could tour the inside of the tower. Sadly, people began trying to steal parts of it and those public tours had to cease.

Since I worked in the gift shop, my son, my ex and I were able to take a tour. Inside and out, it is quite beautiful.

The front door - brass, I believe - has the Creation story etched upon it. On the side of the tower is a sundial.

The carillon consists of 60 bells ranging in weight from 16 pounds to nearly 12 tons. There are regular carillon concerts daily at 1 and 3 p.m, and clock music selections beginning at 9 a.m. and every half-hour following.

Special concerts take place throughout the year. Weddings and other celebrations are beatiful events at Bok Tower.

Sounds like they're paying me to promote it, doesn't it? *Bigsmile* Naaahh. I just loved the place.

Bok Tower Door - brass - with the story of Creation etched upon it. Bok Tower Sundial One of the bells from the carillion at Bok Tower.

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/491210-Reminiscing