*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/498400-The-Offer
by Ho Tep
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #900612
The ups and downs of being single in your 30's...early 30's that is.
#498400 added March 29, 2007 at 9:24pm
Restrictions: None
The Offer...
I'm not sure if I've written about this or not, but since October/Novemberish I have been really swamped at work. Year end is always a busy time in insurance; however, this year was harder for me since last May they let go my part-time help. I've been working through it and not complaining..much! *Smile* I just have a ton of work to do on a daily basis and I do what I can do. In addition I am working a 2nd job. I'm not writing this to complain, just necessary information to understand what I'm about to write.

My boss has been worried about me and keeps checking with Naunie, my co-worker, to make sure I'm okay and not going to quit anytime soon. I think it is rather funny, but never hurts to have your boss concerned! *Bigsmile* While Maureen was on her honeymoon a month or so ago we (Jack, my boss, Naunie and I) had a meeting about what needs to be done in the office staff wise. We all anticipate Maureen quitting...she is Naunie's sister, came from money, has money and just married into bigger money, not to mention he is basically retired. I see no reason to work, do you?! *Laugh* Anyway, we all agreed we needed at least a part-time person, but depending on if Maureen leaves or not we may just need a full-time person. To date Maureen has made no mention of leaving; however, she is planning multiple trips. My guess is by the end of summer she will be gone...we'll see!

So the other day Naunie came in to check on me and mentioned Jack came up with a solution for my need of help. Oh, I forgot to mention he was paying his wife to come in to assist me; however, she has only come in twice...maybe three times...in the afternoon. I appreciate whatever help I can get, but in the long run it takes more time to train someone especially if they only help for a few hours. She didn't want to ruin it for me, but gave me a clue as to what it was about. He wants me to quit my 2nd job and to pay me for doing so. Hmmm, now that sounds like a deal to me!! *Laugh*

So today at 3:30pm he stops by my office and asked that I stop to see him before I leave. I thought nothing of it at first, then I started thinking about it...why would he want to see me as I'm leaving...is he firing me?! Crap, I new I shouldn't have checked my Match.com at work!! *Laugh* So I go to see him 5 minutes before I'm ready to walk out the door. He says, "come in and close the door." Never good words!! I stood in the middle of his office looking at him waiting for him to say the words I did not want to hear. I could see all this thoughts running through his head as he attempted to speak and move his hands about only to say, "there is so much I'm not sure where to begin." I stopped him and asked if I should sit for this? He laughed and said it wasn't bad, but I could sit anyway.

He said he can see piles of paper on my desk that never seem to disappear only increase on a daily basis and he sees me working my ass off...yes, he really said the word "ass." *Smile* He said he knows we've discussed the need for a part-time person; however, we all cringe at the thought of looking for someone to fit in our small office even though he knows it would be a big help to me. He also said he knows I'm working a 2nd job even though he realizes it is none of his business and what I do on my personal time is only my business...unless it gets me thrown in jail, then he'd need to know. Funny boss I have! *Smile* He said he figured out the best part-time person...ME. Puzzled, I looked at him and asked if he was intending I split myself in half?! Yep, we have a stupid joking relationship! *Bigsmile* He said what he was proposing is that I stop working my 2nd job and should I feel the need to stay late one day, come in on a rainy weekend or come in early to get a project caught up then fine...if I don't feel like working any extra hours then fine...there would be absolutely no strings attached, he just wants to give me the opportunity to have the option to put in extra hours if it would help me. To do so he would like to increase my pay by $500 a month starting with my next check. He also said this would in no way reflect in my annual review/raise...it is just an extra bump to help give me free time.

I've been sitting here tonight crunching numbers to make sure I'm not missing something. Oh, I forgot to mention what I get paid doesn't get taxes out, so the $500 is actually less when you calculate the tax part, but still! To me it seems like a win win situation; however, I am a little nervous to let go of my extra job/extra income. I do really like the thought of having my life back and having the ability to do what I want when I want instead of waiting for my schedule from my job, which changes on a weekly basis.

Such decisions!!!!

© Copyright 2007 Ho Tep (UN: yellow1671 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ho Tep has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/498400-The-Offer