*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/500884-Now-Theres-Some-Wisdom
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#500884 added April 10, 2007 at 11:20pm
Restrictions: None
Now There's Some Wisdom
I started writing this, then decided that I might save it for tomorrow rather than have a second entry. Then I got another email about something that I just had to share. And don't you know, it's all about wisdom too. I guess that's what I was really waiting for, not for tomorrow. *Bigsmile*

There was a national essay contest for kids - ages 9 to 18 to speak about the importance of health care for children. The coordinators thought they would be lucky if they received a few hundred entries. Weren't they surprised...to receive 4500 entries!!! Obviously this was an important issue for kids! One middle school won a prize for having the most kids enter. Everyone at the middle school - 120 kids - entered the contest.

The grand prize winner in the 9-13 age group is from Ohio. Here's the link where you can read some of the essays. These are some wise kids. And some awesome writers...already.

Grand prize winners:
http://www.childrenshealthcampaign.org/assets/pdf/Grand-Prize-Winners.PDF

All about the contest...winners listed by state:
http://www.childrenshealthcampaign.org/events/national-essay-contest/essay-winne...

On the home page, it says, "More than 9 million children lack health insurance in the United States, the wealthiest nation in the world, and millions more are underinsured." Isn't that a shame? Do you remember when big business started laying off "real" workers and started hiring them back as "contract employees"? That was so they didn't have to provide insurance and other benefits. And the kids in our country suffer every time a parent loses insurance. Doesn't it make sense that healthy kids will lead to having healthier adults? One would think.


********************

I got an email today that talked about gruntled employees. Funny, huh? If disgruntled means you're displeased or discontented, then being gruntled should mean that you're the opposite of that, right? You'd be pleased or contented. But...there may actually be instances when you're not really disgruntled and not really pleased. Perhaps, then, it would make sense to use gruntled. *Bigsmile*

You know how much I love quotes. Here's one: "The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing with new eyes." Marcel Proust

How about this one: “The work will wait while you show a child the rainbow, but the rainbow won’t wait while you finish the work.” -- Patricia Clafford

And some biblical wisdom: “It’s useless to rise early and go to bed late, and work your worried fingers to the bone. Don’t you know he enjoys giving rest to those he loves?” -- Psalm 127:3-4

Speaking of biblical wisdom. When was the last time you read through Proverbs? Now there's some wisdom. *Smile*


Have you ever read the story Acres of Diamonds? Here it is for free:
http://www.48days.com/newsletter/Acres%20of%20Diamonds%20--%20Dan%20Miller.pdf

And now...I really am finished for today. Well...unless I decide to write something about my friend fibro. But don't worry. I'll put a warning in the title so you don't have to read it if you're tired of hearing about it. *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/500884-Now-Theres-Some-Wisdom