*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/497022-Enjoying-the-quiet
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#497022 added March 23, 2007 at 12:19am
Restrictions: None
Enjoying the quiet
I should definitely be writing tonight. Bill is working late, and I have every opportunity. So what do I do? I read other people's stuff. Kyle M is an 11th grader who resented filling out a bio block because of judgments people might make about him. I suppose that's very reasonable. I might not have looked him up if he had not read a flash piece of mine and left me with some very impressive observations. His poem "Merge" impressed me in return.

So, why am I not working on a story? I can't figure out which one to work on next; that's one answer. I'm not very happy with what I've done to the wonderful beginning of "Lingering," but I don't want to be in the editing mode yet. Why not? I'm not in the writing mode either, so that makes no sense. *Confused*

Years ago I thought I was best at writing middles. I wonder why I'm best at beginnings now, and if one way to use that skill might be to end with my starts. Interesting thought that might work occasionally. *Wink*

I surely do like emoticons. Especially since adverbs are frowned on. How else can writers put body language into their stories?

Yesterday I started writing a "gray-scale" story, and had two good characters before I realized I'd already written double the alotted word count and hadn't even found my way to a plot.

Once I thought, before trying to write anything fictional I should add, that an easy way to arrive at a plot would be to write plot elements on index cards and deal out a hand. I've heard of people who use Tarot cards that way. Any experience with that, any of you?

The thing I'm finding disappointing so far about NoWriMo is that ideas are definitely not flowing. I'm plodding through mud wearing hip boots, hoping there's something at the other side of the plowed field that is worth the trip. At some time or another I've actually tried the free writing thing with results, but it isn't happening this month.

Why, oh why, oh why oh...why did I ever leave Ohio? Or, in the words of Steve Martin, "Ramblin', ramblin', ramblin'...."


P.S. Have you ever noticed that newbies with 1's after their names are prone to reviewing your piece with triple hot glowing praise, and then give you a 4? They must be saving up.

© Copyright 2007 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/497022-Enjoying-the-quiet