*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/494161-Chapter-2---Arthur
Rated: 13+ · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1221615
It's a mystery, a romance, a sister story, a novel.
#494161 added November 6, 2007 at 1:15pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2 - Arthur
Chapter 2
Arthur
Stepping out of the cab that pulled in front of her apartment building, Jessie waved goodbye to the friendly cabdriver that had picked her up from William’s office. Approaching the apartment doors, she yawned tiredly, covering her mouth. She was still very sore form the talk with William, and puzzled from her mothers mystery man. Approaching the stucco stairs that belonged to her apartment building, she ran blindly up them, and almost collided violently with someone coming out at the same speed.

“Whoops!” a cheerful voice cried out. Looking up Jessie stared into a pair of twinkling green eyes.

“Oh!” she exclaimed her eyes wide. She recognized him as the same man who helped her get a cab earlier. The man smiled brightly at her.

“It’s you!” they both cried in unison. Jessie blinked, and shifted her feet.

“I never thanked you properly for helping me.” She spoke, managing a tiny smile. The man waved his hand grinning, which held a cluster of silver keys, that jingled wildly and made loud, clanking sounds when they moved and slapped against each other.

“No problem.” He laughed goodheartedly, nodding his head. The brown, sandy hair on his head bobbed slightly in the cooling breeze that suddenly blew through the city. They stood staring at one another in silence for a few moments.

“Ahem.” The man looked at the sky, and then rested his eyes on her. Extending his hand, he smiled brightly again, “I’m Arthur.” He winked, raising his sandy brown eyebrows.

“Oh,” Jessie grinned, taking his large hand and giving it a prompt shake. “I’m Jessie. I live on floor three. I-“She stopped talking suddenly. A picture of Cheryl flashed before her. Cheryl always greeted strangers this way. The sudden thought bought tears to her eyes.

“You alright?” Arthur asked, seeing her eyes tear up. Jessie rubbed her eyes briskly.

“Yeah,” she answered, “just some allergies.” Arthur searched her face with his animated eyes. Then, he nodded.

“Where you headed?” he smiled, drilling his green eyes into Jessie’s blue ones.

“Oh, I’m going upstairs to get some sleep, and to eat some lunch. I’ve had a long day.” She replied, thinking that she really hadn’t thought of having anything to eat, but it sounded like a good idea.

“I’m going to the pizza palace on sixty-Fourth Street,”

“Oh?”

“Yep.”

“Never heard of it.”

“I can take you if you want; I mean, if you want to join me for a little lunch.”

“No, I’m fine. Thanks.” Arthur smiled at Jessie’s reject for lunch, and nodded understandingly.

“Alright, see you around.” Arthur continued his way down the stairs without any further interruptions. Jessie hurried up the stairs and into the building. Waving woefully at the jolly doorman, she quickened her pace up the three flights of stairs leading to her apartment. Thrusting the key into its hole, she turned it, and shoved the door open. Quickly walking to the dim apartment, she slammed the door shut, leaning against it for a moment. For a minute, she stared around her apartment. Her fuzzy slippers were sitting patiently by the closet door to the coat closet; the green couch was dusted and smothered in gigantic brown pillows; which she designed herself. The small television was on, with a video game of Mortal Kombat still on pause, the kitchen was sparkling clean; as no one really cooked in it, and her knitting basket was sitting quietly on top of the wooden coffee table. Jessie made her way slowly towards the kitchen, and set her purse onto the counter. Opening the giant, silver refrigerator, she sighed at the contents. There was never anything good in it. Her eyes slowly moved from one item to another; a carton of sour cream, an old onion, a leftover burger, a salad, a pot of brown rice, a pint of milk, an ancient jelly roll, two boiled eggs in a bowl, some very old mashed potatoes, some honey, vanilla pudding, and a celery stick.

Jessie groaned, and reached for the vanilla pudding, pushing aside the jelly roll, and the pot of brown rice. She set the tiny carton of pudding onto the counter with a slam, and grabbed a silver spoon from a plastic container. Jessie took the pudding in her hands once more, and pulled back the covering. Dipping her spoon inside, she gathered a large amount, and put the pudding-filled spoon into her mouth. Savoring the sweet flavor, she swallowed it slowly, and took the spoon from her mouth. That man I met today… was very nice. She thought, smiling for a moment, and licking the back of the spoon. Jumping onto the counter, she sat down, and ate the rest of the pudding slowly. When she finished, she jumped from the counter again, and landed with a loud ‘thud’. A knocking was heard from the floor.

“Stop that jumping!” a shrill, cracked voice screamed. Smothering a loud laugh, Jessie chucked the empty container of pudding into the open-lidded garbage can. A sudden feeling overcame Jessie, something she could not explain. If she would have described her feelings to a friend, her friend would have answered promptly,

“You’re lonely.” Only, Jessie didn’t have any close friends. The only friend she had was Cheryl, and she was gone.

“Why do I feel so weird?” Jessie asked herself aloud, as she leaned against the wall to her apartment. The conversation with William haunted her mind, and she complained weakly; “How could they give up on finding my sister? I had to go through so much for them to help me. This is awful.”
A lone tear slid down her face. So much had happened in one day that she was worn out. Brief pictures of her mother, father, Stuart, Mr. Chorter, Erin, Arthur, and Cheryl clicked into her mind. The picture of Cheryl lingered for a moment longer. Jessie broke down, letting the tears flow from her eyes. Heavy sobs racked in her chest. Sinking to the floor, she wept with her face between her legs. No one understood how much she would love to cling to her sister for just a moment. The gasping and sighing continued as the warm tears wet her face, and soaked the black skirt. Curling up on one side, she closed her eyes as another tear squeezed out. In a moment, she was asleep.

_*_

“Jessie!” a little voice screamed out. “Help me!” Jessie stared around into the darkened room where window panes were broken into bits.

“Where are you?" Jessie called, desperately running to the window panes. "Who are you?" As she reached the window, a mouse streaked from under her feet. Jessie let out a shriek that filled the room with echoes. Upon looking out of the window, she saw a little girl with blonde hair flowing around her head, and down her back. Her hands were tied behind her back along with her feet. She was lying on the ground, unable to move. The little girl was wearing pajamas, and a polka-dotted red necktie. Jessie recognized her immediately.

“Cheryl!” she yelled, attempting to jump out of the window. “I knew I would find you!” Cheryl, looked up at her, and burst out crying.

“Jessie, run!” she shrieked, tears running down her cheeks. Jessie gasped, and climbed from the window, jumping onto the sandy lot.

“No, I won’t leave you!” Jessie said, trying to dash to her sisters side. But an invisible force refused to let her. She stretched her hand out towards her sister.

“Bye Jessie! Bye!” Cheryl cried, relaxing herself against the ground.

“NO!” Jessie screeched. Cheryl was fading from view and only the red necktie was left in her place. “CHERYL!” Jessie screamed as the entire scene faded away.

A knock on the door awoke Jessie, still pressed with the heavy grief that haunted her. The dream had left her shocked, and it only depressed her more. Pale and alarmed, she sat up quickly, putting her hands to her head. Smoothing the hair back with her slender hands, she stood up. Her eyes were still puffy and slightly red, yet she didn’t know. Straightening her skirt, she opened the door slowly. Arthur stood there with one of his hands shoved into his pocket, and the other positioning to knock again. Jessie blinked in surprise.

“Hi.” She greeted him, putting on a fake grin, her puffy eyes wide.

“Hello,” he smiled cheerfully, but looking a little embarrassed. “Did I wake you?” Jessie put her hands to her face, and rubbed her eyes with her knuckles anxiously.

“N-no. How did you find me?” she asked suspiciously. Arthur pointed to her door. Looking, she saw what he meant. On her door, a bronze plate read ‘Jessie’ in bright white letters.

“Oh,” she said quietly.

“Just checking on you,” Arthur smiled, giving her a little wink. “How are your allergies?” Jessie cheeks grew hot, and she lowered her eyes angrily. Why was he making fun of her like this?

“Fine,” she answered hotly. Hearing the anger in her voice, he quickly said;

“I’m sorry; I wasn’t trying to really make fun of you. I was worried in case you really did have allergies.” Jessie stared at him hard, wishing to herself that he would just go away.

“Um, I’d better go.” He said, laughing uneasily. Turning away, and preparing to walk up the next flight of stairs, Jessie sighed.

“Wait!” she cried, stepping outside of the door.

“Yes?” he asked, looking over his shoulder at he anxiously.

“Thanks,” Jessie mumbled, “I guess I’d better say goodbye forever too.”

“Why?” Arthur asked, facing her.

“I’m going back to Florida.” She sighed.

“W-why?” he asked again, now it was his turn to stutter. Jessie bit her lip and frowned. Tears stung her eyes, and she rubbed her knuckles over her eyes again to relieve them of the stinging.

“I-I miss home.” She lied, as a few tears escaped when she stopped rubbing her eyes. Arthur reached out to hug her, but she pulled away. Arthur ignored the fact that she didn’t was comfort, and patted her shoulder.

“Don’t touch me.” She snapped in a low voice.

“Sorry,” Arthur replied, shoving his hands into his pockets.
Stuart’s door to his apartment opened suddenly and he stepped out in surprise to stare at Arthur suspiciously.

“Jess?” he asked, looking at first Arthur, and then Jess. Jessie turned and looked at Stuart. “This man bothering you?” he said, glaring at him.

“Oh, Stuart.” She said quietly, shaking her head.

“Fine then, I’ll see you later.” He replied bitterly. Then, slamming his apartment door shut, he walked past Jessie and Arthur in a huff before thundering down the stairs. Jessie stood opened mouthed at Stuart’s boldness. Arthur shifted uncomfortably. Jessie looked at him, and sighed heavily again.

“Would you like some tea?” he asked, obviously wanting to make up. Jessie hesitated. She loved tea as much as her sister did.

“y-yes,” she replied as if she were in a dream.

“Great, come on.” Slowly walking up the flight of stairs leading to the fourth floor, Arthur held onto Jessie’s hand, leading her to his apartment. Reaching the top of the stairs, he pulled her towards the first apartment door. Letting go of her hand, he stuck his hand into his pocket again, and pulled out a silver key. Thrusting it into the hold, he turned the knob, jerking his head for her to come in. Jessie gulped, and moved forward to enter the apartment. A sweet, light smell of fried dough filled her nose as soon as she entered. Remaining light shone through the open window, and small lights on the ceiling clicked on when Arthur snapped on a switch. Colorful rugs covered the hard wood floors, and black, leather couches sat on them. Potted plants were set on end tables placed by windows with black, long curtains. A glass coffee table had been wedged between the leather couch and a mounted 24” plasma television.
A long island counted separated the living room and kitchen. The large, gourmet kitchen was sparkling clean, with stools sitting at the island.

“Wow.” Jessie whispered. Arthur’s apartment was lively and elegant compared to her dim, plain apartment. Arthur smiled, and waved his hand inviting her to the beautifully polished leather couch.

“I’ll get the tea.” He announced cheerfully.

“O-okay,” she replied, sitting down as if the couch would fall into pieces. A great clatter of dishes erupted from the kitchen. Twisting to turn around, Jessie watched as Arthur searched around inside of the cabinets.

“If – I- can – only- find-“he grunted, pausing briefly at every word. After rustling around for a moment, he pulled out a metal teapot in triumph.

“Ha!” he cried, turning on the faucet, and filling it with cold water. “Who was that guy?” Arthur asked, over the sound of water.

“My friend,” Jessie spoke sourly. Arthur shut the water off, and placed the pot onto the large, grey stove. Jessie glanced around staring at the beautiful wall pictures. Scenes of black and white trees hung here and there, while blooming red roses placed in white vase had been painted on a small canvas. A moment later, Arthur handed Jessie a cup of steaming hot tea. The cups were beautiful. They were made of pearly, white porcelain and with delicate flowers painted on them, with the tops rimmed with silver.

“Thank you.” Jessie mumbled, gazing at the cup fondly. She sniffed the tea. It smelled sweet, and of the misty aroma of green tea. Arthur plopped down by her with a black mug in his hand. Sipping the tea, he smiled at her. Jessie glanced at him, and then lowered her eyes.
I just met this guy, and he’s inviting me to tea. I wonder… she thought, looking around suspiciously.

“What are you?” she asked a bit sharply due to thinking bitter thoughts.

“An artist,” he replied, raising an eyebrow. Jessie opened her mouth to speak, thought better of it, and remained silent. Arthur cocked his head to one side, and studied her curiously.

“What?” she asked, shifting uncomfortably, and putting the cup of tea to her lips with a nervous hand.

“Nothing,” he replied with a sigh. “You look like someone I know…” Jessie’s eyes grew wide with curiosity.

“Well, who?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. Arthur furrowed his brow, and frowned thoughtfully. Then, his face lit up with a smile.

“Ah,” he laughed, shaking his head. “It’s best forgotten. More tea?” Jessie studied his face, and saw that a look of sadness lurked on his face, even when he smiled. Thinking of her mother, Jessie rejected his offer for more tea.

“Thanks, but I’d better go. I need to pack my stuff.” The sad look on Arthur’s boyish face was quickly replaced with loneliness.

“Please,” he choked. Jessie raised her eyebrows again as she stood to leave. Hardly knowing what he was doing, Arthur grabbed her hand tightly.
“Let me go.” Jessie snapped, snatching her hand away. “I told you not to touch me.” She turned to go, but two hands were felt on her shoulders. Whirling around, Arthur grabbed her shoulders one more, and shook her. Jessie could not believe what was happening for a moment. She felt trapped in a sticky swamp of pity.

“Don’t go!” Arthur shouted. “Please! You remind me of someone that was special to me.” Jessie shook loose once more, and ran to the door.

“You’re CRAZY!” she yelled, feeling the door for the knob. “Crazy!” Then, opening the door, she ran out and down the flight of stairs. Reaching the bottom, Jessie glanced up, her heart pounding inside of her chest. Breathing heavily, she made her way towards the door to her apartment. Opening it, she stepped inside, shut it, and locked all three locks.

“Was he crazy or what?” she asked herself, feeling sick inside. Closing her eyes for a moment, she shook her head. “Serves me right.” She scolded herself. “I didn’t know him much; so I shouldn’t have gone. But who was that someone he thinks is so special?” A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts. The heart in her chest stopped beating for a moment. A faint like feeling over came her, and her legs felt like spaghetti.

“Who is it?” she called with all her might.

“It’s alright Jess. It’s me.” The voice behind the door answered.

“Who?” she asked again.

“Arthur.” Jess felt like crying, and she sunk to the floor.

“What do you want?” she sneered weakly. That tea, she noted bitterly. It’s making me sick. A tickle in her throat rose up, and her head whirled. Feeling very sick, she inched herself towards the door, and unlocked it with all her remaining energy. Upon opening it, she collapsed.

“Jess?” Arthur gasped, kneeling down, and pulling her into his arms. “You alright?” Jessie looked up into his scared green eyes, and gagged.

“No,” she whispered as reality faded away second by second.

“Hey, lay here. I’m calling 911.” Arthur yelped, gently laying her down. “Jess?” The world whirled around her, and all faded around her into a small hole.
© Copyright 2007 MzNewsome (UN: sekayamarienew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MzNewsome has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/494161-Chapter-2---Arthur