*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/494162-Chapter-1-Never-Giving-Up
Rated: 13+ · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1221615
It's a mystery, a romance, a sister story, a novel.
#494162 added November 6, 2007 at 1:09pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1: Never Giving Up.
Chapter 1
Never giving up.
Rock music blared from the alarm clock set on Jessie's nightstand. Her tousled head poked up from beneath the gray, fluffy blanket that enveloped her. She peered out at the clocks big red numbers, and hit the 'snooze' button. She flopped back the blanket, and stumbled out of bed. The gray morning cold hit her bare arms, and feet as she stretched. Slob stuck in the corners of her mouth as she yawned tiredly. Jessie shuffled her feet into a pair of light, pink slippers as she made her way towards the bathroom. Flipping on the light in the gray dawn, she stopped in front of the sink. The giant mirror reflected her image of a nineteen year old, slim girl with dirty blond hair and giant blue eyes. Despite her grogginess, she smiled into the mirror, reaching for her green, Tolgate tooth brush. Turning the faucet on, she quickly brushed her teeth, leaning forward on the sink for a better view. The minty taste of the tooth paste tingled her taste buds as she brushed it over her tongue.
A little twinkling melody was heard from the bedroom. Jessie rinsed her mouth quickly, and hurried out of the bathroom, and into her messy bedroom. Kicking a deflated ball out of her path, she made her way to the night stand. There, lay a lime green cell phone that was ringing noisily. Picking it up, she quickly pressed the button with a green phone on it, and held it to her small ear.

"Hello?" she answered lightly, brushing the hair from her face.
"Jess?" a female voice asked.
"Yeah," she replied. "Who’s this?"
"Erin." the voice laughed.
"Oh, hey!” Jess cried, plopping down onto her unmade bed. “What’s up?"
"We-ll, I just finished talking to Mr. Chorter." Erin said excitedly, "You know him...right?" Jessie's cheeks reddened in excitement as she gasped out,
"Y-yes. What about him?"
"He found some information on Cheryl." Erin blurted out. A little thump stirred in Jessie’s heart. Cheryl; her younger sister had disappeared in a little town in Florida. She had gone on a school trip with five other selected class mates, and a teacher. None of them ever returned. Jessie clutched at the bed sheet, her fingers growing white at the knuckles. Silence remained, as pictures of her sister flashed into her minds eye. She pictured Cheryl sitting on the edge of her bed, laughing. The eyes in her face shining in their bright blue. Cheryl’s pink lips are curved into a sweet smile, and her golden blonde hair is flowing down her back, reaching her knees.
Jessie swallowed hard, blinking her eyes rapidly to relieve the stinging. Who would want to kidnap, or murder such a pretty, innocent girl? She wondered soberly.
"Jessie?" Erin’s voice bought her back to earth. She released her clasp on the bed sheets.
"Huh?" she asked, wiping away a lone tear with her index finger.
"You alright?"
Jessie cleared her throat, and swallowed a few times before answering.

"Yeah." she reassured her. "I'm fine." She heard Erin sigh over the phone.

"Okay, Mr.Chorter asked you to visit the detectives’ office today. From what he told me, it sounds like the information will be helpful." Erin informed her. Jessie bit her bottom lip hopefully. She would never give up searching for her sister.

"What sort of information?" she asked, her voice rising. Erin cleared her throat loudly over the phone and stuttered,

“I-I didn’t ask.” Jessie shut her eyes tightly, seeing Cheryl’s laughing picture again, and then she reopened them.

“Thanks Erin, I’d better get dressed.” She said, managing to sound cheerful.

“Alright Jess, see you later.”
Jess slowly slid the phone from her ear, and clicked the red phone button. She held the phone to her breast for a moment, and then gently set it down onto the nightstand. Standing up, she steadied herself on her beds head board, and made her way towards her closet. Pushing back the heavy, white doors, she took a black shirt and white, silk blouse from its hanger. Dressing in them, she stared with blank eyes into the mirror that occupied her room. Finishing, she pushed her slender feet into a pair of black heels that strapped all the way up, reaching just below her knees. Swiping her blonde hair into a neat knot behind her head, she studied herself critically.
No make up this time. Jess told herself firmly. She stared at her eyes. They were so much like Cheryl’s in comparison. Her face reddened, and her eyes teared up. Biting her lip to fight the tears, she made her way towards the kitchen in the small apartment where she stayed. She grabbed her leather, black purse off of the counter. Remembering the lime green cell phone on her nightstand, she retrieved it bitterly. She relied on the phone so much. It bought her the news of Cheryl’s search, and the calls from her mother. The phone revolved around her life.

Leaving the apartment, she closed the door behind her. Taking a key from her purse, she thrust it into the key hole, and turned it once.

“Morning Jess.” A voice called behind her. Whirling around, a man in his early twenties stood touching the tip of his blue baseball cap.

“Stuart!” she gasped, putting her hand to her mouth in nervous surprise. A pair of grey eyes twinkled at her as he smiled into her face.

“Going some where important?” he guessed, studying her clothes curiously.
“Ah,” Jess nodded, turning around to pull the key from its hole. “Yes, I’m going to look at some information regarding my sister.” Shaking the door to make sure it was locked, she faced Stuart again. His eyes softened as he reached out to give her shoulder a squeeze.

“You’ll find her.” He whispered comfortingly. Jessie nodded and patted his hand.

“Thanks” she said giving a grateful smile. “I’d better go.” Stuart moved from in front of her, and opened the door to his apartment sitting next to hers.

“Alright, good luck.” He smiled, and prepared to open his door, but stopped short. “Ah, Jess?” Jessie raised her eyebrows, and stared at him questioningly.
“Yes?” she asked.
“Would you consider getting married soon?” he said shyly, trying to grin weakly.
“Uh, no. I don’t have any intention to marry. At least, until I find my sister.” She replied tartly.
“Oh.” And that was the only thing Stuart said before he disappeared into his apartment with a look of bitter disappointment. Jessie blinked rapidly for a moment, and rubbed the rail of the stairs. She glanced at his apartment door, and bit the inside of her cheek. Then, she looked at the stairs, and ran down the three flights of stairs that led to the entrance of the apartment building.

New York City, the activity had increased during the rising of the sun, which had already begun to beat its hot rays down onto the crowded city. It was May, and the weather had taken on an unusually high temperature. Pushing the entry door to the apartment building open, Jessie stepped out into the bright sunshine. Clutching her leather purse to her shoulder, she hurried down the stucco steps, and stood on the edge of the sidewalk.

“Taxi!” she yelled as a taxi cab sped past her and refused to stop. The cab raced past the traffic light before it abruptly turned red. “Darn.” She muttered, irritated at the cabs ignorant hurry to get away from her. Pushing back a stay of blonde hair hanging in her eyes, she focused on another cab that was coming her way. “Taxi, hey!” still no luck. Every cab sped past as she stood waving earnestly. Jessie sighed, and checking the watch on her wrist. Stamping her foot impatiently, she watched as another cab zoomed by.

“No luck?” asked a strange voice behind her. Jumping in surprise, she turned around to face a man she had never seen before. “Sorry,” he chuckled. “Didn’t mean to frighten you.” Jessie couldn’t speak for a moment, as she studied him closely.

“Um, yeah.” She answered when she had found her voice. “No one seems to want any passengers today.” She squinted at the strange, tall man in the bright sunshine. Friendly green eyes shone directly into her blue eyes. Instantly, she was enchanted. The man stepped forward, tucking a newspaper under his arm.

“TAXI!” he screamed, waving his arm wildly. Instantly, a cab that had obviously seen Jessie before, pulled up to the curve, and the driver beckoned for the man to get in. The man bowed to Jess brightly, and opened the door to the cab.

“Here you are hon.” He smiled, stepping back.
“Th-thank you.” Jess stammered, getting slowly and cautiously into the cab. Shutting the door for her, the man tipped his Mets baseball cap he was wearing, and turned away. Awed, Jess stared out the window at him.

“Hey lady,” the driver barked, obviously angry at being deceived, “you gonna tell me where you goin’ or what?” Jess shook her head briskly, and snapped to attention.
“Sorry,” she apologized, digging in her purse for money. “I’ll be going to three-forty West Avenue.” Handing him five dollars, she tried to smile enthusiastically at the drivers glare. Mumbling something, the drive snatched the money from her slender hand, turned around, and slammed on the gas. The sudden force sent Jessie sprawling over the slippery, leather seat. She righted herself, and glared at the drivers back, her face red with anger.

-*-

Pushing a brown door open with sober black letters reading; William James Chorter, Jessie peeked her head into the office where a sulky looking man sat slicing and eating a green Granny Smith apple. Accompanying him, sat a bird like woman who looked sharply at the apples on a paper plate.
“Will, I cannot see how you bear to eat browning apples.” She was saying.
“Nonsense,” William muttered, popping a browning slice into his wide mouth. Looking up, he smiled as Jessie made her way towards the desk. He chewed the apple quickly, and swallowed it with a satisfying ‘gulp’. Standing up, he reached out his hand. Taking it, Jessie held it in hers for a moment before letting go.

“Jess,” the bird like woman smiled, giving her a nod. “Lovely to see you today.” Jessie smiled weakly, and sat down in the leather chair in front of William.

“Erin,” Jessie addressed the bird like woman, and shook her head, “this better be good.” William raised his eyebrows, and glanced at Erin. Opening a drawer in the desk, he pulled out a small, yellow envelope. He slid it across the dusty desk towards her.

“Here’s some evidence, since you say she left wearing a red necktie.” William murmured, watching Jess pick it up with shaking fingers. He put another apple slice into his mouth, and chewed it, watching Jessie’s reaction with interest. Slowly she opened it, wondering what evidence was found of her sister. Pulling out a yellow polka-dotted red necktie, Jess broke into heavy tears. Clutching it, a memory flashed into her mind. She had lent Cheryl the necktie after she made her promise not to lose it. Cheryl had agreed wholeheartedly to not lose it, and had tied it around her slender neck.

“Don’t worry Jessie, this necktie will get back to you, even if I don’t.” she had giggled, giving Jessie a light kiss on the cheek before dashing from the room to catch her school bus. Sobs heaved in her chest as the memory faded. Hiding her face in her hands, she wept quietly, letting the warm, salty tears fall through her fingers. Feeling someone hug her, she looked up. Tears streamed and trickled slowly down her red face. Gasping, she wiped the tears away, partly embarrassed. Erin had put her arms around her tenderly.

“We presume that Cheryl is dead.” William said, swallowing the apple he had been chewing slowly, and shaking his head at her. Something fiery inside of her made Jessie jump up quickly, and push Erin from her roughly.

“No!” she cried, “she isn’t dead until you have proof!” William sighed, and shook his head again.

“Ms. Hamfille, we’ve been searching for your sister for three years. We’re tired now.” He said sadly, poking the remaining apple slices on his plate thoughtfully. Jess leaned forward on the desk, and slammed her palm down sharply onto its top. “We haven’t seen any trace of Cheryl Hamfille. The only evidence of her disappearance is that necktie you hold in your hand. No other evidence has been found, and we give up. I need a good, hearty vacation, and you should understand.”

“I won’t give up looking for my sister.” She growled in a low voice, staring into his eyes.

“That’s good Jessie, but we do” William replied in-a-matter-of-fact tone. “You can search for her as long as you wish, just follow the laws of this country. Meaning, don’t do anything stupid. We all know that your sister disappeared in Croc Town, but we don’t have any proof. She may be dead, probably is dead.” Jessie frowned, and stared into his eyes a moment longer, searching them for another excuse. He stared back, eating another piece of an apple. Then, she turned her back on them.

“Argh!” she screamed, kicking her chair angrily. Erin spoke up softly;

“I’ll help you as much as I can Jess.”

“Whatever you say Erin,” Jessie answered, foaming with rage.
Still clutching the necktie in her hand, she shouldered her purse, and left the office, slamming the door. Another tear trickled down her cheek. Digging through her purse, she retrieved the lime green cell phone. After punching in a phone number quickly, she held it to her ear while it rang. After a few moments, a sweet voice answered.

“Hello?” the voice called.

“Ma?” Jess asked.

“Yes, Jess. Is that you honey?”

“Yeah, ma listen. They don’t want to do it anymore.” Jess blurted out, preparing to weep again.

“Do what?” her mother asked, a bit puzzled. Leaning against the hall way wall, Jessie briefly told her mother of the conversation she had with William.
“…I just don’t understand.” She continued. “I’m going to that town Ma. I’m going to find Cheryl.” Silence remained as her mother hesitated to say something. In the background, a male’s voice demanded,

“Adele, who’s that on the phone?” Jess knew her father had died a year ago, but who was this male speaking?

“Ma?” Jess asked, “Who the heck is that?”

“Um, oh that’s just E- I mean, James.” Her mother replied nervously. Jess twitched. Her mother sounded uncertain.

“I’m coming back to Florida tomorrow.” Jessie decided with a tint of firmness in her voice.

“W-why?” her mother stuttered.

“Because,” Jess muttered, “You need me.” Jessie’s mother coughed softly, and then heaved a sigh.

“Good then, when will you come?” she asked after a moments silence.

“Well, I’m taking the plane, so I’ll get there around 1:00 pm, if I take the night flight tonight. I’ll let you know if anything comes up.” She replied, quickly calculating the times in her head.

“Fine,” her mother mumbled. “I’ll pick you up, give me a ring when you land. Goodbye honey.” Jess heard the phone click, and she knew her mother had hung up. Puzzled, she placed her cell phone back into her purse, and quickly walked down the long hallway, towards the giant brown doors at the end. Her heels clicked softly on the smooth floor, and she glanced back at William’s office door. He and Erin were arguing, she could tell because William’s face looked pinched, and red. Jessie turned away; she didn’t want to find out what they were arguing for. She pushed the brown doors open, and went out into the sunshine once again.
© Copyright 2007 MzNewsome (UN: sekayamarienew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MzNewsome has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/494162-Chapter-1-Never-Giving-Up