*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/501816-Thomas-Little-takes-a-bath
by Shauul
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1247300
Dragons,heroes,quests and more.Insane characters. The dark one wreaks havoc.
#501816 added April 19, 2007 at 5:57am
Restrictions: None
Thomas Little takes a bath.
Thomas takes a bath.

  Thomas Little stared at his reflection .He looked ten years younger than he had just two days before, apart from his hair, which by now was gathered into a single braid. Thomas felt happier today than he had at any other time in his life. The events in the forest were still far from making sense to him but the invigorating lease of life he and Amy had been given made him appreciate every breath that left his lungs. For now life was good and he smiled once more at his reflection.

  Steam fogged his view so he tossed the metal mirror onto his crumpled clothing, which lay in an untidy pile close by.

  Thank god, the village blacksmith had fashioned this tub to cater for himself Thomas mused and grinned as the blacksmiths bewildered face was conjured by a memory.

  Yes, that was the correct way to deal with the big man. He had learned this trick early in life from his father.

  Even though Thomas senior was more than capable with his fists, he was better known for his nose crunching head butt, it had become legendary in Newhaven.

  Thomas senior often said to his son that he preferred the look of bewilderment that sprang to life on his victim’s face when non-violent tactics were employed.

  This made men like the Littles very dangerous indeed .Men would nudge each other in the side when either passed by. An understanding had blossomed back in Newhaven the Littles were not to be trifled with.

  Humans’ interacting with humans was the way of things in Newhaven and Halfway. Man the conqueror the explorer had stumbled upon a new world where new rules applied.

Time had a way of twisting the rules to suit no one but itself as the day of change drew near.
  Mankind had slipped several steps down the food chain from the day the first human foot was planted on Eirith. Humankind instead of being born here had been ejected like dung by the bowel of the Breach.

  The order of things now hastened to balance these changes that were rudely forced upon it by this intrusion.

  Thomas had so much to think upon he was mired down in confusion. Thoughts like cattle bottlenecking a gateway all rushed forward, their collective eagerness prevented individual advancement.

  Such are his thoughts as he lay stewing in satisfaction this morning.

  If anything he was a practical man his wife was still alive and for all he knew their newly acquired son could have been a gift from the gods considering the manner in which they had met.

  Amy had risen earlier and had left their room at the inn with Shamuel to set about putting order to their lives.

  Thomas closed his eyes and let out a long lazy sigh that was abruptly interrupted by a firm knock on the door.

  Instinctively he slowly opened an eye to reaffirm the location of his sword standing against the table a few feet from the bath. Satisfied he tightened his grip on the eighteen-inch hunting blade that rested beneath the bubbles engulfing him.

  “Enter,” he called out.

  With that the door opened and a balding, fat jolly looking man complete with rolled up sleeves and spotless white apron entered the room. He carried a steaming mug of something spiced and obviously very hot.

  “Well well well” the man greeted Thomas with a look of surprise on his cheerful face.

  “This is the first time I ever thought to see a pair of legs dangling from that tub”

  Thomas wriggled his toes and lifted them up in response to the innkeeper’s observation.

  “Aye indeed. All the same its a fine tub Master Farrelly, your smith has a talent after all it seems, and what’s more The Honey pot is a credit to you and your good wife, a finer inn will be as hard to find as a bigger tub ill wager.”

  The innkeeper beamed a look of pure pleasure, what a pleasant guest this giant man was turning out to be.

  He was tempted to stay and engage the man further but decided otherwise, the Honey Pot took a lot of organizing if it was to keep drawing the bees through its doors.

  “I’ll leave you to it sir and maybe we will have a chance to talk later, at your pleasure of course,” and with that he rearranged the towels for the big mans convenience and left making sure the door was closed firmly behind him.

  Thomas Little relaxed his grip on the hunting knife and closed his eyes once again. Some of the cattle it seemed had made it through the gate.

  Amy was having a busy morning; little Sam she held in her arms. She had purchased suitable clothing and shoes for him at the market place.  He looked so cute she cannot help smiling as she made her way through several bunches of shoppers.

  He seemed to have actually grown since last night and she wondered how long it would be before she had to fight her way through this throng again.

  The market was situated in the centre of the town. Merchants shouted meaningless promises boasting the exaggerated quality of their wares. They commanded all the prime locations with which to pounce on any unwary shoppers who looked like they had more money than sense.

  As Amy made her way back to their lodgings people pushed by her. Some were even rude enough to bundle her out of their path.

  ” It will not be long before Halfway is the size of Newhaven Sam” she said to the little boy as she hugged him clear of harms way.

  Though the houses were arranged in a disorderly fashion the twisting streets eventually found one another and progress became relatively easy. A constant stream of men on horseback made their way about the winding roads occasionally numbering dozens at a time and Amy wondered how the ground remained so free of the droppings that normally fouled the streets in Newhaven.

  The answer came swiftly as if on cue. A woman rushed out of her home as soon as a steaming pile was deposited. With shovel and bucket in hand, she quickly spirited the pile a way.

  It was clear now to Amy why the inhabitants of Halfway went to such trouble to collect the constant supply of manure from the streets. She stopped to admire the prolific foliage on display in the disappearing woman’s garden and a smile touched her lips.

  Within a few hours she had secured her bearings finding out what was what and where was where.  Her family’s needs were simple they needed somewhere permanent to set up home. She gained directions to the town elder’s place of business and lodged a request for a parcel of land with which to build upon and farm.

  This would take a few days she was informed;” The elders will look into matters and find a suitable property for you and your family” she eventually told by a tired looking clerk.
  With that, she provided notice as to where they were staying and left the man to retrace her steps back to the Honey pot.





  The elves

  There was a place on Eirith where the proper order to life was still respected if not revered.

  Many hundreds of leagues to the south of Halfway lived a relatively peaceful people as yet unknown to mankind but well known to others. A race of hunter-gatherers they infused their domain with love and like the caring gardener tirelessly they tended to their homelands.

  A dark and impenetrable forest concealed these secretive people and from within their realm, contentment could fulfil its full potential.

  Rich golden vales were overrun by game and filled to bursting point with many other forms of life for the elves complimented Eirith like a well-worn shoe its weary traveller.
  They numbered in their tens of thousands a nation stood strong not yet on the brink of greatness but close, for the germ had not found purchase there.

  Two beautiful people rested in perfect harmony by a crystal clear pool. It marked the centre point of the Elvin stronghold; Lllenvoondalel.Which simply translated in their neighbour’s dwarven tongue as Elvindale home to the guardians of the gardens.

  “Please tell me more of Shauul”the younger of the two sitting by the waters edge broke the silence. An eternity came and went before the older elf lifted his head to reply.

  “Please Avronne I wish to learn more” the questioning elf lord added.

  “My lord your questions flow like the waters of the Wyrr as it winds its way to the furthest tip of our homeland once there it is consumed by the Great Hollows yet still it manages to reappear many leagues distant at a higher level to embrace the mighty ocean at Silvars Doom.” He took a small breath then continued.

  “Some would argue that it continues across the great oceans to other lands but those are arguments for wiser elves than I” he trailed off allowing the silence to begin anew.

  Mouth a gape as is usual when talking to Avronne, the elf lord sat patiently with his wise tutor. Both had spent many hours debating worldly matters from battle tactics to philosophy and the one thing he had learned above all else was that answers came to those that listened carefully.

  “A wise man listens while the fool teaches,” the tutor said with a sigh.

  Shauul was sacred to the elves. So much so, it was more feeling than law.

  Elvin magic was the purest of the known magic’s for it was born of service to the land, to create rather than to destroy. Their gift in return came tenfold. Long life, abilities way beyond those of mortals made the elves the most powerful beings on Eirith.

  “Shauul” the tutor whispered and then he stopped.

  “Shauul is everything and yet no more than a beast”

  “My next words will do him an injustice for he is beyond words and mine will surely fail me”

  “The giants say he is here to balance the forces that constantly ebb and flow between the heavens and Eirith. Even the soul of the humble ant rejoices in his dreams.

  The gods have given us a purpose, the power to live and grow for life is ours to explore.

All life replicates seeking perfection and in seeking perfection we risk it all.

  The germ if you will is an entity so small that the gods had overlooked it. When this world was created, arrogance was to blame for such an error. In order for good to have meaning, we must understand its brother and that my lord is what the germ is.

  For us to feel joy we must have had felt sorrow first for it to have significance. For us to embrace light we must first know darkness. Before you descend the mountain, you must first climb the mountain. The gods in there eagerness to create forgot about the germ.”

  “I don’t think I quite understand tell me more of the germ,” the younger elf asked.

  “My understanding is limited my child for in order to learn we must be willing to pay the price. If I tell you the flame will consume and burn all it touches in order for you to fully understand what I mean you must see for yourself and touch the flame, pain brings an understanding.

  The germ is not evil, as we understand evil to be. It is the valley to the mountain the tear to the sound of joy, it is the balance of nature and it struggles like we do to reach perfection.

  If the germ reaches its goal we will be destroyed, for perfection to this entity is to consume its creator. Its creator is our creator the consequences for Eirith are best forgotten my child.

  Life is a circle and the very nature of a circle is no beginning and no end, no end and no beginning. We must die to live, the circle destroys its self and the result is I am not so sure of anything anymore. The more I learn the more I realise I do not know. Sometimes I wish I had been born a simpleton for knowledge eats away like a cancer and I am no better off today than I was as a babe. Maybe this is the circle I speak of. It certainly feels so. The longer I live the closer I feel to the end but enough for my tongue prattles at the slightest opportunity and I do not wish to bore you my lord!”

  “Never Avronne, never boring. Confusing yes but that in itself is not a crime. Please tell me more of Shauul”the lord will not let matters go.

  “Aah my child the great dragon is guardian to the gods their watch dog if you may.

Created before the germ by mere whim alone a lucky twist to fate .The gods have created a weapon my boy to combat the hound of chaos. To maintain the natural order of things feeding on evil where it finds it, sharing love with those who seek it, a beast no weapon cast in hate can kill and an enemy to fear lord an enemy to fear”.

  A flood of endless possibilities consumed the young elf, one final question emerged above all others.

  “What of the germ Avronne, where does it hide?”

  The troubled elf was silent as he stared once more into the clear deep pool that reflected the rising moons of Eirith.

  At last he turned to face his charge and simply replied” For now it is bound and guarded. Only fools would seek its release”

  Evening descended the clearing as a mighty roar sounded in the distance startling the younger elf it seemed a creature of power had been awoken.

  Avronne’s last words were “Shauul hunts”


  The germ

  How can one explain the nature of the germ? Certainly, Avronne historian and tutor to the elves could not. It would take many lifetimes indeed and all of which were of no consequence to its existence.

  Every thing came into being for a reason. Even the gods could not argue any differently, it was the way of the universe.

  There were powers that governed powers and in turn, lesser powers ruled lesser powers. This pattern was repeated till one decreased the combatant’s standings to infinity.

  Fundamentally, if the universe was to survive the ultimate forces were but two in numbers.
.
  All arguments must be set aside for the true nature of the germ to be revealed.

  Everything must have an opposite for without there cannot be just one. Good as an entity must be balanced by bad. If one excelled the other must give ground to accommodate the shift. In doing so, the balance will be broken but the nature of equals will be to remain equal so the lesser of the two must strive to re assert itself.

  The germ was one of the two ruling powers that governed the possibility of existence. It was the minus to the plus, they battled as night did day.

  In the past, the germ was the most potent force on Eirith commanding legions from this world and beyond. All bowed to the germ. Its enemies were crushed and melded with creatures of its own design, to carry on its bidding and even in death the germ would not relinquish its hold. The dead were commanded to rise repeatedly and do their masters bidding the germ was relentless.

  Great Hordes of troll consumed elfin armies while goblin and dwarf battled to the death.  Giants ensnared other creature’s demon spawned and magic ripped from the heart of this beautiful land was used to kill and maim in the most horrible fashion imaginable.

  The oceans roiled to boiling point and conquered the lands driven by gargantuan monsters summoned from the fathomless depths.    Eirith answered this invasion by spewing forth molten rock from smoking black pits that exploded like infected pustules from within its crust pushing back the advancing oceans but losing the battle in doing so.

  The germ consumed any living thing that came within its noxious grasp.

  Naming the two as good and evil was to over simplify matters.

  Take for example the humble ant. It exists to feed and multiply. It consumes all within its reach, building in such vast numbers that the balance shifts till the ant’s tiny world can no longer sustain it. Ant and its world have reached stalemate in the great game of life. To multiply further is futile and to reason is not in the ant’s nature.

  The population will perish. Upon doing so, the ant finds itself alone once again and the cycle repeats itself. The ant must follow the path; it exists by the rules of its own nature.

  The germ must live by those rules to. Chaos had befallen Eirith.On land creature battled creature for ultimate power the germ consumed all these resources quickly. For this is the nature of the germ. It has been given many names but it is better known to all as evil.

  Evil was destined to fail as the ant did and the forces of good strived to restore the balance in its favour.

  Survival simply depended on the time of ones birth. For the lucky this was within the last, several hundred years of peace and for Sam Little his time was fast approaching for yet again the pendulum swung from good to its counterpart .He will in the years to come fight or be consumed.

  Eirith stood on the precipice, nations must stand in readiness for the battle approached the hounds of chaos will soon be unleashed.

  Shauul was much weakened by so many years of butchery and unrest. The evil that had almost destroyed Eirith had reduced its life-giving magic till it no longer nourished the dragon.

  It patrolled the skies during the great wars desperately consuming evil whenever it revealed itself. It feasted on troll herds decimating them. The dark destroyer reduced goblin strongholds to smouldering ruins as red-hot fire burned till none could stand before it. Evil sought refuge within the great beasts of the forest and in creatures of nightmare that inhabited swamp and cave but it could not escape. Evil faced the wrath of the beast and perished torn from existence by tooth and claw.

  Shauul gorged on tainted flesh. The dragon tore limb from limb until the evil was reduced to a pitiful thing as it fled before its nemesis. It sought the last hiding place on Eirith.

  Evil became a single piece of reality the smallest molecule capable of sustaining it.  Cowering within this tiny life form, it hid hoping to escape the might of the dragon for it was all but finished. Curling up within itself it waited out its time as the smallest living thing on Eirith the humble germ.

  Finding refuge in a creature not normally bothersome enough to attract the dragon’s attention but troublesome enough to keep the germ alive it waited. This creature was known to but a few as a gremlin.

  The gremlin made the perfect host for the germ as its very nature was mischief and chaos. The gremlins insatiable curiosity for all things made it an unpredictable entity but an ideal hiding place.

  At the height of the great wars, the evil had become so malignant and powerful it had manifested itself finally as a single being that became known simply as the dark lord. Those he hunted gave him a name but few now remember for that name had power.

  Created by the evil that ravaged the land, the gremlin roamed free and the dark lord never even knew its own dark secret.

  At the height of the great wars, it had been born a bastardisation of many magic’s rolled into one.  The tiny fragments left as crumbs by its master and others was what it consisted of. A shape shifter by nature, a mimicker of thoughts and emotions its victim’s negative emotions fed the little beast and know one knew it even existed.

  The world grew quite as the gods gathered and held council and all that time the germ hid and the gremlin plied its trade.

  However, who can hide from the gods? Soon they recognized it for what it was and with the aid of two giants who for some unknown purpose of their own helped Shauul imprison the gremlin and its deadly germ for all time far from the world of the living.


  The prison of Sshaska e Var

  The two eager dwarfs gathered their bits and pieces and stepped over the splintered remains of the door.

  ” How are we going to explain this to them back at home then Mr. bright ideas ”Oriin asked as the implications of what they had just done dawned on him. The thrill of doing something obviously wrong had waned.

  “That lock was there for a reason ill wager, the hairs on the back of my head are standing to attention something feels amiss Erruel.”

  “You pick the funniest times to grow a conscience Oriin, always after I get myself into trouble and never before”Erruel said feeling more than a little put out by his friends remarks.

  “As I have said before, may as well have done the deed if we are to be punished and besides no body ever comes down this way, we can fix up the door when we get back with the treasure. Think of all the horses and pies we can buy with a kings gold my friend, we will return as heroes the girls wont laugh at you then, ill wager my horse on it”

  Oriin thought on what his friend had just said and then suddenly realized what the taller dwarf implied he went immediately on the defensive. “What do you mean by that, the girls don’t laugh at me?” he countered.

  “Yes they do Oriin quit fooling yourself this isn’t the time or the place we’ve got a lot of adventuring to do if we’re going to get back in time for supper” Erruel turned to stare at the little man.

  “Would you prefer to go back to work with the others? I am going to take a quick look all the same with or without you”

  The smaller dwarf his self-confidence in tatters by Erruels cruel remark about the girls, just dropped his eyes to the ground and said “Lets go then, no harm in taking a look I suppose. Just lets be quick about it and no more smashing things up, ok!”He added.

  “Ok you’re the leader”Erruel smiled as this last remark brought a cheerful look from his friend.

  ”I’m just looking out for us that’s all doesn’t hurt to be careful does it?”

  With that, the two started the long trek into the unknown, which until today a living thing in generations had not violated?

  Above the entrance to the tunnel in script the two dwarfs had not even noticed written in a tongue they could not even understand, left by someone much taller than they were the words.

“Errin dore Sshaska e var ouuth meruth a bhor ven Muthor all verith en naskhuual”

  Which meant to those that should know better,” here lies the creature Sshaska e var, host to the germ, destroyer of nations, enter fools and share our doom”



  The gremlins eyes slowly opened to reveal two tiny yellow stars in the blackness of its captive world. It had been imprisoned for generations unable to break the spells that bound it forever deep within the bowels of Eirith.

  It had ceased in its struggles long ago exhausting itself with dark incantations and words of powerful magic that only true masters could attempt.

  Gone was the time of chaos created by its tormentor where it had meddled unchecked in the hearts of the living. Where it had covertly shaped the destinies of nations a destroyer in its own right for it served the germ as a slave would.

  The Two Brothers sacrifice bound it with the strongest magic of all and now it waited and slept. Its dreams were enough to keep it alive and occasionally it would wake and talk to tiny life forms that wandered within its influence.

  Its prison was Ural Muthrathe –the gateway to the spirit world.

  Sshaska a shape shifter and meddler in hopes and dreams a granter of wishes that turn about face. Everything is to be twisted he whispered.  His smile faded as he remembered, treacherous wrong doings, his life had always consisted of one bungled disaster after another.

  For that was what he was, a tool to be used at will, yes, this much he knew now and it burned hotly upon his soul.

Charming and friendly his nature curious too but a curse placed by his master brought to fruition another’s agenda.

  He’s had the best intentions. Suddenly pain like he had not felt for lifetimes wracked his body seeking control the germ stirred.

  Sshaska the hound obeyed for now.


  Rescue.

  Night fell peacefully on the small village of Trilling Brook Rise. All about the cheerful village lights flickered occasionally as vigilant mothers drew curtains to keep the chill of the approaching night from entering their little sanctuaries.

  The aromas of evening meals lovingly prepared wafted among the returning dwarf miners each lost in their own thoughts drawn to their dwellings by familiar scents.

  Children’s laughter broke the silence announcing another peaceful close to an otherwise tiring day.

  Slowly but surely, the returning group thinned out as each found his refuge and retired with a last wave to friends and fellow workers.

  The promise of a fine meal and warm fire cuts short the need to gather and chat, each was instead eager to return to their loved ones.

  Nobody realized that their number was less two. Oriin and Erruel had been missing for over ten hours a testament to the amount of work they usually did for none even noticed their absence.

  The village was small by dwarf standards for the simple reason dwarves in general still favoured living below ground rather than above it.

  This made the Rise even more special to the dwarf nation; it demonstrated a willingness to live amongst nature for the first time since the great wars.

  The only sign of life outside those cheerful little homes was provided by a few of the gatherers that took it upon themselves to keep vigil on the village they were as always accompanied by their short eared hunting dogs.

  These dwarves numbered a little over fifty and were responsible for hunting game and keeping larders well stocked while the rest of the dwarf males worked the mine.

  Many volunteered for the task some having no families of their own yet; they made sure their village remained secure.

  With over four hundred homes to protect few had the opportunity to enjoy a night beside the fire with nothing more to do then smoke their pipes and relax lost in the company of their own thoughts.

  Night descended further; the moons in full splendour reached their zenith as lights went out one by one. The dwarf community retired; a comforting peace blanketed the sleepy village lulled by the hypnotic sounds of the night.

  Podder Moone stopped to relight his pipe by the brook as it quietly flowed through the village. He always enjoyed this quiet time to himself.

  By day he was Trilling Brooks most successful gatherer and amongst the villagers was treated with obvious affection bordering on reverence, it was a constant source of great embarrassment to the modest little hunter.

  Last summer a group of dwarf children had disappeared. One minute they were playing by the bridge that crossed the brook the sound of their laughter and hoots of joy reassuring mothers that all was well and then the next minute they were gone.

  The men had long since left to work the mines and gatherers gathered somewhere deep in the forest.

  Birds sang in the shaded treetops each warning a rival to keep its distance and often-shrill tones reached fever point and then ceased as disputes were settled by song alone.

  Huge Butterflies struggled to stay afloat above islands of flowers that drowned in oceans of colour giving Trilling Brook Rise more than a feeling of paradise. Added to this, impossibly tall well-dressed trees guarded the peaceful community letting no one but the elves know it even existed.

  All of a sudden, nothing happened and the six children simply vanished.

  No bird song and no cries of joy, alarm bells to chatting mothers.

  At first names were called then shouted and lastly screamed.

  Old dwarf men and anybody else within hearing rushed to the scene and gathered about the spot where the children had played moments before. A few discarded items of clothing and favourite toys normally jealously guarded littered the area by the bridge.

  “Ring the bell fetch the men from the mine the children are missing hurry “someone shouted.

  Confusion threatened to take over.

  “Clear the area touch nothing wait for the gatherers,” a sensible old dwarf said with authority. By now, a large crowd cleared to a safer distance.

  The alarm bell rang for what seems an eternity a deep and resonating sound that could be heard for many leagues in all directions.

  Finally, it stopped as large parties of men returned to the village as fast as their short legs would allow.

  The search had begun in earnest, the scene of the disappearance was examined meticulously by the hunters and not a track or trace or any other indication as to where the children had gone could be found.

  Mothers were frantic as Podder Moone returned to the village some hours later. He walked out of the forest with his dog taking the lead.

  Carrying a stag on his enormous shoulders he approached.

  Hunters that worked on their own usually butchered the kill where it fell removing heavy innards and all other unnecessary body parts so that it was possible to carry stags and the like back by ones self.

  Podder walked up to the crowd carrying the animal totally unaware as to what had happened. It had been three hours since the alarm bells had ceased and he was the last one to return.

  The worried look on the others men’s faces the discarded items scattered about the area next to the bridge now closely guarded so as not to be disturbed indicated to Podder that something was amiss.

  He dropped his burden to the ground a look of confusion was added to the other worried looks clearly evident on his comrade’s faces.

  Podder Moone had not heard the alarm bells and returned earlier as did the rest, because Podder Moone had been born deaf.

  This was only a minor hindrance to the greatest hunter in the village. He was born into a silent world and knew nothing of the joys of hearing.

  He never spoke, had never even tried, and had given up years ago even wondering why everybody around him constantly moved his or her mouths so much. It was comical to him.

  A silent child grew into a silent man.

  Being deaf had given Podder other gifts in its place. He possessed a unique way of viewing the world.

  He could see where others cannot his eyesight uncanny. His mind sharpened by years of silent thoughts his constant companions, had tutored the hunter beyond the realms of the intellectual.    His eyes sparkled a piercing blue, the like of which was extremely rare among the dwarf nation.  A friendly smile split his enormous beard; Podder Moone was a very content man.

  The mother of the disappeared approached him quickly. Beseeching looks were enough to melt even the coldest heart.

  Podder needed no further incentive from this woman. He knew and loved all the children in the village; the six missing children particularly were dear to him for they were his own flesh and blood.

  He sprang into action gathering his short hunting bow, spear and ever-present double bladed axe.

  He motioned for his dog to follow him. Walking about the play area, he examined everything down to the tiniest detail.

  No evidence of a struggle this offered small relief. Tracks both to and from the area were non-existent.

  The hunter stood motionless seemingly lost in thought. His eyes came to rest on something under the bridge thirty paces from where the children had played.

  Unseen by others who had searched prior to his arrival the clues as to what had happened did exist but then again no one else possessed his skills.

  He walked over to the place that had caught his attention. Hidden by the failing light were signs that something had indeed lain in wait concealed under the large wooden supports of the bridge.The ground here was muddy being just inches from the water but the indentations were unmistakable to the experienced tracker.

  A clear set of prints made by a creature of considerable size was almost hidden by overhanging bushes.

  The smell from the visitor was evident too a heavy musk accompanied two sets of enormous six clawed prints. It could only mean one thing to Podder Moone.

  A parents nightmare, not only was this creature a cunning predator it also possessed brutish strength far in excess of his own and worse still it was a wielder of magic.
  Podder returned to the group his ever-present smile gone for now an unmistakable look of concern took its place.

  He put his arms around his wife to comfort her as best as he could.

  Meanwhile many gathered around sharing in this family’s grief. Long moments passed before Podder released his wife from his embrace.

  The others looked on questioningly but respectively. They waited patiently for the hunter to share what he had found.

  With the tip of his hunting bow, Podder started to scrape letters into the dirt. Everyone crowded closer to the hunter to get a better view of what he had written the tension had reached breaking point by this time.

  Finished he stood aside and the word R’aaeghoul was etched in the dirt for all to see. Cries of astonishment and fear, especially for the missing children and the parents of the missing broke out among the villagers.

  All this was lost to Podder.Confusion as to what must be done next gripped the dwarves as hot debates broke out.

  When order was finally restored, Podder and the dead stag were both missing.

  The hunter knew what must be done. He had never actually encountered this creature before but had in the past seen some unusual tracks about his homeland indicating its presence.

  Most knowledge he had gained about the creature came from the few books the elders loaned to families upon request.

  Podder was one of the few hunters that could read more than just the tracks of wild animals for he had a passion for reading and that day it had paid off.

  As he made his way through the trees, his mind assembled all the bits of information he had learned about the creature out there.

  It hunted primarily by scent and was a voracious killer. Its constant need for fresh meat made it opportunistic and extremely versatile.

  However, why had it entered the village when the mountains positively teemed with game? This puzzled him greatly.

  One thing was known for sure it used magic to entrance unwary victims. Its soft song like crooning held those within hearing in a vice like grip the results were almost unthinkable. He forced those thoughts from his mind.

  The R’aaeghoul must leave the village far behind before it can kill its captives. It obviously wished to keep its whereabouts unknown to the dwarf hunters.

  Travelling swiftly to the place where he had last seen its tracks on previous hunts, he dropped the freshly killed stag to the forest floor and examined the ground before him.

  Fresh spoor was evident here leading to a track that veered to the north towards higher rocky ground seldom travelled by anyone he knew of.

  Kneeling he pondered what to do. His mind was a jumble of emotions.

  The brush parted to his left and a shadow sprang clear knocking him down. He grabbed for his hunting knife. In the failing light hampered by the thick covering of trees yet to thin out for the approaching winter he wrestled his powerful assailant having been completely taken by surprise.

  A warm tongue flashed from between huge teeth seeking his face. A hunting dog big enough to frighten anyone greeted him like a long lost friend.

  He cursed himself for forgetting his partner and as he lay on the forest floor, the hulking dog pinned him to the ground licking furiously at his master’s face.

  Soldier. He said in his mind. Thank god, it is you.

  With that, the dog ceased its licking and immediately stood to attention as if the silent thoughts of Podder Moone were a command.

  The dog’s small ears sprang erect as its head turned sniffing the air a low growl instantly erupted.

  The hackles on its neck stood out visibly. This he had come to recognize on many occasions meant the dog had caught the scent of something and if he did not know better the dog was clearly frightened.

  Podder climbed to his feet as the dog went motionless as if held in a trance he immediately sensed what was happening.

  The R’aaeghoul had caught the scent of the dead stag and was approaching to investigate sensing the pair, as it must.

  The plan he was working on had worked but the timing was totally unexpected. He stood his ground. Motionless he remained as his mind worked out quickly what it was he would do.

  A hand dropped to the axe and loosened it ever so slowly in its harness. The haft lay within easy reach as he readied himself. He cleared his mind of all other thoughts as he acted as if in a trance and waited gathering his strength and more important his courage.
  Scant moments later directly before him two huge clawed hands parted the bushes ever so slowly six feet above the ground.

  They were slowly followed by a large set of blood red eyes that transfixed his own. A huge gaping maw displaying sharpened fangs then appeared as a wolf like head hovered into view.    Soldier his hunting dog-remained statue like.

  The creature was bringing its magic to bear on all within its influence. The legendary crooning with which the monster was fabled to render its prey helpless filled the night.
  Slowly the beast cleared the bushes till it came to a halt within the clearing.

  It was truly enormous. Arms covered in coarse black hair reached out before it. Claws deadly to the touch opened and closed menacingly as drool soaked its shaggy chest. It looked about hungrily as it took in the dead stag at Podder’s feet.

  Eyes locked on the hunter; it continued its deadly song and approached its victims.

  Podder’s only thought was the safety of his children, they were near, and he must survive to save his precious ones, they were the one greatest joy in his life.

  Even though soldier was a large powerful beast, the R’aaeghoul simply stepped over him determined to rip the life from the dwarf caught in its magic.

  Demon like eyes stared as irises focused with murderous ambition. A cruel grin warped the creature’s mouth. Wolf like snout came within inches of Podders head as hot rancid breath formed a cloud about the hunter’s head.

  Obvious delight was evident in the creature’s eyes an unexpected bonus was there for the taking for one as ravenous as he.

  Podder’s fingers closed about the shaft of the double bladed axe for timing was now of the essence.

  The creature was on the verge of striking. It was unaware that Podder Moone was completely deaf until it was too late.

  With one enormous burst of strength born of pure unadulterated fear, Podder swung the axe as he dragged it clear of its harness.

  It quickly travelled in a huge arc coming down square on the R’aaeghoul. Twelve inches of sharpened cold steel disappeared into the shaggy brow of the monster, as all hell suddenly broke loose.

  The spell of the R’aaeghoul was broken and the hunter’s dog as big as a wolf immediately turned about and launched itself with such ferocity it left Podder astonished.

  Soldier’s formidable jaws grabbed the larger beast by the jugular as he twisted his bulk madly to rip a mouthful of hairy gore from the R’aaeghouls throat.

  The creature flailed about and tried to claw its attackers to pieces. The handle of the axe lodged in a branch and twisted as the monster made to grab the dwarf with its razor sharp claws.

  The axe forced the gap it had made in its forehead even wider and blood and brain escaped smothering its owner in its own life-giving fluids.  Soldier launched to attack again but the monster was already dead before its mutilated carcass hit the ground at Podders feet.

  Shouts erupted all around him and yet again, Podder was unaware of them. He stood where he fought.

  His own urine visibly soaked the front of his buckskin trousers. The clearing burst into light. Dwarves appeared from everywhere with torches aflame. Snarling hunting dogs strained on leashes as the hunters finally found their man.

  Everyone stopped to stare in awe at the murdered monster before Podder. Each hunter stood rooted to the spot in absolute awe.

  A wild cheer broke the silence as friendly faces mobbed Podder again but the little hero was lost in his world of silence.

  The first words any dwarf had ever heard from Podder Moone in his fifty years among them, were the muffled and barely recognizable” Please find my babies”

  Immediately they searched the area determined not to fail their friend until his six children were found bound together only a dozen paces from the creature’s den.

  That was how close they had come to a truly horrific death and their rescuers did not miss this realization as all hugged each child repeatedly.

  Podder Moon took a few more draws on his pipe and exhaled a ring of smoke into the air. He continued his vigil of the Village this night Soldier as always at his side the only married man to do so.



  Little Sam

  The Honey Pot was home to the Littles as both Thomas and Amy began a new life in Halfway.  Eventually a week after Amy had lodged her petition with the elders a letter arrived and was courteously delivered personally by Master Farrelly. A big grin clearly got the better of him as he approached Thomas.

  “I hear the elders have finally got up off their backsides and done something about giving you a bit of land. Thomas this is what we get for electing big men with small dreams. How is it that a little bit of power goes straight to men’s heads?    They just sit in that building arguing about goodness knows what till the cows come home.  Next year I am going to vote for my mule at least, he will get things moving around here. I don’t know why we bothered in the first place,” the innkeeper said in one long breath.

  Thomas Little smiled when the owner of the inn stopped his ravings to catch his breath. In the little time he had known this man, he sensed a bond growing between them.

  He felt very comfortable in the innkeepers company. The friendly little man had gone out of his way to make the Little family feel as welcome as if they were relatives of his own blood.  Thomas wondered if it had to do with Master Farrelly having no children of his own to make a fuss over.

  He had certainly taken Sam under his wing that was for sure. In the week since their arrival, the two-year-old boy had become a source of wonder to all that lived and worked at the Honey Pot.

  His harrowing ordeal back in the forest seemed not to have had any lasting ill effects on the little lad.

  Already back on his feet the child was nearly impossible for either himself or Amy to keep under their watchful eye.

  His energy seemed limitless and he displayed an amazingly curious nature. Always asking questions and getting up to all kinds of mischief, watching over him would be a full time job to the adoring father and adopted grandfather.

  Sam had become something more than Thomas could have hoped for from being a stepfather. He loved the little child of this he was certain. The thoughts of teaching him about life as did his own father before him excited him in away Thomas could not explain.

  Already he was astonished by the changes in his little son since they had arrived. For one he seemed to have grown considerably his vocabulary was the equal to a boy twice his age.  In the space of one week, they had to buy him a complete set of new shoes and clothes for he had outgrown the others in days.

  The dark growth on his chest had shrunk by at least a third and Thomas was much relieved by this, as was his wife.

  One disturbing issue Thomas can not ignore was the fact that any animal Sam came into contact with goes absolutely berserk and if not able to flee will submit before the boy cowering and showing signs of great distress till the child places a hand on it to comfort the beast.

  From that touch, the animal was befriended but the change in the beasts was worrying to say the least for Thomas Little.

  Everywhere the cheery little fellow went something or other tagged along too. Most often this place was jealously guarded by the innkeepers giant Mastiff.

  The dog’s normal job was to guard the storehouse and stable yard attached to the rear of the inn but now it spent most of his time following little Sam.

  The boy had already told his father that he planned to ride Fluffy the very next day.

  When Thomas asked the innkeeper one evening why such a ferocious brute had been given a name like Fluffy the little man roared with laughter.

  “You can thank my good lady wife for naming the beast it is her doing not mine. She found him as a stray puppy left behind by a group of travellers two years ago. She came home one day with a little fur ball no bigger than a loaf of bread. The little pup had so much hair she named him Fluffy.  You can imagine how embarrassed that made me feel I can tell you.

  Now I don’t know. Even though he is not very hairy, I think the name suits him. He’s become a talking point that’s for sure”.

  This was how the giant hunting dog had got its name. Thomas found the story absolutely hilarious and added to the conversation” I guess me and Fluffy share the same joke then Master Farrelly “

  The innkeeper looked at the big man and laughed out” Aye I suppose you do, ” as he cleared the table restoring order to the inns common room.

  “Come sit with me awhile my friend I have need of advice and you strike me as a man that may know.” Thomas asked when the room eventually emptied of its patrons.
  The chatty little mans face positively beamed when he heard this and he immediately disappeared behind the serving area.

  A few minutes later, he reappeared with a bottle and two mugs seating himself opposite his new friend.

  They both lazed in front of the log fire that had burned low in the inns overly large fireplace. He poured two large measures into the mugs handing one to his companion and raising his own in salute.

  ” To happy times” he toasted as he drained his mug in one. Thomas smiled and did likewise. The huge weapons master coughed violently.

  His throat was on fire and he went blue in the face. A glowing feeling wormed its way down his throat like a warm slug seeking to rest in the pit of his stomach.

  “What the hell have you just poisoned me with Ned that feels like the fires of hell man, you should have warned me.”

  “Have you never tasted whiskey before then?” Thomas nodded his head clearly; he had not, much to Ned’s delight.

  “Lets have a few more it helps to relax. Chatting is much more fun after a few capfuls of the Devils Tea its an acquired taste you know”

  With that, they saluted to anything and everything till both men exhausted all the topics deserving to be toasted.

  Eventually Thomas told his tipsy talkative friend about what had happened back in the forest not four leagues from the town.

  Though obviously very drunk he was careful to leave out the bit concerning Sam for now.

  Ned was engrossed by the tale consoling Thomas for the loss of the horses, as any man in Halfway would.

  When it came to the rest, he was dumbstruck. Finally, after a long pause he said.

  “Very few of us really know what’s out there my friend for only a few ever have the need to follow that path. Most are happy enough do their business locally and those that travel the track to Newhaven do not normally have much to report to the elders except for the occasional pack of wolves or tracks from big cats. I have never heard tell of those creatures you talk about and as for the one that murdered them that is enough to turn a mans hair white!” he said before realizing something.

  “Thomas what was the colour of your hair before you left Newhaven?”

  Thomas looks into the other mans eyes and then replied ”Black”

  A silence returned as both men finished their whiskey. The weapons master thought on what he had just heard.

  When he finally gathered his elusive thoughts, a surprised look registered on his face.
When he saw his mug refilled and waiting he said,” Your good Ned I’ll give you that”. A slight slurring brought a fit of laughter to the empty common room.

  The two friends chatted about absolutely everything two drunks could think to chat about which was considerable. The hours crept by long into the small hours of the morning.

  At last, Thomas puts a shaky hand up and admitted defeat.” I am off to my bed before I pass out Ned! Amy wont be happy with you in the morning. Look at the mess you got me into” he said rising as if to leave. He stumbled grabbing the smaller mans shoulder and flopped back to rest on his back on the table behind them.

  He regained what was left of his dignity and got back with difficulty to a sitting position and with a grunt gained his feet.

  “Good night sir I think I will leave and die upstairs if you don’t mind,” he slurred offering his hand to the little innkeeper he continued,” Glad to have made your acquaintance”

  Ned gripped the bigger mans huge hand and replied,” The pleasure is all mine friend, sleep well”

  “I’m really glad little Sam made it through all that, he’s one lucky kid Thomas”

  Thomas already at the door to the common room stopped and replied.” If you only knew how lucky” then noisily he disappeared.

  Ned sat back in his chair. His head already befuddled by the effects of the very potent whiskey he thinks on all that was said that night.

  At last he mumbles out loud enough to be heard only to himself.” I can’t help you but I think I know a man who can”.

  With that, he struggled out of his chair and with a wobble dampened down the fire. After making repeated attempts to blow out the candles with his fiery breath, he made his way in total darkness to his bed. He had managed this feat in worse states than the one he was in now.



  A Visitor.

  The whole inn became a hive of excitement when Ned Farrelly announced the expected arrival of a Magician early the next day.

  Surprisingly enough Thomas Little was nowhere to be seen and instead Sam was in the capable hands of his best new friend Fluffy.

  On rare occasions, travelling entertainers made the trip from Newhaven to perform for the local community in several of the inns scattered about Halfway.

  The town already boasted many fine musicians but magic was another thing altogether.  Humankind not being indigenous to Eirith had little contact with true magic; the sleights of hand card tricks and mind games were all they were accustomed to.

  It was enough for within the hour, news had spread far an excited air filled the inn.

  A fair sized crowd was expected for the show. Ned had been seen going about his business today repeatedly rubbing his hands together smiling to himself lost in his own little world where innkeepers made lots of coin.

  Thomas awoke finally to the worst headache he had ever experienced. He opened his watering eyes and was greeted by a blinding light coming from the window, which was for some reason or other propped open. Bright morning sunshine sent its hot rays into his eyes making his hangover even more unbearable. That was a mean trick he said to himself.

  He knew Amy had done this as punishment for last nights over indulgence. He rose gingerly whilst muttering to himself the life of a married man who would have it.

  He submersed his pounding head into a large basin of cold water that had been left at the ready should the need arise. It was obviously left there for his benefit.

  The freezing cold water brought his senses back quickly enough for him to let out an enormous sigh of relief as the cold water numbed his throbbing head.

  Afterwards he reminded himself to thank Amy for the ice water. His little wife did not appear so heartless now as his tortured body gratefully welcomed this unexpected reprieve.

  Thomas dressed himself slowly and headed downstairs to the common room. It was already teeming with life as industrious servants jostled one another in their eagerness to make sure that nothing was overlooked in preparation for tonight’s entertainment.

  This was all lost on the big man. His senses were so dulled this morning that the best he could manage to do physically was to flop into the nearest most comfortable chair. With a sigh of relief he let his head fall between his hands in an effort to quell the queasiness that refused to leave him be.

  “Well well well look who has finally decided to join the land of the living. What time do you call this Thomas Little? Most decent folk left their beds hours ago and you never told me that you had a sickness,” Amy said in a loud voice from her frowning position not two feet from him.

  ” Drinking whiskey big man is not for boys, but you look like you have learned your lesson I don’t doubt. Drink this straight down. Now!” she said in a stern voice the type that angry but concerned mothers used.

  Thomas looked up. Tears of self-pity hailed the return of his pounding headache as they filled his bloodshot eyes. His face also had a deathly pallor to it.

  Amy softened her attack immediately taking pity on his obvious discomfort and said in a much gentler tone of voice “Here you great big lummox get this down your throat”
  He looked at the mug in her hand and dutifully asked” What is that then? Poison to finish me off with! You cruel woman”

  “Would I do that to the finest husband in the world? Come now drink it straight back or it won’t do you no good,” she said passing the mug to her awaiting victim.

  Without waiting to think, his throat as dry as an old sock, he took the mug eagerly while he still could and downed the contents in one long gulp and gagged.

  ” Ned calls it the hair of the dog, says it’s the best cure but only one mind, can’t have you rolling around and singing like a fool, there’s much to be done and Ned could use some help.”

  Content with saying her piece and getting the final word in she turned about and disappeared in the direction of the kitchens.

  Thomas sat back. He had nearly lost the contents of his stomach after downing the drink until the familiar warm worming feeling calmed his belly and was slowly working its wicked magic on the relentless pounding in his head.

  He felt a lot better for the second time that morning. He wondered if Ned deserved a hug more than Amy did for the kindness shown to him in his time of need. Upon reflection, he decided they both had saved his miserable life this morning.  He gets up after that saying to himself in the process Stick to the ale Little, whiskeys for the insane .He then made his way awkwardly towards the inns front door.

  The cool breeze was welcoming and he stood for a moment facing the sun with closed eyes. Soaking up the sun’s rays was easier now than it had been upon awakening earlier that morning. It was the first pleasant feeling he has had that day and he was determined to enjoy it.

  “Thomas Little isn’t it?” a deep booming voice greeted him. He slowly opened his eyes. Standing in front of him was a bull of a man with shoulders the width of two normal men and arms like gnarled tree trunks hanging by his side.

  Thomas recognized the man from their meeting on the first day of his arrival to Halfway. He was a little taken by surprise and as he was not feeling his best, he was unsure of what to say.

  “Good morning to you sir. I am afraid you meet me at my worst. Had my first belly full of whiskey last night and I’m still the worse for it.”

  The big man laughed out loud a deep genuine laugh as he slapped Thomas on the back hard enough to knock any other man to the ground.

  ”Ah Ned and his whiskey a worse pair you will never meet.” Had you up late into the night talking did he? That mans been my downfall many times but a finer man Halfway just doesn’t have.” He said with genuine affection evident by his tone.

  “We haven’t been properly introduced, my friends call me Bull but my given name is Willam Hicks”

  Thomas smiled with the announcement. “I had a friend called Willam once but that’s a story for in front of a roaring fire. Good man though, hard to meet a finer. Pleased to meet you Bull.”

  With that, Sam came into view perched on the back of the inns mastiff .He teetered alarmingly on the beast; obvious delight framed the boy’s little serious face.

  ” Look at me I told you I was going to ride Fluffy he’s my horse” the little boy shouted out. The dog had a sort of miserable look to him but as always it was eager to please his little master so for now he played along hoping the child would grow bored soon enough.

  The Bull smiled admiringly at the boy then turned to Thomas and said” My he’s grown somewhat in one week hasn’t he?”

  Thomas just smiled as the big man pats him a little gentler then before on his shoulder and took his leave.

  Little hoisted Sam from the relieved dog. He gave his son a big hug and kissed him lovingly on the forehead.

  ” Lets go look for some real horses Sam you can ride on my shoulders. What do you say?”

  The boys face lit up and with a delighted squeal he climbed up on the big mans shoulders. With that, the pair sauntered up the street to see what Halfway’s horse dealers had to offer.

  They asked about the town for directions to the nearest honest horse dealer. Many offered directions adding,” There isn’t such a thing as an honest horse dealer mister” as they walked away laughing to themselves.

  Halfway was a busy little town. Shops lined the streets each one-displayed different goods. Their owner’s called from several doorways promising unbelievable bargains to prospective shoppers.    Thomas takes the time to look at a few of the more interesting items on view often engaging in small talk with some of the more friendly merchants.

  He then continued his journey to the far end of the town as directed by the majority of the helpful townsfolk.

  Gradually the buildings thinned out leading to the less well-kept structures that made up the poorer section of the town. Stockyards lined the streets providing the raw materials for butchers, bakers and tanners who in turn provided most of the items an isolated town needed on a daily basis to survive.

  Potters stacked their wares on to wagons as weavers did likewise from the other side of the street. The atmosphere here was one of industry as busy people rushed about like worker bees.  Halfway was definitely a town with a bright future ahead of it.

  Passing through alleyways that were overshadowed by some of the tallest buildings he had yet seen in the town Thomas came at last to the yard of one of Halfway horse traders.

  He entered with little Sam still perched high on his shoulders. Thomas casually surveyed his surroundings as he walked through the front gates of the hostelry.

  “A man can usually tell the quality of horses that will be on show by the way the owner keeps his yard Sam”.

  Thomas was well pleased for this yard seemed well managed and spotlessly clean. The timber of the stock pens was of good quality and they were even painted indicating to the prospective buyer that somebody here cared enough about their livestock to keep everything in excellent condition.

  Troughs held plenty of fresh drinking water and fodder was made readily available to all the penned up animals. Grooms tended individual horses tied by their halters to hitching posts.  They inspected their charges checking them over in a manner that spoke volumes for the love they had for their animals and their work.

  Stable boys ferried wheelbarrows full of fresh pungent manure to deposit it on the steaming mound set well to the rear of the yard.

  Yes, a horse bought here would cost a little bit more than usual but this did not deter Thomas he liked to do his business in a place like this.

  The horse dealer himself approached the two newcomers bidding them a good day as he asked the big man how he could be of service to them both.

  He was clean-shaven and smartly dressed but he had a sharp gleam in his eye, which hinted to perceptive weapons master as to where his true talents lay.

  Thomas made a little small talk with the man in which he included the circumstances leading to the loss of his own horses during their journey from up north.

  The dealer who had by now introduced himself as Mac Shane genuinely consoled the other man saying” I hate to see a man lose a good horse mister but I’m pretty sure you will find the next best thing here at a fair price” .To emphasize his point he swept his arm about his establishment with obvious pride.

  “Well let’s get down to business then shall we?” Thomas replied, making a mental note to keep his first impressions of Mac Shane in reserve. He also reminded himself that this was a man who knew his business. Thomas by now became a little worried that he was indeed going to leave this fine stable yard a much poorer man.

  They spent the best part of the morning looking at a fine selection of animals all of which appeared to be in prime condition. Some specimens were even large enough to suit the big man. Each animal examined displayed excellent individual qualities. The prices were high but Thomas was not put out too much by them.

  As both men were examining a fine steel dust stallion of seventeen hands Sam, who by now had grown bored decided to sneak away and take a look around for himself.

  All the animals Mac Shane put on show eyed the boy as if he was about to bite them. Some were more aggravated than others. Mac Shane paid little attention to this odd behaviour putting it down to his animals being grain fed and high-spirited .He even remarked on several skittish occasions that the animals were eager to run free after being cooped up for so long.

  Thomas Little just smiled for he knew differently he enjoyed seeing the other mans discomfort surface after an otherwise perfect performance.

  Ten minutes passed and Thomas still did not notice the boy’s absence. By now, the two men had started to haggle in earnest so much so that if the horse standing between them suddenly grew two heads neither man would have noticed.

  The manic whinnying of a horse slowly caught Thomas’s attention. This finally broke the spell cast by the haggling men. A commotion erupted from beyond the barn to Littles left.

  Grooms rushed in the direction of the confusion as men began shouting at the top of their voices.

Thomas remembered Sam and looked about while shouting his name above the turmoil.

  The boy was nowhere to be seen and with that, Thomas grew suspicious. A little voice in his head whispered, the boy is involved in this.

  He and Mac Shane ran in the direction of the commotion.

  By now, a large crowd had gathered about a small paddock behind the barn. Thomas could see over the heads of most of those present with ease.

  To his horror, little Sam was standing with his back to a wall of stone at the far end of the paddock.

  Men were shouting at the child to stand absolutely still and not to move from where he was.

  Grooms with ropes cautiously encircled an animal that made Thomas’s mouth open like a drawbridge. Standing in front of the little boy pawing the dirt menacingly sending clouds of dust in to the sky on either side of it was the largest stallion Thomas had ever seen.” My god that animal must be nineteen hands high.”

  “More like twenty and with the temper of a demon to match. That horse is a killer mister should have put an end to him long ago.”

  Thomas had already departed MacShanes company at a dead run knocking startled bystanders aside like skittles.

  He vaulted the rails of the paddock with one manic scramble and made for the beast. The first rope thrown by a groom landed about the giant horses neck. Pandemonium broke out as the enraged horse threw himself about the clearing hooves kicked out in an effort to crush bones.

  More ropes encircled the beast as it screamed madly. Hot froth sprayed from the horse’s mouth soaking everyone involved in the rescue attempt.

  Seven handlers strained on their ropes trying to bring the animal under their control. Sam stood dangerously close to the thrashing iron-shod hooves. The little boy appeared calm while others panicked about him. He even had a big smile on his little face.

  Thomas was frantic at this stage. His only concern was for the safety of the boy but somewhere mixed up in this confusion was a feeling that could only be described as sheer awe.

  This truly was a magnificent beast. All of a sudden, the animal twisted violently and with a maddening lurch of its enormous shoulders, the beast sent its handlers sprawling in several directions. They tumbled in to comrade’s paths making the situation even more perilous if that was possible.

  The horse was now free of its restraints and it immediately turned to face Sam Little. It reared up on its hind legs pawing the air before it. A chilling scream kicked Thomas into action.

  Just as the horse made ready to charge the helpless child Thomas grabbed a handful of groom less ropes that trailed from the neck of the brute.  The discarded ropes twisted on the ground like angry emaciated snakes.

  He gathered a handful in his huge hands and wrenched them backwards in a monumental display of superhuman strength.

  Just as the crazed horse crashed down on the boy Thomas hauled the animal with brute force backwards to land on its haunches.

  Little screamed in frustration as the beast righted itself quickly. Tugging hard on the ropes with every ounce of strength that he possessed the stallion was again dragged off balance.

  One of his forelegs shot out before it and came crashing down to catch little Sam full on the head. The defenceless boy crumpled to the ground like a discarded rag doll as the crowd went fearfully silent. Thomas yanked the rope desperately as the tragedy continued to unfold in slow motion before him.

  The stallion stumbled yet again and this time it went sprawling to the ground. The weapons master pounced on the beast. With a massive clenched fist, he drove a blow with hammer like force into the beast’s skull knocking it senseless.

  The remaining grooms regained possession of the motionless ropes and brought the stunned horse finally under their control.

  The huge animal managed to kick out trying its best to bite any body within its reach as it lurched disorientated to its feet.

  Thomas ran to the crumpled body of the boy tears streamed down the big mans dusty face as he wept uncontrollably. Sam lay in a little heap unmoving as his father gathered him close to him.

  The crowd pushed forward slowly all present were deeply concerned for not a word was uttered.

  Behind them, the vicious horse still fought for its freedom as the effects of the blow had all but worn off.

  Mac Shane was speechless as he placed a hand on Thomas’s shoulder.

  “ I do not know what to say sir I am stuck for words. I will see the animal destroyed at once.” He turned to leave.

  A little voice was just audible over the startled mutterings of the crowd.

  ” Don’t kill Hellfire mister he wants to be my friend, he told me,” Sam said raising his head to peer around Thomas Littles shoulder.

  Mac Shane turned about slowly in response. He had a look that was indescribable on his astonished face. Sam Little struggled free of his grieving fathers grip to run up to where the horse dealer stood in shock.

  The dumbstruck man not normally stuck for words just stared at the apparition standing in the flesh before him.

  Sam Little smiled at him. He had the brightest blue eyes Mac Shane could ever remember seeing before. The child stood there without a mark or a scratch to be seen on or about his little head.  “That blow should have decapitated the boy,” Mac Shane said unwittingly out loud. Everybody continued to stare with varying startled expressions adorning their faces. Not a sound was uttered by anyone but the horse.

Sam ran towards the beast and the crowd gave way to let this little miracle part them like an ocean.

  The horse was still straining at the ropes. It had its eyes fixed firmly on the head groom who by now was loading a heavy iron bolt into a lethal looking crossbow.

  Sam casually walked up to the heavily lathered animal .By now its head had fallen low to the ground; it had finally reached the point of exhaustion.

  Hellfire’s laboured breath sent spouts of dust exploding from the dirt below him. Sam held out a hand and lovingly placed it on the creatures forehead as he said.” Hello Hellfire I want to be your friend” with an innocence that captivated the hearts and minds of the onlookers.

  The large crowd had clearly not recovered their senses yet. Thomas Little had and he stood beside the boy protectively as the huge horses head came about.

  Hellfire shuddered for a moment and then he nickered as horses did ever so softly. Another bond formed.

  A feeling of pure joy swamped Thomas Little as he smothered the little boy with hugs and kisses.  He said out loud for all present to hear “Thomas Little you are without doubt the luckiest man alive”

  With that he turned eagerly to Mac Shane and asked.” How much for the horse Mac Shane?”

  Mac Shane was speechless and for the first time in his life money was the farthest thing from his mind.” Take him he’s yours you have him with my blessing you’ll need it.” he managed to say.

  Thomas Little being a fair man like his father before him then said.” How much would I pay for a dead horse this size man?”

  Mac Shane stared incredulously in return for this stranger seemed to be full of surprises.  Appreciating the gesture Thomas made in light of the near disaster. A look of admiration sprang to his face. The big man before him today would make many friends in his lifetime and Mac Shane secretly hoped he would be counted as one of them.

  “A gold piece I suppose though if he wasn’t so wicked he would fetch one hundred”

  Thomas little replied “I’ll give you ten when you meet me in the Honey Pot tonight.”

  Thomas hoisted Sam onto his shoulders and proudly started the trek back to the inn.    Fortunately, this had turned out to be a day to remember especially by those who still stood motionless behind him with fly catching mouths agape still catching flies. He made his way home.

  Amy greeted the two from the front of the inn where she had been sunning herself on the large wooden bench meant for the use of the inns patrons. Sam immediately squealed out” Mother we got a horse”

  Amy smiled lovingly at the boy as Thomas wondered to himself how he was he going to explain to her what had nearly happened to her little boy.

  He decided to wait for a more suitable opportunity to present itself. Being new to Halfway, he was also new to the fact that news travelled faster here than a brushfire. The moment for explanations would be thrust upon him much sooner than he would have wished for.

  The big moment had at last arrived. To greet it with obvious excitement a packed house at the Honey Pot that night made for standing room only.

  Being guests Thomas, Amy and Sam had been given the best seats in the house right in front of the makeshift stage that had been erected for the benefit of this much anticipated performance.

  Sam was enthralled by the occasion itself. The murmuring in the room was at level that made everyone’s adrenaline flow. The euphoria even affected those that did not know what a Magician was.

  Master Farrelly rubbed his hands together at the side of the makeshift stage. The excited crowd had all his serving girls running about the place in a frenzy carrying overburdened trays of ale to thirsty patrons.

  The lights in the room had been extinguished except for those on and next to the stage.  Excitement held everyone in its tight grip. The moment had indeed arrived.

  People stared excitedly at the empty space memorized though all it seemed were ready.  Excited murmurs broke free as patrons speculated as to what would happen next.

  All of a sudden, from out of nowhere a blinding flash of light accompanied by a billowing cloud of smoke sent the crowd gasping as the occasional “Wows and aaahs” gained the upper hand from a delighted gathering of spectators. A figure appeared.

  Everybody stared in collective awe. Smoke hung in the air lending to the wondrous appearance of the stranger. A glow from surrounding candles aided this ghostly apparition. Halfway was suitably impressed.


  Say hello to the Gremlin

  The two dwarfs descended the darkest tunnel they had ever set foot in.

  “Erruel this is pleasant isn’t it.”Oriin said breaking the silence that only the continuous howling of the wind seemed to command.

  ” It’s not like I’m frightened or any such thing, I just think that we’ve seen enough already”

  “We aint seen no treasure either and that is what counts, keep moving our lucks about to change I can feel it.” This was all Erruel had said since they had demolished the gate a long way behind them now.

  The tunnel sucked at their torchlight as they stopped to light another one.

  The passageway was narrow here and the damp walls in places almost seemed to be making an effort to close about them. The only sign of life was provided by a reddish slime that trickled to the ground to form pools of blood like gore. It brought the fear of the gods closer to the explorers with every step they took.

  Every so often, they heard a loud scurrying sound from somewhere beyond the range of their single torch.

  A wind slowly arose its sound a hushed and sibilant voice whispered in their ears as they rounded a turn in the tunnel.

  Erruel stopped dead in his tracks in response to the spectral breeze as Oriin lets out a blood-chilling scream, something brushed by his head.

  ” What is wrong with you”Erruel shouted turning to face the neurotic dwarf.

  “Something just brushed by my head I swear it”Oriin said dropping to a whisper.

  ” What are you on about, you’re scaring the daylights out of me!”

  “Sorry Erruel just that I got a fright I wont do it again” he does not look very convincing.

  “Lets rest here for a bit and have lunch, then if we don’t get to see nothing a bit further on I promise we will turn back and fix up the door”Erruel promised.

  “Ok Oriin?”he asked.

  ” Sounds fair I suppose, my belly’s been rumbling so bad it must think I’ve forgotten it by now it’s been that long!”

  “Yeah you’re fading to nothing before my eyes you poor thing”Erruel replied as Oriin reached inside his backpack to fetch their lunch.

  “Soon you’re going to be just fat! Imagine that”

  “Who are you calling fat you tub of lard. Ill have you know that some of the girls are concerned that I’m fading away to nothing”

  “Yeah I suppose that’s all the fat ones,” the taller dwarf answered back quickly suppressing a smile that threatened to engulf him.

  ”Did you just bring me a long to make fun then? Are you going to lay off the big jokes “Oriin said with down turned eyes.

  “Ok just fooling I guess all those pies have made us both fat after all. I ate my fair share too.”Erruel responded disarming the situation a little.

  Oriin looks at him for a few moments Erruel then thought better than to continue down the fat road.

  “Here get this down your piehole.”Oriin handed his friend a share of their meagre lunch.

  “Bread and bloody cheese it’s always bread and bloody cheese. Those days will be over when we find what we’re looking for down here”

  “I hope so.”Oriin replied as he eagerly stuffed his face.

  Just then they heard the sound of approaching footfalls coming from somewhere in the distance behind them. Both dwarfs stop in mid chew and stared at one another.

  “What do you think that might be then?”Oriin said out loud.

  “I don’t know and I don’t mean to find out, follow me and be quick.”

  They grabbed their belongings and struggled to their feet lunches were hastily shoved into pockets as they both ran down the subway on the lookout for somewhere to hide.

  Soon they came to an area that had partially caved in. Large boulders a lot larger than themselves were strewn about the passageway.  Settling on a couple that offered the best chance of concealment they artfully hid and waited.

  The approaching foot falls got louder as the distance between the two parties lessened. A ghostly light cast an unearthly glow about the rock-strewn floor to illuminate all within its radiance. Erruel quickly extinguished his torch.

  They had reached a point in the tunnel that found them several paces short from the opening to a large cavern.

  Both dwarfs looked about from their place of hiding to see as much as they could before what ever it was arrived.

  Just below them they could see a dozen large stalactites and stalagmites guard the cavern entrance. It was an awesome sight an unsettling one too. The entrance to the cavern looked like a monsters fearsome tooth filled maw.

  The flickering glow not enough to blind them cast shadows in all directions and the dwarfs soon became terrified.

  “Let’s make a run for it”Oriin whispered in a shaky voice.

  “Be quiet we are safe enough here, just do not move and keep your mouth shut will you?” came the answer.

  The glow reached its zenith as three- dozen ghostly shapes rounded the turn and approached the dwarfs hiding place. Both were transfixed.    There were shadows dancing all about. They seemed to jump out from their own hiding places.  The two dwarfs looked wildly about. The sound of marching booted feet could be heard echoing all about them.

  The ghostly shapes were close enough to see now.” Will you look at that they have got no shadows.”

  Erruel elbowed Oriin in the gut the smaller dwarf grunted silently.

  Thirty-six ghostly pale dwarfs marched in unison in double file. Some carried torches the source of the ghostly glow.

  ”Look at their eyes”Erruel whispered.

  The eyes of the marching dwarves were sightless glowing orbs in the eerie light. Faces without smiles on men without lives they continued on their journey oblivious to the presence of the onlookers.

  “You don’t think”Oriin started to say. Erruel did not reply. His own eyes followed the group closely as it made its way towards the cavern entrance.

  “Lets go, stick close. I want to see where they are going to.”

  “You must be joking .I am going that way” Oriin said pointing back the way they had come in.

  Erruel gathered his things and climbed out from their hiding place. Quickly and silently, he started to pursue the dwarf dead as they continued their ethereal march.

  Oriin cursed himself and followed like the faithful hound he was.

  The two dwarfs entered the cavern carefully. It was still bright enough to see thanks to the wraithlike torches marching on ahead.

  The cavern was so large that its ceiling disappeared into the blackness above where they stood. It seemed circular approximately one hundred paces from wall to wall.

  The vaporous horde came to a halt around what appeared to be a small hole in the floor of the cave. Each dwarf took its place and sat forming a large circle about the opening.

  They just waited and stared with arms folded and did absolutely nothing.

Long minutes passed and still the dwarf spectres sat seeming content simply to do this.

  The leader eventually stood upright and approached the hole carrying something that appeared to be a sack. With words clearly audible to the ears of the startled pair, he said in a loud haunted voice”Sshaska e var here you will remain for all time, we will be waiting.” As he finished his little speech, he dropped the sack into the opening in the ground before him.

  He grew silent as the rest of his band got to their feet and stood to attention. The leader quietly turned around and marched towards the far wall.

  From where Oriin and Erruel now hid, they could just barely make out a small fissure that scarred the rock face in front of the leader.

  The dwarf commander shimmered briefly losing form till nothing more than a trail of smoke remained in his place. Then along with the others he slowly disappeared into the crack in the rock face dragging the unearthly glow closely behind.

  Erruel and Oriin were left in complete darkness. Both were shocked by what they had just witnessed.

  ” What now?”Oriin asked his friend.

  “This” replied Erruel as he struck flint against steel relighting his torch. The sudden light cast by the brightly burning brand momentarily blinded the pair.

  ”Thanks for the warning.”Oriin called out.

  “It will pass, be quiet, I bet I know what is in that sack”

  “Don’t tell me, let me guess mmmm. I have it! A Horse. Am I right”Oriin was pleased with his clever remark.

  “A horse? Sometimes you fool you can almost be as funny as your ears, I reckon its gold, why else would you hide something all the way down here. Just think on that!”

  Oriin had a very uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach. He does not share his friend’s enthusiasm. In fact, he had just about his fill by now.

  “I think Erruel this maybe one of those times that you wished you had made the other choice instead of the bad one. Something tells me we can go back now just plain tired and hungry albeit a little disappointed, or we carry on and say yes Oriin you were right when it’s too late. For one those dwarfs just disappeared into a crack in the wall all three- dozen, now I call that the first sensible warning sign. Then there’s what’s in the hole, that is what’s going to do it isn’t it? I just have a very bad feeling about all this!”

  “Half each brothers to the end”, lets take a peek”Erruel hadn’t listened to a word Oriin had said. Oriin felt like pulling his hair out.

  Two yellow eyes opened in the pitch dark at the bottom of the hole. They closed then opened for longer the second time. Unseen in the dark, a huge smile invaded the face for the first time in lifetimes.

  He has had nothing to smile about. Sitting waiting in the dark playing the same silly game with the spirits of the long dead dwarfs something had finally happened.
  “What is in the sack? Curiosity gets the better of us all” he said to himself.

  “It kills more than just cats my friends!” he whispered.

  “I know you are up there my little ones .I can smell you. Your thoughts reach out to me. Well Erruel, I think you really should look in the sack. Just a little look mind you. Your time has come.”    The gremlin closed his luminescent eyes and pictured the two life forms standing agonizingly within his grasp above where he sat and waited. He reached out to Erruel and told him what it is he must do.

  “You’re going where?”

  “Into the hole to get that sack!”Erruel replied.

  The awaiting entity opened its glowing eyes once more as a smile unseen to all appeared again on its face. It whispered softly in to the blackness.

  ”Say hello to the Gremlin boys”




   
© Copyright 2007 Shauul (UN: ipcompto at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shauul has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/501816-Thomas-Little-takes-a-bath