*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/501819-Look-in-to-my-eyes
by Shauul
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1247300
Dragons,heroes,quests and more.Insane characters. The dark one wreaks havoc.
#501819 added April 15, 2007 at 8:43am
Restrictions: None
Look in to my eyes.
Look into my eyes.

  “Look in to my eyes” The newcomer commanded. A ghostly silence transcended the awaiting crowd, as each held their breath for fear of ruining the moment.
  ”Look deep in to my eyes” the magician, repeated with more authority this time adding mystical weight to his words.
  “For time is fast approaching. Shauul resumes his hunt. Evil is upon us this very eve. The germ awakens from its slumber and nations will fall for it seeks to restore the balance in its favour.  Kings will rise to thwart the beast but it consumes with a new hunger the like of which will ravish your families while they slumber in their very beds, Foul breath of demon caresses your loved ones. Tonight they seek to kill your brothers, father’s and mother’s. Who shall stand and fight, for evil devours in the presence of your ignorance. Small minds I see before me tonight seeking entertainment by my foolery “he raised a finger and a blinding light exploded about him. Ghostly images circled about him, pictures of death and pestilence rested about his cloaked shoulders.
  Great beasts flew about his crooked chimney like hat. White waist length hair swirled like twisted serpents about a long pointed beard. Piercing black eyes fastened on Sam Little. The boy was glued to the spot a look of beautification rested upon his face.
  “Who amongst us has the power to defend us? I say un to thee that demons bane has come at last. Our greatest hour of need has been thrust upon us. Like thieves with the dawn, we must flee. For tonight my friends many of you will die”
  His last words hung in the air. His two wiry arms were still raised for dramatic effect.
  He surveyed the crowd cowed in shock before him. Everybody including Ned Farelly was speechless. The look of pure mystification left even would be hecklers silent.
  No one could believe what he or she had just heard. One or two individuals offered a weak applause. Then slowly one by one the relieved crowd joined in and within moments, there was a mighty cheer for that wonderful performance. Ned smiled with pained relief. The tall magician just glowered in return.

  Watch duty had fallen to the two guards that had previously questioned Thomas and Amy Little upon their arrival in Halfway.
  Earl was the outspoken one bearded and angry but a dedicated soldier to the cause nonetheless.  His fellow guard and long time friend was Edward Freemen another rangy unshaven brute but a fair man in a fight, which very often in a frontier town counted for a lot. As always, the two dogs that rarely left their posts no matter who was on duty accompanied them.
  “Give me some tobacco I left mine behind me again” demanded Earl. The need for politeness was not a requirement in some relationships this was one of those.
  “I aint got none, how many times you wanna hear that tonight”Ed snapped.
  ”What the hells got into you?”
  “Nothing really, just a little on edge that’s all, just been thinking about the boy. I saw Mac Shane’s horse dance on his head and the kid got up as if nothing had happened. I can’t get it out of my head Earl there’s something weird about that family. I cant put my finger on it.”Ed Freemen was a man known to speak his mind.
  “That horse is a killer you’ve seen him yourself and the kid just put his hand out and that was that. Remember the dogs they still aint the bloody same Earl. Nobody can touch them.”
  “I would sure like to have been there it’s all over town. Some folk are saying the kids possessed. I’m saying nothing don’t want to get on the wrong side of his father.”
  “I wonder just how good he is. I’d say best not find out even if he’s getting on a bit, don’t look like an old man to me though!”
  “I hear the Bull made him a friend, so that’s good enough for me. If the Bull is now his friend that just says it all don’t it?”
  “Yeah keep your enemies close that’s the way”
  “Earl can I ask you two questions and I want you to be honest with me”
  “Sure”
  “Ok, here comes the first one, Why is it so quiet tonight?”
  “And Earl, where are the dogs?”
  Earl freezes he had been so caught up in talk that he had not noticed either. At this time of night the frogs and crickets should be hard at it and as for the dogs they have never strayed away before.
  The two men look at each other.
  “Lets move back over the bridge I don’t like this something aint right” said Earl.
  The night was as dead as dead can be, not a living sound could be heard apart from the creaking of the guard’s leathers and the groans emanating from the constantly expanding and contracting timbers of the bridge.
  A soft crooning filled the thoughts and minds of the two guards. They became unwilling statues as sounds returned to the night of the living, which they will claim no further part of.

  From out of the darkness, the R’aaeghoul approached. One of the remaining dogs or what was left of it hung from its claws as it dragged the fresh carcass along the dirt.
  Entrails twisted and turned like an eel until the huge foot of a rock troll thread upon it pulling it clear with a gooey twang from the dog’s gutless insides.
  The creature continued to sing its sweet song holding the guards in its spell. The heavy chain that encircled its neck hung loosely in its master’s grip.
  The trolls it seemed are learning stealth and guile. It had never been their way. A troll had killed a land bound dragon many years before, using the R’aaeghoul to sneak up on it.
  This had been one of the main reasons Errugel had battered him so relentlessly while it perished in the flames that night so many winters ago.  Pure jealousy had swamped the would be king. A nation was moving towards a new dawn, he would be the one to lead the way, and that was final.
  Ten feet of terror loomed above the entranced watchmen as the R’aaeghoul drew in a deep lungful of human scent.
  Red eyes widened with the prospect of new flesh. Pitiful they stood before it. Claws reached forward to touch soft skin it hungered.
  The dogs meant nothing to the beast. Dog flesh was dog flesh it had killed and eaten many. Dog meat had never satisfied its craving for blood.
  Here stood two new victims of a sort never encountered by the beast. Their rich salty scent awakened something dark from within.
  He reached again tenderly this time. Visibly trembling trolls looked on in delighted interest for murder of any sort got their blood flowing.
  He took Earl and Ed’s head in either claw and with a sickening dull thud grinded them together.  Blood and brains spurted out from between its talons as skulls disintegrated with ease. The heady salty scent sent the beast into a feeding fury.
  Huge fangs closed about the remainder of what had been human heads. It ripped hungrily into the bloody stumpy gore. Human blood infused it with indescribable power and feeling and for the first time in it’s life, the R’aaeghoul felt alive. Tonight it had found prey worthy of its attentions.

  A twelve-foot troll wrenched the chain violently and the R’aaeghoul was dragged from its victims.  Slowly it turned to face its tormentor with murder in its eyes, teeth bared to a snarl. The huge troll lifted a leather bound whip from its side and furiously beat the disobedient creature. Tonight the R’eaaghoul did not feel the pain for this particular troll would be next.

  The two bodies of the guards were dragged silently away. Orders were clear all food must be collected, preferably alive and returned to Baalanthull for all to share. The preference was for live plunder but the city of bones was not particularly fussy.
  Five hundred troll bulls lined up in the darkness. Impatience led them to jostling one another and stomping their feet. Heavy clubs held at the ready they varied enormously in size and appearance.
  The smell of troll droppings filled the night air acrid fumes concerned no one. A nervous excitement had all on the verge of charging about even before the order was given.
  The largest of the trolls were the pack leaders. Each was in charge of twenty bulls a manageable number so long as discipline was ruthlessly maintained.
  Errugel had finally found a new source of food an easy prey and by the look of the impressive little town, they would also make fine slaves.  With their talents, the troll nation would at long last advance more than it had ever dreamed possible. Yes here lay their future. Their new dawn.
  All the young were to be taken alive with no exceptions. If any were killed the abuser was to be returned to face Errugel and none wanted that having already witnessed the punishment that awaited before they had left on this raid.

  Errugel had assembled the five hundred warriors before him on the day before departure. Strict instructions as to what was to be achieved were screamed in their faces.
  Errugel selected the biggest troll leader calling him from the ranks to stand before him. The king told the enormous Bull to select a victim from its own company, as a demonstration for failure was needed.
  The troll stared incredulously into the Kings eyes but only briefly, knowing better, to stare was to challenge and that was just pure insanity.  Errugel’s dominance was so complete it terrified the visibly shaking troll captain as it turned to face it’s own company.
  Every troll within went to pieces as each twisted about to see whom he would select. Terror showed clearly in their eyes.
  The rest of the trolls faced head down unmoving for they had seen such displays as this on every other day. The result was iron clad and total discipline. This was how the city of bones got its name.
  From behind the throne of Errugel, a mountain of bones stood raised for all to see. The very first troll had been Errugels victim on that night seventy winters ago but his bones were lost now among the many that followed since. This night a new victim would take its place to fester among the murdered.
  This was the source of Errugels powers. He fed on terror and the flesh of his own people their constant fear made him strong. The feeling increased every time he killed a subject.
  The more terrifying the death the better the infusion of power he licked his lips in anticipation.
  The captain at length selected a victim. To refuse or to hesitate would be catastrophic, for it was a test on him as well.
  He walked up to the pack and resignedly grabbed the nearest bull and dragged him screaming before their king.
  The prostrate bull before him shook and whined pitifully. The whole herd reacted emotionally, but no one moved to his aid as the giant King lifted himself from his throne and menacingly approached, as if he was under a demonic spell.
  He walked up behind the unfortunate troll that by now had its head pressed flat to the ground. This was not because it thought that by doing so things would turn out differently, it did so because it had simply given up.
  Errugel stopped and whispered to his victim “I veutre milantruol trzasthurg mieee! Oueroll novas us azu.”The taste of your fear is ever so sweet to me, make me proud”
  With that, he reached down and grabbed the victim by the throat. From behind, he bent him backwards ever so slowly as he savoured all the pain.
  The troll bull screamed in agony. Its spine tightened and then started to bend back past the point of its natural flexibility.
  Errugel stood on the back of the victims legs to gain leverage, great stump like knees planted in the small of its back, mighty arms gripped the trolls head and neck. The troll victim passed the point of screaming and could not release the sounds its tortured body begged to make.
  It had reached the point of snapping like so many other bones had snapped in its lifetime. Bowels released as blood gushed from its mouth and nose, and still Errugel every so slowly arched the creature backward against its spine just a small bit more. He held it there. The bulls in the herd were silent.
  Slowly the sound of sinew starting to tear was audible. A ripping of tendon and then the snapping of ribs followed as they protruded from the chest of the troll.
  Errugels eyes lit up a deep glowing crimson. The awaiting trolls saw this and went wild. Then the extreme force that held the breaking back at the point of snapping went beyond that point and the troll’s chest cavity exploded outward a chilling sound filled the throne room. Vital organs catapulted to land on the throne itself.
  The dead trolls eyes came to rest on its killers, upside down now but still facing its king. Errugel drew a deep breath as if the life force of his freshly killed subject could be absorbed in such a way. Satisfied by his little show he picked the murdered troll up by the head, ripped a mouthful of flesh from its throat, and drank deeply from the wound.
  He threw it to the floor where he gathered it up again this time by its ankles and with a mighty twist hoisted him to the top of the pile of putrefying bones rotting behind his throne.

  As they stood ready on the border of Halfway every Troll repeated over and over in its mind do not kill the young, do not kill the young.
  The R’aaeghoul much to its protest was bound and chained fast to protect the young for another’s activities.

  The magician waited till the noise died down. An angry look contorted his face. White bushy eyebrows framed a heavy brow, a black flowing coat that reached his toes concealed his body.
  He clicked his fingers causally and a long twisted staff appeared to hand. Again, the crowd applauded, this man promised much the feeling was one of adoring appreciation.

  Suddenly the head of the magician shoots upwards to stare at nothing above their heads. His eyes closed as he delivered his closing speech.
  “It is too late for some of you, chaos approaches, flee for your lives”. He shouted.
  The crowd just sat there as the first agonizing scream was heard from some were outside the inn. The sound of a dog howling in anguish filled the night to be cut off abruptly.
  The Bull who had been quietly standing by the door with Mac Shane was the first to react.  Turning he gripped the handles and yanked the doors open.
  Outside was pure black nothing could be seen. The noise from the street was deafening though people strained to see past the enormous blacksmith. Everybody’s view was obscured by the blackness that consumed the outside. It slowly moved and an enormous grotesque face lowered itself to be framed by the doorway.
  Yellow bloodshot eyes surveyed its find, spittle dripped from cruel fangs as it screamed with a horrible insaneness about it.
  The Bull quickly slammed and barred the doors. Leaping back, he made straight for Ned who was standing panic stricken beside the stage.
  ” Ned back doors now! Get everybody out”
  The magician gathered his cloak and leapt towards the Littles landing in front of where they had been seated. Thomas Little was already on his feet taking charge of his family’s safety. Situations of a military nature left him calm unlike the earlier one with Hellfire had. He was at home in the face of this kind of danger. He still had control.
  “Thomas Little you must follow me now” The magician ordered. Turning around he sprinted towards the back door exit. Thomas taken by surprise grabbed his family and pushed them in pursuit of the mysterious man.
  The Bull grabbed Thomas and shouted” Follow me man, my workshop is beyond Ned’s stables. We need weapons or we are done for.”
  From inside the tavern came the sound of timber being smashed to pieces by very powerful blows.  The crowd was frantic pouring from the inn like rats determined to escape, but to where?
  The stranger ran back to Thomas and shouted up at him” You must follow me grab the boy”.
  Bodies twisted and lifeless were flung from the kitchens of the inn as the beasts finally get to pummel their prey.
  Screams filled the night as agonizingly all within are ripped limb from limb. Some trolls stop to feed on the dying. For an army without supplies this is how they survived.
  A huge beast broke free of the inn to mill about in the yard with those trying to escape. As it approached, the stranger casually turned about while still keeping his eyes locked on Thomas and sent a bolt of hot blue light from his staff into the creature. It imploded and nothing remained.
  Now Thomas Little was suitably impressed as he shouted” Lead the way man we’ll take our chances with you”
  The ancient magician smiled a look that seemed alien to his face as he pointed to the stables in front of them. The Bull still stood beside the four of them a look of fear contorted his face as he urged them forward he shouted” Listen to the man he sure knows how to put on a show!”
  They reached the stable doors. The stranger without slowing pointed his staff whispering one word of power. The barn doors sprang open with such force that the door to their left smashed against the side of the barn to come to rest hanging crookedly on its iron hinges.
  “Quickly” he shouted,” There is little time”
  Inside the stable was shrouded in darkness until the strange man shouted out.” Is muse laruth.”
  Lamps sprang to life revealing all within their glow. A huge shadow framed the doorway behind them.
  Thomas turned around first being the nearest to the monster. It lifted its mighty bludgeon into the air and bellowed foul obscenities. Thomas grabbed a pitchfork sticking out from a pile of hay to his right. He silently thanked the stable boys for this bounty as wrenched it clear.
  The troll lunged for him murderously swinging its club for the weapon masters head hoping to pulverize him like it had all the others outside in the yard.
  Thomas feinted for the monsters head but at the last moment, he dropped to one knee instead as the trolls club passed through the space where he had just stood seconds before.
  He drives both prongs of the pitchfork into the exposed groin of the charging troll. The troll screamed as Thomas withdrew the prongs and with supernatural speed, he rolled with the trolls twisting body to end up behind the beast. With a loud cry, he drives both prongs of the fork into the back of its head to the point of the handle.  The troll crashed motionless to the ground.
The Bull just stared in disbelief his mouth agape almost to his chest, eyes bulged he was left speechless.
  Thomas rushed by him whispering,” That worked out well didn’t it”
  Even the stranger seemed impressed but he turned around quickly before anybody saw his expression. The old man and reached for the reigns of a tall black stallion and pulled it free of its stall.
  Thomas looked about. Hellfire was watching fully saddled from the adjoining stall taking the chaos in his stride. There were three horses saddled and ready and this does not go unnoticed by Thomas. His mind always at it’s keenest during conflict.
The big man pulled the smallest horse clear of its stall. A bay gelding of sixteen hands was obviously meant for Amy and the boy. He grabbed Amy and lifted her on to the saddle handing Sam who was still grinning, up to her.
  The stranger mounted his animal as Thomas turned to face Hellfire. The enormous stallion just glares back in return and pawed the ground as if in challenge. Thomas walked up and blew into the horse’s ear saying something inaudible to the others. He then offered the flat of his palm to the animal. The horse turned to stare as the only man every to be called Weapons master on Eirith vaulted on to the back of the most famous of horses. Hellfire reared and neighed excitedly kicking part of his stall to firewood. He then lunged forward. The horse seemed to relish the commotion happening around them as Thomas brought him to a halt.
  The Bull just stood there for no other beast had been left for him to mount. The stranger aimed his horse in the direction of the door to be followed by Amy and Sam.
  Thomas looked down at his frightened friend who just stood there with a look of despair on his face. The Bull stood knowing what must occur as this deadly moment blossomed.
  ” Give me your hand man mind quick now mind.” Thomas reached out.” A man that makes tubs like you isn’t gonna go wasted tonight if I can help it.”
  The Bull grabbed wildly at the lifeline unexpectedly offered and jumped up behind the big man.
  He’s a legend. He whimpered to himself. The man’s a legend.
  Hellfire made a mad dash for the door. His muscles strained to support the two big men.  Thomas grabbed the pitchfork from the dead troll as they passed and Bull shouted out loud” Why didn’t I think of that?”
  Out in the yard there was pandemonium trolls had broken through the side gate and were herding humans into a group. Ned Farrelly was amongst them.
  As the fleeing horses galloped for the open street, a huge troll stepped from out of the shadows and hauled Amy and Sam from their mount. The horse whinnied and made a dash for its freedom. It was pulverized by a six foot spiked club that smashed the animal in two.
  The stranger made it through in the confusion and Hellfire’s momentum and size prevented an immediate reaction from the amassing invaders.  Thomas wheeled the stallion about in an effort to save his little family but troll bulls cut him off completely and they were lost to sight.
  “They are safe for now,” the stranger shouted his words were clearly heard above the mayhem.  Thomas just stared lost in this world of madness.  The blacksmith shook him violently but got no response. He then shouted “Run Hellfire, Run Boy”
  With that, the stallion turned about on its hind legs. The blacksmith and he had crossed swords before, the outcome had yet to be decided. However, for now he would obey.
  The two horses thundered up the road leading to the stable yard Thomas had visited earlier that day.
  Past it they ran at a full gallop the trolls hadn’t reached this far yet.” Our only hope is to ford the river, it’s just beyond that building,” the old man pointed ahead with his staff. Thomas was expecting bright lights to spring from the tip but he was numbed by what had just occurred all he could think about was Amy and Sam.
  Mindlessly he clung to Hellfire’s mane Willam Hicks held him tightly. They passed the last remaining buildings and encountered open country. Horses raced at full gallop the open ground now laid before them. They raced ahead eventually coming to a stop short of Halfways river boundary.
  Somewhere close behind them they heard the approaching marauding trolls scream for fresh meat.

  “I must go back Amy and Sam are back there!”
The stranger turned to face him.” What do you hope to do against five companies of rock troll then?”
  “Go on tell me I’m intrigued”
Thomas was lost for an intelligent answer the man was totally correct. Alive they could still act. For anyone to return to that madness now would be sheer folly.” What do you know old man tell me now?”
  “What I know Little, would take lifetimes to explain, for now just do what your are told. I know you’re only concern is for the safety of your family but they are the property of the troll for now and that will not change any time soon. Do you hear me?”
  Thomas indicated he had by nodding slightly.
  “First things first! We need a horse for our friend here, weapons, and supplies for a long journey. I will explain everything as we go along.
Blacksmith the first problem is yours alone. You need a horse and you have twenty minutes to find one and return. Any later and we shall be gone.
As for the weapons. Follow me Little!”








Destruction.

  The town was firmly in the grip of panic. There had been no warning given what so ever. A warning though would have made little difference to the eventual out come of the attack. The title to Halfway had changed. Errugel king of the troll nation now ruled here.
  The towns military were soon overwhelmed. Nothing had prepared them for this. A mere handful of troll bulls decimated any resistance they tried in vain to mount.
  The only option was to run or hide. Halfway was a very defendable town being situated in the fork of a large deep fast flowing river. Its retractable bridge once withdrawn would leave attackers stranded on the mainland. Rafts would have to be built but many would lose their lives before reaching the opposite bank. As the situation now stood, the town had been taken by surprise and had become a prison to its inhabitants. The river deep and fast flowing as it was penned them in like sheep.
  To hide now would only put off the inevitable. Therefore, the town quickly surrendered and the wholesale slaughter stopped as soon as it did.  Troll search parties scoured the town herding their captives to collecting and holding areas where they were incarcerated.
  Men are separated from women and children. The trolls were working to a plan and in their own way; they carried it out with ruthless efficiency.
  The R’aaeghoul was employed to sniff out and hunt down any that escaped or hid. Controlled by its handler the massive troll bull that beat it regularly and savagely it tracked down virtually all those that sought refuge from the invaders.
  The town’s buildings suffered devastating damage from the invasion. To enter the buildings in pursuit of their prey trolls had to tear out doorways and force there way in. Fires broke out randomly and raged unchecked, for trolls had no need for human dwellings.
  The sounds of the wounded and dying could be heard coming from everywhere. Trolls pulling large wagons located these quickly and stock piled them living or almost to be thrown in one pile the dead in another. Already wagons were being filled with human dead to leave by the bridge in convoys as they disappeared into the night.
  Amy and Sam are herded in to what was left of the Honey pots stable yard to swell the numbers to well in excess of eight hundred. Amy remained calm with arms held protectively about Sam. All around her Women and children screamed hysterically. Men’s voices rose in anger. Insults were hurled at the beasts but they in turn took little notice.
  The prisoners to help combat the worst of the nights chill lit fires. The young and the old were given the best places closest to the burning fires that appeared like islands among the large crowd.  Questions filled the air as people were demanding answers of no one in particular.” Where are the town elders now?” one would say.” Where are the soldiers why do we not fight back?” came another.
“Be calm my little darling” Amy comforted Sam.” I am ok mother I am not frightened.”
  It had all happened so quickly Amy could hardly remember it clearly. The little party had almost escaped when the huge shadow with arms had grabbed the two from the saddle of their fleeing horse. She had seen it’s grizzly end. Thomas’s and the stranger’s horse were still moving when the advancing trolls obstructed her view of them. The strangers voice shouting” Flee” was the only indication that they may have made it clear. She silently offered a prayer to the gods to intervene on behalf of humanity, but they apparently took no notice.
  “Amy is that you?” came a voice.
  Amy looks around searching the filthy faces that surrounded her.
  ” Amy it’s me. Ned”
Ned’s face appeared in front of her.
  ”Thank the god’s that you two are a live I was worried sick thinking what might have happened.”
  “We are all right Ned how are you and your wife?”
  “I am afraid Aggie did not make it!” he bursts into tears.
  “They killed her before I could get to her, they just tore her to bit’s. How could they do this she was a gem of a woman.”? He said
  “I’m so sorry Ned .I really am. Thank god you are still in one piece.”
  Suddenly hunting horns break through the noises as patrols communicated with one another. Amy listened closely for she was sure that they came from every part of Halfway. The horns stopped to allow the huge war drums to begin. Their booming shook the town and drained what was left of the spirit in the captives. The troll victory was complete now and celebrations were clearly underway.

  Horrible agonizing screams filled the night; cries of mercy from victim’s unseen to all in the stable yard could be clearly heard. Trolls bellowed and raged outside the perimeter of the Honey Pot. All held captive within had a fair idea of what was going on outside. All hoped that none would have the need to feed among these friends and families. Silently prayers were offered for those less fortunate than they.

  Huge blazing fires burned on the outskirts of the town. Troll bull’s danced awkwardly to the hypnotic beat of their drums a ritual lost to all others but them.
  Old men were dragged from groups to stand beside cooking spits spread out beside the fires. The men were spitted with a cold efficiency and were placed close to the flames where they were turned slowly. The victims screamed and screamed till they were too cooked to continue protesting. Skin and hair blistered and burned and the smell of roasting humans filled the night. Breathing in the stench was unavoidable.
  Hungry captives out of sight of this slaughter felt hunger pangs but soon gagged when they were informed as to the source of the aroma.
The old and infirm were given to the trolls for two reasons. The first, the old would be of little use later on and would constitute a drain on resources. Secondly, the trolls needed to be blooded, human flesh was new to them it was to be their reward and they feasted on scores.

  Amy huddled beside Sam and Ned their little group one of thousands in Halfway that night.
  “Father will come for us just wait and see,” Sam said defiantly.
  ” I hope he is as good as they say then, and may the god’s help him” came Ned’s reply.
  “My Thomas will come you can be sure of that have no doubt. We just need to make sure we stay alive to make it worth the trouble.” Amy said in a voice that also had a defiant edge to it.
  “He is with the strange man Hellfire says they have made it clear they are safe for now”
  “Sam what do you mean by that”
  “Hellfire is talking to me mother, in here,” he pointed to his heart.
  ”Who is Hellfire little one” Amy asked.
  “Thomas’s new horse my dear, what is the boy speaking of?” asked the ex innkeeper.
  “I’m not really sure Ned really! This is all news to me too, I promise. Sam seems to have a gift when it comes to animals”
  Ned looks at the pair and lets it go.




Weapons a horse and something else!

The Bull thinks furiously. Right twenty minutes to find me a horse or I am staying right here. He thinks out loud. Mac Shanes is the nearest likely location. He took a deep breath and sprinted in the direction of the horse traders yard.
  He was blinded by the dark but luckily; he had made this trip countless times before for he was the best blacksmith in town. The street was silent except for the distant booming of drums. Evidence of thorough searching was apparent everywhere. His hopes started to disappear.
  Within the yard, nothing was left standing but the paddocks. This looked bad to the blacksmith. If he had made the wrong choice then he was going to be too late to make it back to the others in time. He offered up a prayer to the gods.
  As he approached the paddocks, his prayers were answered. All the horses remained secured.    He puzzles on this deciding they were to be collected when the trolls finally decided to leave.
He cleared a fence and quietly walked through a herd of panicking horses. Even in the near total darkness, he recognized several of the beasts. A big smile lit up his face when he stumbled across one in particular.
  His hands came upon the shoulders of a huge mount. Rippling muscles, he recognised like a blind man by touch alone.
  ”Ah Magnus my friend how pleased am I to meet you” he whispered.
  Magnus was an old friend to this blacksmith having made many an oversized shoe to fit this huge animals hoof. Not quite as large as Hellfire but heavier in build he nickered a greeting.
  This was indeed a warhorse and normally even the blacksmith could not afford such a beast as this. Tonight money paid for little, need was payment enough as he silently thanked Mac Shane for letting him borrow the horse for a day or two.  He led the animal free of the paddock by its halter. Upon closing the gate, he stopped and decided that it would be better to leave the gate open.
  Maybe some of the horses would escape rather than end up as food for those animals. He then decided to open all the gates to all the paddocks and it wastes more minutes that are precious to his own survival. At last, he passed the ruins of the tack rooms where he hurriedly rescued a bridle and saddle from under the debris. Making his way to Magnus’s side, he quickly saddled him and mounted.
  As he whirled about four trolls make their way into the yard and Willam Hicks spots them in the light given off from fires still raging beyond where they advanced.
  He had not been seen yet. The brutes blocked the gateway and his road to freedom.
  The allotted time had surely run out by now.

  “Keep close now don’t fall behind we are just there,” the magician turned to whisper.
  They stood outside the back door to one of the tall buildings Thomas had passed earlier that day on his way to MacShanes.The big man reminisced that it felt like a lifetime had passed since he had awoken with a hangover that morning. Now here he was just a few hours later sneaking in to where one needed an invite or key to enter.
  “This is the towns armoury, we should find what we need inside”
  “How do we get in then?” The weapons master asked quietly. He looked about the night was still. Shadows that could hide just about anything-lay all around.
  The booming of the drums continued to haunt the pair but their thoughts were fixed on one thing. Survival!
  The stranger touched the lock before them with his staff. A click was the only indication Thomas got that the old one had done something worthwhile.
  The other man pushed the door and it swung open to bang against the inner wall.
  “Its black as night in there how are we supposed to find our way?"
  “Like this” came the reply as a soft light glowed from the tip of his staff just enough so that they could find their way. The magician confidently led the way inside.
  ” Let me guess,” said Thomas you have been here before!”
  “I make it my business always to have a plan in reserve! Yes I’ve been here once or twice” the mysterious man replied.
  Thomas Little wonders for a moment about their meeting with the stranger. Throughout the mayhem, the stranger knew what he was going to do. It seems well planned in advance. This he will debate at some other time. He decided now was not appropriate for they were still in great danger. Questions could be asked at one’s leisure.
  “This way”
  Thomas followed closely.
  They pursue a series of corridors that led them at last to a big iron door. It appeared to have been built to protect things of great value. Yet again, the strange man gained entry by touching the staff to the door.
  They entered the room within. Shadow concealed its secrets until the magician’s light revealed all. The room was huge and from what Thomas could make out weapons of every kind were displayed on racks and hooks too many to even consider counting.
  ” It seems the elders had some plan after all.” said the weapons master.
  The towns weapons makers were not only especially gifted but they had also been very busy. Weapons of death were proudly on show absolutely everywhere. Some were even unknown to Thomas this surprised him. He had designs for strange weapons stored in his mind but he thought he had seen all other designs to date. He was wrong. For there they stood devices that looked deadly but to him they just looked complicated .A knew way of thinking.
  The more practical weapons for now became a priority as he rushed amongst the candidates. He first selected two enormous double-edged broad swords. Each at least four foot long and capable of inflicting serious damage to exposed skin.  Exquisitely made he felt their weight and balance. Both were identical and made of hardened razor sharp steel. Intricate patterns and lettering adorned the blades. He returned both to their sheaths and threw them across his shoulders.  Next, he selected two heavy doubled bladed axes thinking that this would probably suit Willam Hicks better.
  He picks up four sheathed twenty-four inch hunting knives as well and also two practical smaller blades and packed them into a leather kit bag designed for such purpose. Everything needed was on view this was incredible.
  Next throwing knives and two longbows made of yew. Spare bowstrings arrows and flint.
  He was well prepared for he can carry no more.
  “Over here Little” the stranger beckoned.
  Thomas struggled with his array of weapons to make his way to where the magician stooped over a large steel box.
  The box lay before the two its lid open revealing its contents. Two fist sized dark oval stones lay nestled on white velvet. Thomas’s eyes were drawn towards the two black objects a wondrous feeling sprang to life within him.
  The magician simply said” Jular a dore wenn.”
  He plucked the two stones from their resting place stuffing one in Littles pocket and the other into his own. Before they departed, the old man grabbed a handful of papers from a wooden chest lying near by and stuffed them inside the weapons master’s overcoat. The big man was surprised at this as the old one smiled.” Take care of these Little for you have yet much to learn. Let’s go”
  They hastily turned and left in time to hear the confusion erupt outside.

  Horses were leaving their paddocks for some reason the blacksmith was not sure, any way it did not matter now.
  He thought to himself maybe they were just hungry or maybe they just know!
  The trolls realized the herds were loose and burst into action. Unfortunately, they panicked four hundred horses already close to the edge by then. A stampede followed as frightened animals rushed towards the gate all determined to be the first one clear.
  The trolls were mobbed and they tried to give way clubs swung about wildly. Animals went down and more tripped over others because of this.  Willam kicked his horse into action and the beast lurched to the front of the pack. It lets out an adrenaline filled scream as it passed a big dung heap half destroyed by the charging horses.  Willam reached toward a dung fork sticking out from the manure and managed to pull it clear.
  The largest troll saw the mounted rider and howled a response. It rushed forward to cut off their escape route through the main gate. As the monster came close enough to strike, either rider or horse Willam launched the four-pronged missile in its direction.
  The troll skidded to a halt in agony. The dung fork embedded in its forehead as it dropped like a bag of rocks to the dirt and did not regain its feet.
  Willam shouted in ecstasy. “Beat that Mr.Little, I think not”

  The others left the armoury as the four trolls entered Mac Shanes yard. They made their way to their place of meeting without incident as the commotion began.
  From the stables beyond came the frightened whinnying of horses mixed in with the angry bellowing of the troll patrol.
  “I wouldn’t like to be caught in there” Thomas said.
  “For once I agree with you my friend,” replied the other.

  Willam Hicks exited the yard at full gallop leaving the lumbering trolls in his wake. Fired by fear and battle lust both he and his mount dashed onwards to catch up with the two that may still await them ahead.
  Out of the dark, he appeared suddenly skidding to a halt within a stride or two of the awaiting pair.
  “You cut that close blacksmith we are leaving,” the man in the chimney shaped hat said angrily.
  “Didn’t think I’d make it to be honest with you. I hope you’ve got a plan, old man!” came his reply.
  Thomas appeared jubilant and said,” Glad you made it, nice horse.”
  Hellfire pawed the ground clearly unimpressed; both horses eyed each other warily.
  “My plan is simple .We have two minutes to find a boat big enough for all three or a raft. If not we are dead for sure. Listen for yourselves.”
  All about them, the sound of hunting horns raised the alarm call others now joined in on the chase.
  “This way “the old man shouted out as he led them closer to the town rather than down river.        ”If there’s a boat we should find it closer to town I hope!”
  They made their way as quickly as was safe to do so in the near total darkness. The magician refused to illuminate their way.
  “I must not give out our whereabouts to the troll we must proceed in the dark for now!”
  They struggled ahead for what seems like an eternity before the silhouetted shapes of river craft came into view barely visible thanks to the faint glow emanating from Halfways burning buildings.
  The sound of pursuit was coming from the trees they had passed only moments before.
The stranger lit up the area surrounding a large half submerged raft. The timbers were lashed together by leather strapping giving it an almost seaworthy look.
  They did not have enough time to debate its finer qualities so they dismounted quickly leading their mounts up the ramp before them.
  The troll hunting party broke free of the tree line behind them with a roaring and screaming of commands. They charged forward hurtling clubs and spears at the fleeing party.
  The magician swirled about and sent a brilliant blue flame that fizzled through the night like a blade on its side towards the charging animals. It cut through the front line like a hot knife through hog fat. Trolls fell apart like wind blown dirt. For the first time the magician faltered then stumbled holding his staff now in both hands.
  With no time to stand and watch both men cast off and reached for two long poles sticking out of the mud on either side of the craft. Both poles sank now into the black waters surrounding them.  Making contact with the bottom, the two big men shoved the raft away from the bank. It moved ever so slowly forward.
  The approaching trolls had regrouped and had replenished their number with others just as enthusiastic as their dead had been.
  Hurled clubs splashed all around the raft as the horses make frightened grunts. Some missiles even came close enough to cause damage as the current finally took control. The raft was sucked clear by the rivers ceaseless grip and they moved swiftly out of reach of even the strongest trolls effort.
  Fading howls bade them farewell as the craft increased its pace as they luckily escaped down river.
  A short time later as the two men silently poled the craft in a straight line, darkness imperceptibly lessened as a new dawn approached.
  “Lets not stray to far,” Thomas said to Willam ignoring the other passenger.
  “Don’t want to let those ugly brutes out of my sights just yet if you know what I mean.”
  The blacksmith looked into Thomas’s eyes and saw the pain the other man must have been feeling.” Sure lets head to the far bank and go back a ways and take a look”
  The third man said nothing to challenge that decision he just seemed content to sit there quietly. Thomas thought it best that he was left alone for a bit.

  Fighting the current, they poled the raft towards a small inlet on the far side of the river. The horses nervous at first seemed calmer now apart from jostling one another. Willam smiled and turned to Thomas “We will have to keep an eye on that pair. I have known them since they were foals its in their nature to settle leadership issues the hard way, that’s why Mac Shane made sure they were kept well apart”
  “Well what happens happens! I will not get in their way. Horses are your business Willam ill take your advice”
  The strange mans horse eyed the massive pair and snorted disdainfully into the air.
  They gained the small inlet, which was barely deep enough to allow the heavily laden raft to enter. Its flat bottom made it easier.
  ” Push together “the old man finally said something.
  ” You steer a raft like two old ladies I’ve seen more ability in logs themselves”
  “We still got you here old man and in one piece too!”
  “Well yes, I suppose I should be thanking you here rather than visiting both of you at a troll cooking fire to say how grateful I am to you both. I dare say you would heed me a little better after the experience, mind”
  “Now are we just going to stand here and insult each other or do we act like men of purpose and get the horses on to dry land?”
  Thomas was the first to lead his horse clear carrying the leather kit bag over one shoulder. Willam followed next with Magnus and last the old man and his mount made it safely to shore.
The area that they chose to beach their craft was shrouded in forest. Higher ground was visible from where they stood. Thomas took the time to empty the contents of the kit bag on the ground much to Willams surprise.
  “My oh my you kept yourself busy back there didn’t you? Where did you find this lot?”
  “Myself and the old man paid a visit to the armoury it was all just lying around so we sort of cleaned the place up a bit”
  “Here try this” Thomas handed him the broad sword; he takes it confidently a good sign thought the big man.
  “Now that’s what I call a sword,”Willam said as he admired the blade.
  “Fine workmanship wonder where they got this?”
  “Still won’t kill a rock troll before they get to beat you into a sticky mess first, and besides swinging those things is going to make you tired pretty quick.”
  The old mans words deflated the pair.
  “If we cant use these than Amy and Sam are lost old man. I don’t care how hard it is to kill whatever they are I’m going to die trying”
  “I would expect no less from you Thomas Little. Let us first find higher ground with which we can survey what is left of Halfway. The swords I shall think upon, but first things first”
  As the two men shared their weapons between them, the old man mounted his horse and led the way.
  There was no discernable track to follow so they made their way as best they could. The slight incline of the forest floor indicated terrain change this helped.
  “This part of Eirith is called Arith Moer to those that know and to the ones that don’t it is called The Silver forest. It stretches for countless leagues to the south and in the morning you will see how it got its name.”
  The two suns had fully risen warming the refugees as they came upon a clearing overlooking Halfway or what was left of Halfway.  The three survivors surveyed the little town nestled in the fork of the river. Each just stood and stared for long moments. Smoke still curled its way to the heavens as buildings burned more still waited to catch fire.
“We will rest here for a while, gather our strength, and try to make sense of what has happened Blacksmith see to the horses than make a fire. Little you are responsible for breakfast.”
  The old man took firm control of the arrangements the other two were glad they didn’t have to and set about their given tasks in earnest.
  “Don’t worry about the trolls pursuing us we are safe for now their attention is concentrated elsewhere”
With that, a human scream echoed the valley the three men turned towards Halfway lost in their own thoughts.





Missing!

  Dame Brundle was known to all as a very early riser. Some say she got up this early to make sure that the birds did not get lazy and sleep it out.
  She lit the candles about her small neat kitchen using a burning splinter taken from the fire that was always lighting come hail rain or shine. The little ancient was one of the constants in the lives of Trilling Brook's residents. Nearly one hundred summers old, the locals often jested as to how many pies and cakes she must have baked over the years.
  Baking was more than a passion for it was her calling in life. When she was not baking for the rest of the village she was baking for the sake of baking. Her produce was unrivalled by anyone else in the Brook. This tiny little lady was a legend among the little folk. She had worn the title of grandma to all for as long as anyone could remember.
  “Another day another pie,” was her favourite saying. She went to retrieve the empty dish that waited for her outside her kitchen window. This ritual always brought a smile to her already cheerful face. Erruel and Oriin were like two adopted sons to her and their pie stealing strengthened that bond. It was a way of showing how much they all cared for one another.
  In return, the two boys would see to her every need. The woodpile was always stacked high to the eves of her little home. Her garden they kept prim and proper leaving her with more time to bake, bake, and bake!
  She reached for the pie dish in the pre dawn darkness and was surprised to retrieve it completely untouched. This was the first time in recent memory that the two pie stealers had failed to strike. She looked about worriedly as she held the uneaten pie close to her as if for comfort. Everything remained quiet as she turned to walk past the woodpile. It was much more depleted than usual. Something felt amiss.
  Podder Moone tipped the ash from his pipe as he knocked it lightly against the fence pole. The noise seemed louder now in the quietness of the night but not to him.
  Dame Brundle approached the quiet man with the pie in her outstretched hands. He looked into her eyes a questioning look as they drew him to the uneaten contents of the pie dish.
  He knew all about her relationship with the chubby pair so he took her meaning instantly.
The hunter had not seen the two boys for some time. He wondered what they could be up to.
  The old Dame stood there a mothers concern showed on her face. Podder liked this little lady even more than he liked her cooking.
  Daylight sent its searching fingers about the pair as the new day won the struggle it had previously lost with the night.
  Birds sang their pitch perfect songs as was usual. The sound of dogs barking in greeting to their own kind signalled the start to another typical day.
  Suddenly the normal pattern to the dawn was rudely interrupted by the tortured sound of wood being stretched to breaking point. The sound of splitting timber crashing to the ground brought the whole village quickly to life.
  Soldier’s ears stood upright as he growled a warning to the forest. These noises were lost to Podder but the dog’s reactions were not. He unleashed Soldier who immediately took off in the direction of the Two Brothers, the mines he said psychologically to himself.
  He was the first to arrive at the scene behind Soldier. He slowed to a halt a look of bewilderment upon his face. In the approaching light of morning with the dew still fresh on the forest floor, he walked dazedly to where the giant brothers had stood silently for generations. There they stood no more.
  Both statues had literally got up and left. Broken and scattered timber body parts that lay strewn about left the only sign that something had ever been there. All that remained intact were the pedestals on either side of the cave entrance.
  Podder examined the area for clues as to what may have occurred. Dwarfs began to arrive in numbers .No one could believe that someone or something had stolen the brothers. Theories and explanations were offered about freely but no one even came close to the truth.
  Podder had his own hypothesis having quickly pieced it together after he discovered enormous footprints leading away from the scene towards the deeper Forrest.
  It could be pure coincidence that two large creatures had left the cave mouth recently. Further searching could not produce any tracks left by the same creatures indicating their arrival.
He thought this very unusual indeed.
  What ever had happened he concluded must have had something to do with the mine. Its guardians or protectors had left so a purpose had been filled or something had happened to remove them. Either way the dwarf, mine was the key.
  From ancient writings Podder had read what little was known about the area in which they had settled. What had been here before the dwarfs?  The little information available was based on old stories and rumours but as always, there may be a grain of truth in it somewhere and he had only explored the caves as far as the old doorway.
  Something clicked in his mind. Two of the most curious and troublesome youngsters in the village were missing. The brothers that served a purpose to guard over old legend were now gone. The only parts of the mines worth exploring were safe behind lock and key.
  An uneasy feeling settled on the little hunter. He going on little more than a hunch decided to check out his theory hoping that no matter how events turned out that the two boys were safe at least.
  Soldier took the lead. As always he seemed to know exactly what the dwarf’s plans were.  Podder stopped at the supply shed. He-needed torches; water a rope and a medic bag.
  Lighting the torch he entered the tunnel leading to the branching paths. When he arrived there, he chose the left one and continued quickly onwards. A casual glance at the floor of the passageway was all it took to identify the boy’s footprints. Now he was worried. Up until then, he was going on theory. It had now turned into reality. What the hell could they have gotten them selves into?
  Soldier marched ahead unconcernedly his easy manner indicated no immediate danger but Podder stayed alert all the same. Since the night, his dog had pounced on him unexpectedly as he had tracked the R’aaeghoul he had vowed afterwards never to let his guard down again. That night he had not being paying attention. A few minutes later the monster had struck the outcome could have been very different.
  He arrived at the shattered door. Podder took little time to look about. Stooping he examined closely the chain and lock. Unmistakeably an axe had sundered it.
A very subtle approach. Some one will have a lot of explaining to do to the village council.
  Podder Moone stood before the doorway. Looking up at the inscription, he takes a deep breath and entered Ural Muthrathe the gateway to the spirit world. He hoped the legends were overly exaggerated.
  The two sets of tracks were easy to follow and he made good time locating where the two had attempted to eat a hasty lunch and had hurriedly departed before they had time to finish. This was curious.

  “Here’s the plan one more time you dummy Oriin.I tie the rope to you because you are fat, that makes you heavy. Got it so far good! I climb down the hole grab the sack, you pull me back up, and that’s it, simple”. Erruel repeated.
  “I didn’t say I don’t understand your really stupid plan. What I said is I am not sure about it and if you call me fat one more time you will go down that hole headfirst and no rope. You mark my words” he turned and stormed off to fetch the rope.

  Upon returning, he looped it about his body twice tying it off in a knot. He hands the other end to Erruel indicating for him to tie it around his neck. Erruel scowled at the little man who seemed to find this moment to laugh with great gusto at this own joke.
  “When you are ready then.”
  Erruel walked over to the hole and lit their last torch. Oriin takes a quick look at the one he had jammed between two rocks and said.
  “We need to do this quickly or we are going to do it in the dark. Torches are nearly gone!”
  “Well, what are you waiting for then, lets do it now.”Erruel replied excitedly.
  Oriin walked towards the gaping hole and bent down to pick up a rock.” Let’s be doing this right then” he said tossing the stone down into the darkness.
  Both waited holding their breath as the stone made a clanking thud a few seconds later.
  “Thank the gods for that. At least it has a bottom to it”
  “All right brace yourself, here I go”
  Erruel dropped to the floor of the cavern as Oriin took up the slack in the rope passing it slowly from around his waist.
  Erruel placed both feet inside the dark fissure and lowered himself out of sight his burning torch he held out before him so as not to singe his bushy unkempt hair, Oriin let the rope pass between his clenched fingers.
  Erruel disappeared from view. The light from the torch illuminated the opening briefly growing fainter as the taller dwarf descended slowly.
  “What do you see?”Oriin shouted out.
  “Nothing yet” came the reply.
  Minutes passed as the rope came almost to its end.
  “Anything down there?”
  A silence followed; the only communication now came from the vibrations felt through the taught rope.
  The line finally paid out in full and came to a stop. Agonizing seconds passed slowly before anything happened. Oriin felt a sudden jerk. He was worried and did not know what to do. They had not thought their plan through passed the doing part. Plan b had yet again been overlooked.
  Should I start pulling now or what? He thought to himself.
  Another sharp tug this time harder still made his mind up for him.
  “I’m pulling you up now!” Oriin shouted.
There came no reply.
  His torch guttered and spat loudly and he turned his head in time to see it finally flicker out.
  Oriin was plunged into total darkness now and with a worried tug he took the strain on the rope and started to retrieve it slowly for it was now a lot heavier.
  ”This is a good sign, haven’t lost him yet” he said out loud
  “Erruel are you still in one piece?”
  He hauled on the rope as fast as his aching arms would allow.
  A glowing light started to make its presence known. As he reclaimed the rope, it got brighter. With relief flooding his aching body Oriin called out”Erruel are you all right?”
  “I’m fine” came the reply.
  “I’ve got the sack its heavy, there’s something definitely inside it”
  Oriin now felt excited. Nothing bad had happened apart from Erruel smashing the door. That did not seem quite so bad now. On countless occasions, things had gone wrong but this time they were being favoured it seemed.
  The first thing to emerge was the torch itself then Erruels arm and a happy smiling face in turn followed this. He lowered their remaining torch to the ground and struggled to lift a heavy looking sack from below him. With an extra effort, he deposited it proudly on the ground in front of Oriin.
  “We did it “he shouted excitedly as the two danced about hugging one another.
  Oriin untied the rope and recoiled it saying,” Lets get moving the torch is nearly spent.”
  Erruel stopped him “Let’s take a quick look first”
  ”No we haven’t time gather our stuff”
  They collected their belongings and Erruel handed the struggling torch to Oriin .He then hauled the sack over one shoulder’s saying” You take the lead then and be quick about it”

  They made for the mouth of the cavern and passed the jagged teeth framing its entrance. Erruel cast a backward glance as was customary when fleeing the scene of a crime. He saw a thin tendril of smoke seep from out of the fissure in the far wall. It gained form and took the shape of the ghostly dwarf leader.
  Erruel turned quickly shouting “Hurry up keep moving and don’t look back!”
  “Why not?”Oriin asked looking back over his shoulder to see the rapidly emerging shades materialize out of the smoky cloud .The leader held his hands outstretched his face contorted pleadingly as he tried to shout something but no sound came forth. The rest of the shades milled about in confusion they looked extremely angry as their leader pointed in the direction of the departing pair.

  The two dwarfs broke into to a dead run for no further encouragement was needed. As they ascended the passageway, the torch gave its last sickly flicker and died. Total darkness engulfed them as panic started to set in.
  “Keep moving straight ahead our eyes will adjust in a few minutes”
  Behind them, the deathly glow from the dead lamps started to grow.
  They heard a deep demonic growl come from somewhere up ahead of them. It rose to become a fearful howl.
  “What the hell is that? Erruel we are going to die, I just know it”Oriin screamed out.
  Trapped between an unknown monster ahead and a pursuing bunch of dead folk was a hard choice to have to make.
  At last Erruel shouted back” Keep going we’ve already seen what’s behind us.”
  They struggled on in the dark feeling their way blindly touching slimy wet walls. Erruel shivered as he remembered what it was he was touching but they were desperate now it no longer mattered to the taller of the two.
  Then from out of the black abyss the creature they had heard howl in the distance snarled menacingly not more than a few paces from where they now stood terrified. They stood deathly still there in the dark.
  Above their heads on the roof of the passageway, something slithered by as a long tentacle dropped down to lightly brush off Erruel. Thinking it was his friend trying to frighten him, he shoved him roughly and Oriin stumbled. All this time the growling intensified chillingly from somewhere just beyond them unfairly hidden by the pitch black. A leathery snake wrapped itself very slowly about Oriins ankles and Erruels arm.
  “What are you doing? “Erruel whispered.
  “What do you mean what am I doing? What are you doing?”Oriin replied.

  It had come to this and they had almost made it. Both dwarfs were practically paralysed with fear. A decision maker was desperately needed. The creature ahead sounded big and ferocious so their next move could prove fatal. Erruel heard Oriin slide his hunting knife clear from its sheath.
  He was totally taken by surprise when he heard his little friend shout” Come on then lets be having you, let’s see what you got. We ain’t going to die easily”
  Erruel felt enormous pride as the light from a living torch appeared from around the bend in front of them.
  Both briefly shielded their eyes. When they looked up the growling beast turned out to be Soldier and the dog lunged for them. Instead of tearing them to pieces as they had thought it would do back in the darkness, the massive dog grabbed the tentacle as it tightened about Oriins leg with a sudden jerk.
  Podder Moone came to a stop as Erruel was whisked from his feet to disappear into the shadows above. The sounds of his terrified screams came from close by. Soldier had the other tentacle clenched between eager fangs .He was furiously pulling on it preventing its owner from escaping with its prey. From somewhere up above them Erruel screamed as the thing that gripped him screamed with obvious pain. Oriin dashed forward to grip the tentacle thrashing about in Soldiers grasp. The heavier dwarf prevented its retraction. Podder ran forward brandishing his burning torch.
The little hunter pointed the flaring brand towards a gaping hole above them in the roof of the tunnel. He saw a dark shape struggling within in an effort to make good its escape with its wriggling screaming meal.
  “Let me go you stinking pile of goat s***”Erruel screamed out loud, as Podder Moone jammed his torch into a crevice several paces below the hysterical dwarf.
  Soldier and Oriin prevented the creature’s escape as its maddened shrill screams deafened all below it.
  Podder saw its maw open wide revealing rows of deadly needle like teeth as it readied itself to murder Erruel so that it could resume its attack on the others.
  Moone quickly readied his bow and fitted two viciously pointed barbed arrows before drawing it to its full. He released without taking the usual time required for such an act.
  Both arrows disappeared into the creature’s maw and it gagged with the force of the missiles impact. It reacted violently by flinging Erruel in their direction.
  Erruel landed on top of Podder preventing any further assault from the marksman. Upon seeing this Oriin screamed out and sank his sharpened hunting knife deep into the writhing feeler held fast in Soldiers grip.  He severed it and Soldier tumbled over as the remaining piece of the attacker was withdrawn from sight with lightening speed.
  Erruel recovered quickly gathering his precious fallen sack close to him. Soldier took one sniff at the dwarf’s burden and instantly backed off snarling intently in Erruels direction. The dog barked furiously then spun around to face the growing glowing lights approaching from behind them.
  The dog went berserk. Podder placed a calming hand on his companion bringing him with great difficulty somewhat under his control.
  Erruel dashed past followed by Oriin. The bald dwarf reached out and grabbed Podder’s collar dragging him along.
  Podder was not a man given to run from the unknown but he decided quickly that the two boys were more familiar with what was down here than he was. He quickly caught up.

  The fleeing group made it to the gateway and passed beyond to crash to the ground in a knot of bodies. The ghostly pursuers followed closely behind. The dwarf dead came to a stop as soon as they reached the ancient gateway.
Outstretched hands and pleading looks were all that could pass beyond that point. The three dwarfs’s looked on in astonishment as the heaving mass of spectres milled about desperately in the doorway before them. A bulging heap with arms extended and faces contorted in silent scream drew ever closer as pale emaciated hands reached for the sack on the ground just beyond their touch.
  Suddenly a chill high-pitched wind roared from the passageways above. It took hold of the ghostly horde wrenching it free of the doorway.
Slowly it dragged them backwards in to the gloom of Ural Muthrate. The ancient dead silently kicked and shrieked as they struggled in vain.
  Only the whimpering of Soldier as he cowered beyond the reach of Erruels sack broke the resulting silence.
  Podder Moone was the first one to gain his feet and his wits. Soldiers behaviour was clearly puzzling him.
  The two younger men got to their feet and Podder’s scowl reduced them to bumbling children. They said nothing for what does one say to a deaf man.
  They both shook their heads as Podder glared in their direction. He slowly turned to face the consternation that undoubtedly waited ahead.


A journey with friends.

  Amy awoke seconds after she lost consciousness. She was determined to stay awake. Mrs.Little subconsciously decided that she would be of no use dead on her feet so she let herself slip back into a fitful sleep.
  The little woman dreamed of Thomas Little. He was riding a black horse as he came for her and the boy with husbands loving arms seeking them both.
  Just as he reached out, she was awakened by a blood-chilling scream. A troll angrily pushed its way into the crowd.
  People were kicked mercilessly while they slept and some were even trod upon. The result was mayhem.
  Frightened and tormented townsfolk struggled to their feet looking about wildly. Within moments, the stable yard was roused by screams, which spread like wild fire.
  Amy fully awake drew Sam to her side.
” I’m hungry mother, I want to go home”
“Don’t worry everything will be fine, your father is coming for us, just be quiet don’t draw its attention.”
  Ned stood close by as the huge troll approached him; it had a cruel look in its eye as it stared down the old man.
  “It’s going to take me away, I’m old and useless I’m the only old person here,” he wailed.
  The lumbering troll pushed the crowd apart to stand in front of Ned. It’s eyes devoured him an evil grin twisted its face. Hot breaths formed clouds in the chill morning air. The stink of rotten meat fouled its breaths making everyone visibly gag.  Some folk turned away from the unfolding drama.
  The troll reached to grab Ned with its huge hands. The old man cowered and closed his eyes. He was plainly terrified.
  He waited to be hauled from his feet but it did not happen. Slowly he opened his eyes to see Sam’s little hand touch the troll. Anybody close enough to see gasped loudly. The towering beast faltered and then shuddered for all to see. It held its breath while cruel fires died slowly in its eyes.
  With that, the troll simply turned around and looked about bemused. It screamed so hard that its head came to within inches of the scattering crowd. It waved huge arms about as it lumbered away its purpose clearly forgotten.
  The crowd regrouped quickly and friendly hands helped those that had fallen to the mud up. Everyone spoke excitedly in the wake of the brute’s departure.
  Ned was dumbstruck he just picked the boy up and hugged him closely.
After that, none of the Trolls seemed to notice Ned even though other younger men were weeded from the prisoners around them.
  The innkeeper was amazed but said nothing. Ned Farrelly was thankful for his reprieve. One man cannot save the world he silently whispered a prayer for those less fortunate than he.
  At dawn, all the prisoners were jostled into lines of four abreast. Troll warriors surrounded them banging clubs upon the earth to demonstrate their complete dominance. Funnily enough, no body disputed this point most just stood miserably in the cold morning air with eyes fixed firmly to the ground.
  In all eight thousand men, women and children formed this line as it wound like a snake from Halfway
  Some carried injuries their fate would be decided soon along the way.
  The trolls gave the signal a deep long bellowing order came from the one that appeared to be in charge. Slowly the snake wriggled into life and made its way forward to gain the bridge.
  Along either side of the advancing line, smouldering bonfires were scattered among the bones of the troll feast. They lay all about in the chilling dawn light. Not a piece of flesh remained to be seen. Bones had been chewed, cracked, and finally sucked clean of hidden nutrients till it became impossible to identify the victims. The heaped pile of skulls that stood ten feet tall and twice as wide made the source of the other bones harrowingly clear. Anguished cries broke out in number among the doomed procession.
  They had begun a journey much to the delight of the circling carrion birds. Their destination unknown they were a people still struggling to comprehend what was happening to them. Within a few hours, their world had turned upside down.  Many had been eagerly anticipating the magician’s next words as he shouted into the astonished crowd. Some of these people lay in steaming piles of dung now as the trolls freely defecated regularly directly beside them as the prisoners slowly made their way onward.
  The last inhabitants to leave Halfway were the horses. Twelve hundred of them were herded clear of the town and pointed in the direction of the dwindling captives that had by then cleared the bridge. Halfway lay dying in a smouldering ruin as Eiriths two suns crested the horizon.




Aldoran

  The only witnesses left behind by the troll invaders watched from a vantage point from the far side of the river. The old man was the first to speak as he turned to the campfire the blacksmith had conjured up. In it’s midst neatly spitted a small wild pig turned in the hands and under the watchful eye of Thomas little.
  “Where are they taking them old man?” He asked coldly without looking up from the task at hand.
  “I suspect their destination will be Baalanthull if I am not mistaken”
  “Baalanthull I’ve never heard of it”
  “My dear man you are trespasser’s in a land that can be very unforgiving. The rules by which you govern your life have little sway on Eirith.This world is home to creatures you cannot even dream of. I think it is time we made things a little easier for you to understand.”
  “Who and what are you old man”Willam Hicks asked angrily.
  “No games mind, we have the right to know what it is we’re in for” he then added.
  “As for what you are in for I cannot truthfully say. All I know for now is that King Errugel of the troll has taken an interest in humankind. Why this should be so, I for now do not know. Those savage brutes you saw before you are but one of the many unknowns waiting in your brand new world. This is the price one must pay if one wishes to leave the safety of one’s own backyard”
  The two big men glanced at one another. This had been a revelation to both of them.
  “Where do you hail from old man and how did you happen to be right here when you were needed?” Thomas asked.
  “As to where I hail from Thomas I can offer only this. I hail from Eirith I have always been here and I figure I always will. I am of this land as you are of yours. However, for me there is one difference I am elemental in my beginnings as you were in your parents hearts. I am as the elves are to their forests. I am a guardian a balancer to all you see about you. I am here to help, it is important that this be known. You are a very special man Mr. Little and your son will shape men’s futures. If I can in any way help maintain the balance I will do so.” the old man said.
  “You have strange powers that staff and the blue fire and the like. Tell me I should not be worried”Willam asked for he clearly was.
  “Ah those are the tools of a wizards trade not to be used lightly of course” he added.
  “Wizard you say! I’ve never heard the like” Thomas looked out of his depth.
  “Lets just keep it simple shall we, I’m a wizard you are a blacksmith and you my friend are a weapons master and by all accounts a gifted maker into the bargain. I hear no one has ever received that coveted title before you!”
  “That was then, right now Amy and the boy are in danger I’ve wasted too much time already.Let us discuss the matters before us after you furnish a name old man” Little demanded.
  The Bull just sat speechless. He does not believe he can be part of this madness. He should be half way through his day’s work he mused. All this was lost for now. They were clearly on the verge of disaster and all they talked about was career titles, he smirked in spite of himself.
  “My name sir.mmmmm! That is the question. For I am known by many .My, favoured name to simplify matters is Aldorane idée Asson, but friends just call me Aldoran and that on Eirith simply means Sheppard. I suggest we eat now, we can discuss so much more on a full stomach,” Aldoran said.
  Thomas drew forth a short knife from his belt and expertly carved nine pieces of succulent pork, which he placed onto plates fashioned from slabs of bark. Each tackled his portions with a hunger shared by all.

  “Tell me Aldoran about your fine performance in the Honey Pot I’m curious” Thomas asked finally.
  “Let me think how do I best begin? Ned Farrelly has been a good man to me from the first. We met when Halfway was not even called by it’s now name. Back then they were just simple folk looking to make a fresh start .I chanced upon Ned one day as he was chasing a pig and making a poor job of it. A couple of makeshift huts were the humble beginnings of Halfway but I could tell even then these folk would survive.
  Ned was a different Ned back then not like the Ned, you know today! Back then my chubby little friend was a leader of men, a man to befriend I can tell you. Our friendship grew as Halfway grew and to cut a long tale short I’d visit from time to time in my travels to entertain Ned and his guest’s with a little magic and some longwinded tales of no import.”
  “You mean every time you performed in town monsters invaded and killed your audience?”Willam genuinely asked.
  “No my friend last night was the first time trust me”
  “Well it was still the best show I’ve ever seen mister ill grant you that”Willam said with a smile.
  “Not from where I stood, I tried to tell those fools to warn them about the troll attack but they just sat there and loved it, I was stuck for ideas. Then it was too late what could I do.”
  “If you just used simpler words we might have understood,” Thomas stated gruffly.
  “I tried the best I could truly I tried.”
  The conversation ceased as each man remembered what had occurred next. It had been a nightmare though the suns shone brightly now in a clear blue Eirith sky.
  “Tell me more about the trolls who and what are they? How best to kill one and be quick my friend” Thomas said emphasizing friend!
  Aldoran stared into the dying fire. He seemed a little lost in thought and for long moments, both men thought he would say no more.

  “Troll in Eiriths true tongue means defiler.
Of all our glorious inhabitants the troll are the blight, a parasite to the peaceful order of things. Created as slaves by the germ in wars long forgotten their purpose to destroy rather than to build. They number in their thousands feasting from the bosom of our Mother Eirith to the exclusion of all others. They rut and kill because that is their nature. They are the counterbalance to all things good. Last night they have shown to all that they have evolved for they now demonstrate collective purpose. They have chosen to stand amongst all races as an equal to none but themselves. Their king stands foulest of life itself. A throwback to Eiriths nurturing power that sustains us all. He may be the new host to the germ. He is to be greatly feared my friends for he consumes and in him, the germ will grow stronger till it can survive as a living evil by its own will. If we allow this germ to multiply the Dark Lord will walk among the living once again. This we cannot allow. The sands in the hourglass ebb in its favour. We are but a few to join the quest, friends along the way we will meet.”
  He took a deep breath as the two listeners were for the second time whilst he performed spell bound.
  “As for how best to kill a troll. Mmmmm let me answer this question carefully. We stand three individuals against a nation of twelve-foot ravenous killers that can be hacked and battered to no avail whilst they grab and fight over our innards. I myself can draw power from Eirith as long as it is not used to destroy the Innocent. Trolls were evil are evil and will always be so. They are spawned from the will of he who cannot be mentioned by his given name.
  Shauul hunts them to this day but I fear they are too numerous to destroy easily. When the germ fled, they seemed less of a threat but their actions last night contradict this.
  I draw from the great Mothers lifeblood like a parasite; I weaken her to protect her. As the evil grows, so will my touch of death. To restore Eirith I have to destroy her for the enemy of opposites is equals. My quest is more perilous now than ever before. To answer your question by the way, Remove its head, pierce its brain, or heart no less”
  “My god help us,”Willam said without thinking.
  Thomas was lost in thought he reached for his broadsword pulling it clear he removed a whetstone and proceeded to hone its edges. His mind was clearly elsewhere.
  “What happened your hair Thomas Little?”Aldoran asked.

  Thomas lifted his head that question above all others got his blood boiling. He looked Aldoran straight in the eye preparing to engage the wizard in a verbal assault but seeing the questioning look from the old man, he decided better. With that, he told the tale of their parting Newhaven Amy’s pregnancy, the trolls and the dragon and Shamuel, finishing with the Mac Shane incident.
  Aldoran and Willam were amazed. Not bothering to ask questions they just sat and took it all in.
  They talked about their situation for many hours and by sunset so much had still to be learned. Aldoran held up his hand and said.” Enough”
  Both men were taken by surprise for darkness had fallen and the fire had burned so low that it took Willam more than a few attempts to rekindle it. A whole day had nearly passed them by!
  The flames caught as the blacksmith sat back.
  ”There is much to learn but that is for tomorrow for now I give you a gift from Mother Eirith”Aldoran announced.
  He brought forth from a pocket hidden deep within his black cloak one of the dark stones Thomas had seen in Halfway. Thomas reached into his own pocket removing its twin.
  ”Behold, Jular a dore wenn! Eyes of our mother” Aldoran proclaimed in a reverent tone.
  Both men stared at the two stones entranced. Aldoran broke the spell.
  “These were given to me by Mother Eirith herself. With them, I draw the strength to defend her. For a time they were lost to me as all important things seem to be from time to time. They are a gift to you it is time to pass them on. Please gentle men hold out your swords.”
  The two big men drew both broadswords simultaneously and presented them hilt first to the wizard.
  Upon receiving them, he placed a black stone on the hilt of each sword saying the words”Ala vbhe pras ure “
  The black stones melted slowly into the blades with nothing but a colour change to mark their passing.
  Thomas and Willam do not know what to do next both endured an awkward silence.
  “Gentlemen those swords now destroy at your command. Use them without malice in your heart and they will serve you well.” Blacksmith tend the horses we leave within the hour”Aldoran’s final word on the matters at hand.

Ambush.

  Thomas wandered over to the blacksmith who had gone to check on the horses picketed close by. They were grazing contentedly on tall lush grasses, which grew in abundance about the quiet clearing.
  “Gives a man a lot to think about doesn’t he? I’m trying to forget most of what he’s told us. It’s not that I don’t believe him. After last night, I think I’m ready to believe in almost anything right now Thomas. I just hope that I can be of some use. I don’t mind saying this especially to you but right now, I’m scared. This is all so new to me.”
  “It’s all new to me too and if it helps any I’m glad you came along. Fear is something a man should treat with respect Willam for it is a constant companion. It keeps us sharp; it is the feeling that guards your back. Without it, we wouldn’t stand a chance. I don’t mind telling you either that I’m half scared to death right now for Sam and Amy”
  “I’m sorry Thomas just reminding me makes me want to charge down to Halfway and cut those bastards in two. I’ll do my best by you my friend. I’ll stick by your side and watch you’re back of that you can be sure”
  “The gods only know what they’re going through. Amy’s a smart girl she’ll keep out of trouble. Aldoran thinks they are safe enough till they reach that city he spoke of. Besides, as things stand, we do not have the power to just ride in and take them back. It makes sense to bide our time get a feel for the enemy till the right opportunity presents itself. It’s like facing a new opponent for the first time Willam. We must not try to best it till we ascertain its qualities for example its strong points and its weak points.  This makes us stronger for we learn from each encounter. The best swordsman can be killed by chance by a weaker one if the two just engage without caution. This is why I am content to wait for now though it brings me great pain. Many will think less of me for not going back to rescue the others no matter what the odds. Know this Willam I am trained in war and the very art of war. It is who and what I am. By doing nothing I have given them the chance to survive. If I had returned the troll might view the two of them very differently.  For now, they remain anonymous. My time will come it always does. I get this feeling that Sam and Amy are in no more danger for now. I can’t tell you how I know this, I just know.
“If it will help take your mind off things a little maybe you could teach me how to use these bloody weapons so I won’t be under foot when you need me most”Willam asked.
  “Bull you’re a good man and a good friend, I will be honoured to help in any way that I can.”
  “There’s one thing making fine swords and axes and the like, its another thing to be able to use them” came the reply.
  In the last remnants of twilight, Thomas threw more fuel on to the fire. Within moments, flames engulfed the dried timbers lighting the area about their campsite in its bright glow.
  He drew the broad sword from its harness the blade caught the light sending flashes into the darkness. He danced through a series of graceful but intricately complicated forms. He seemed to flow perfectly, always poised to strike. The heavy sword sliced the air about him, as he turned on the ball of his feet to impale imaginary attackers to his rear. With a final flourish, he gripped the handle in both hands and murderously plunged the blade in to the ground as if finishing off a deadly adversary.
  “To be good with a weapon is not that difficult Willam.All men can achieve some level of competency. To become special with a weapon this is harder. Any man can fight for that is in our nature. Not all men can fight to the death and beyond till finally his enemy goes down.    Especially when the odds are stacked against him.
  This power comes from within. You must accept that to win you must be prepared to lose and if you fill your mind with thoughts of your death, you will die!
  A fighter must clear his mind of all unnecessary thoughts and feelings. He must relax, let himself become one with his chosen weapon. It is an extension of the man. If the man is properly prepared then he becomes that weapon. A strong willed warrior is a man to be feared he is of the deadly kind. You must clear your mind and seek inner peace this will be lesson one. Draw your weapon and approach” Thomas ordered.
  Willam slides his blade free and held it up to the light.
  Aldoran was watching intently from a log close by. He was intrigued.
”Gentlemen before you begin, remember that your weapons are that of great power, no harm will come to either of you for they cannot be used against one another. Proceed with this belief in mind”.

  Both men circled one another cautiously at first. Thomas was clearly the more relaxed of the two as his eyes fixed on his opponent. He takes his time to study the man.
  To onlookers this sight would be one to behold but tonight these giants are bonded by friendship neither one sought to kill or maim.
  Willam was the first to act. He raised his blade instantly to strike but before does, Thomas’s sword tip came to rest upon his heart. The other man was amazed.
  “Your first mistake. Your eyes told me you would strike. I simply reacted to this tiny advantage while you committed yourself. Don’t think just do. If you see an opening take it there and then, the moments past if you have to think on it. Relax your shoulders hold your weapon loosely. If you are tense, you will have to relax in order to strike. Those are two independent bodily actions. I am relaxed. I strike. This is but one movement.”
  Willam struck again without warning this time. The big sword was weightless in his grip. Thomas brought his sword up and blocked the blow with ease. Before the blacksmith could react, the weapons master swept him from his feet with a low turning kick to the ankles in the direction of Willams attack.
  The bull was sent sprawling as Thomas‘s blade smacked him painfully on the behind. It brought a yelp from the downed man.
  Aldoran could not help himself from laughing out aloud as Willam got slowly to his feet. The Bull threw him a dirty look.
  “We have many weapons Willam not just the one in our hands. Remember your greatest weapon is mind and body.”
  Willam rose fully to a standing position. He had a very dejected look on his face but all the signs of determination were still present.
  For the next hour, the Weapons master tutored his pupil in the basics of using the broadsword.  Thomas was pleased; for the big man was not just a willing pupil, he showed talent too! He possessed strength, determination, and a quick mind. By the end of the lesson, their swordplay enjoyed longer sessions of combat but the pupil still ended up sitting in the dirt.
  Aldoran was much impressed and said to himself best not to let the pupil get over confidant. For he genuinely appreciated the Weapons master’s subtlety.
  “Enough for now we can practice along the way Willam, you’ve done well!” Thomas congratulated the beaming blacksmith with a long overdue clap on the back that would have flattened a smaller man.
  Adrenaline was pumping through Hicks body. He felt alive in a way he did not think possible. He was already eagerly looking forward to his next lesson.
  “Thank you Thomas I’m am in your debt yet again but next time expect your backend to be kissing the dirt I’m known to be a fast learner”

  Aldoran invited the two to join him by the fire.  “Right gentlemen while you have been playing I’ve had much to think upon. Firstly, what it is we should do. Master Thomas’s story has left an awful lot of questions unanswered. Some of them are yours no doubt. As to the creature, you met in the forest, Thomas I do know something of it. His name is Shauul.In Eiriths language it translates to hound of the gods. Shauul is the dark slayer, he my friends is a dragon.
  He is a beast and yet more than a beast. Like me he is a true creature of Eirith .The dragon was born originally of elemental origins but has since become more. They have become their own species with the power to reproduce and evolve like all others.
  Shauul is the oldest of the dragons and by far the deadliest. Eirith empowers him. He takes the hunt for evil to every corner of this beautiful world.
  He is invincible or at least was until the meeting in the forest it seems.
  He is a truly great and noble beast and a friend to all of kind heart.
  In a roundabout way, my friends I am trying to tell you that Shauul is my son.”

  The Bull and the weapons master just stared yet again for the umpteenth time dumfounded.
  “This though is for another days conversation I fear”Aldoran said looking at the two astonished men.
  “It seems he is no longer invincible for reasons known best to him. The scale removed from his heart leaves him vulnerable .On the other hand you may be glad to hear that this precious scale makes Amy and Sam invulnerable too. To my mind, that is some relief. The downside to this good news is that if anything should happen to Shauul then I fear for the consequences, Amy and Sam may not survive. All life has to balance that is the true nature of our magic.
  Shauul is Errugel’s greatest enemy. The dragon decimates his herds and relentlessly binds the troll within their own domain. The fact that he has raided so far from the safety of the Harridion is worrying to me.
  Shauul must attend the gathering so the opportunity for Errugel to do what he pleases has presented itself. I fear he may have learned of the meeting. This has given me much to think upon and answers I have not yet got. We must come up with a plan my friends and quickly!”

  “It sounds simple enough to me old man. We gather an army knock on Errugels door cut his ugly head off, free Amy and Sam and go home”Willam said.
  The two big men laughed at that simple solution. Aldoran refrained and looked pensively into the fire.
  “It’s not going to be quite as straightforward as that. There is worse loose on Eirith than the troll king. The Germ has been freed from its prison; I know this because mother Eirith tells me it is so.  The Germ is a threat to all life and no one is safe. It has remained hidden from this world for several hundred years but this is no longer so.  Meddlesome hands have freed it from its confines and now the world teeters on the brink of oblivion”
  “So its not all bad news then. There’s worse? I don’t believe I am hearing this do you Thomas?” questioned William.
  “I don’t know what to believe in right now. I feel like I have been caught in a whirlpool of confusion. My choices are the wishes of others. I must do what my heart tells me to do. Everything we hold dear to and love is ready to be taken from us. I for one intend to do what’s in my power to prevent this”
  Aldoran smiled,” We are but three, but three is a start.”
  “Where to next then wizard” Thomas asked.
  “We are two meet two brothers who I haven’t had the pleasure of greeting in the flesh for seven hundred years.”

  The moons of Eirith had climbed high enough to perch comfortably in the night sky. Stars sparkled like excited fireflies. The light helped the three traveller’s set off on the right foot.
  Everyone’s belongings were eagerly gathered.  What little remained of their food was salvaged and packed neatly away. The horses rested and fed appeared to share their master’s anxiousness to be on the move.
  The men mounted their beasts. Aldoran took the lead and headed towards a gap in the tree line ahead; their journey had begun in earnest.
  The bright light of the moons and stars soon failed as the travellers gained the cover of the trees. These timbers grew so densely together that little enough light could penetrate during the day let alone the night.
  All three rode in silence the darkness helped to bring thoughts sharply into focus. What lay ahead no one knew for sure. Clearly, an invisible hand was meddling in their fortunes. It followed some sort of unknown pattern for they had not just given up.
  This was what made mankind different from most other air breathing species. Its curse was it’s blessing for they existed as a race in paradox.  They strove as a people to achieve. To never, give in even when they attained their goal. Humans were the ants and to reason with them was futile. Giving up was simply not in their nature.
  In times of greatest peril, the difference was often measured by standing up and taking control before fear made you its spineless slave. This was how the newborn finally conquered Widows breach to settle Eirith.Man was to be feared. Men had magic all unto themselves. They possessed a singled minded relentlessness that nothing could ultimately withstand. The days yet to pass would test this belief to it’s elastic limits.
  All about them creatures of the night stirred. Sounds that were strange and unnerving followed them almost secretly.
  Both big men repeatedly turned to check the trail behind them. They had witnessed horrors but what horrors still lay in wait for them they could only imagine. Their imaginations were destined to fall far short of their mark.

  Aldoran seemed at ease in the poor visibility. While branches and bramble assaulted Thomas and Willam, he remained totally unperturbed. His horse it seemed knew the path it followed and so the wizaed let him have its head.
  Magnus and Hellfire were not so surefooted as they stumbled regularly to be rebuked by a disapproving snort from Aldoran's mount.
  The trio covered five leagues before all three horses nickered nervously as three sets of ears flattened suddenly to signal something was amiss.
  The horses danced about uneasily where they attempted to stand. Eyes exposed whites while their orbs darted about in every direction.
  “What is it Aldoran? Whispered Willam.
  “Be quiet now, nobody make a move, they haven’t spotted us as yet!
  The tension slowly mounted both men felt the presence of their silent companions fears.
  Thomas loosened the bindings of his sheathed broadsword.
  This did not go unnoticed by the Bull as he fingered the double-headed axe. Instinct made him favour it over the sword he did not know why but luckily, he decided to trust his gut feelings.
  All went deathly quiet in the once noisy forest. The night sounds that had accompanied them thus far petered out one by one.
  The horses added new sounds of their own. They were noticeably frightened. Acute senses had discovered a lurking danger waiting out there in the blackness.
  “Aldoran what is happening?” Thomas was worried.
  He was answered by silence for the wizard appeared deep in thought.
  Just then, an owl screeched a chilling sound as it careered  through the canopy lost in the darkness above .
  Willam ducked down as his horse gave a loud snort. Aldoran cursed, the old man's eyes sparkled in anger .The wizard cried out. “Fool.”
  Whooping howls breached the tension that had built to a sickening high. Guttural jeers swamped the awaiting travellers. A cross between a giddy yapping  yell and apelike grunts revealed nothing what so ever of its source.
  Suddenly the audible mayhem stops dead .The silence became deafening  once more and then it became oppressing.
  Aldoran held his staff above his head and said  out boldly “Is muse laruth.”
  A piercing blue light sprang forth from the wizard’s staff to bathe the travellers in painfull daylight. The forest became daytime in all directions. The two big men quickly glanced about to catch a possible glimpse of the danger.
Shadows dashed for cover as the darkness was banished unexpectedly from the clearing.
  “What the hell are those things?” the blacksmith called out.
  Somethings surrounded the travellers. Hidden by the undergrowth their unwanted guests remained on the border of invisibility save for the hundreds of feral orbs that erratically bobbed and blinked in and out of existence. The only indication as to the watcher's intent came from it's unnerving display of hungry eyes.

  “Oust va he droole mon merrack! Asosth e silean xoordrar sisals.”
  -So wizard you dare to disturb your betters know this, my touch is death!

  “Nobody make a move,”Aldoran said in a calm voice.
  “I will take care of him, for we are old friends. You two keep your eyes on the eyes that surround us. They bide their time.”
  A deep breath is exhaled into the clearing. It gathered about their heads as the chill air gave it form.
  The sound of crunching footsteps turned heads. Into the clearing stalked a hulking nightmare.  Lumbering breaths personified the creature’s massive size.
  It came to a stop twenty paces from the wizard.
  About the clearing a low whooping noise emanated from the undergrowth, an ungodly sound filled the night building in intensity as it gripped the travellers. It held them firmly by terror alone. 
  Thomas and Willam remained motionless where they sat both men seemed unsure of what to do next.  The weapons master slowly removed his sword and slid noiselessly from his horse. Hellfire he left to fend for himself for to tie him up would render the animal defenceless. The huge horse tore at the forest floor with his enormous hooves. Hellfire snorted its challenge to the watchers as little slapped its rump sending it into the trees behind them.
  Willam followed suit and removed his axe from its creaking leather harness. He hefted it about to get more comfortable with the weapon. He emptied his mind of all fears and misgivings. The blacksmith prepared himself as best he could for the onslaught simmering before them.
  The light from Aldorans staff prevented a surprise assault and it negated the attackers primary tactic. Nevertheless, they seemed intent on confrontation as their whooping and howling took on an air of madness reaching fever pitch. There was no longer any pattern to it.
  A creature rushed into the clearing to stand before Willam. Wiry arms waved about frantically as it jumped up and down as if in a tantrum. It yelled abuse at the blacksmith. Small beady eyes a deep glowering red focussed on the big man. Two sharp horns grew out from its brow and it brandished them proudly.
  Two sharp fangs rudely interrupted rows of needle sharp teeth. Claws snatched at the air. It was no more than three foot tall. Black hair stood out from its shoulders like a shawl giving this vicious little monster the mane of a scrawny lion.
  It challenged Willam. The blacksmith did not react .The whooping became mocking as the hidden joined in.
  Willam shouted over to Thomas” I haven’t the heart to kill the little critter”
  The little monster disappeared back into the undergrowth and its eyes became lost in the sea of crimson eyes surrounding them.
  The monster Aldoran faced was far worse. Standing fifteen feet tall it was a mountain of living flesh. Two enormous arms gripped trees on either side of it as it readied itself. Its huge mouth opened to reveal teeth like daggers. Parts of its last victims flesh were still impaled there.
  An enormous hairy snout contorted to release a snarl as it bellowed with such effort it had to lean forward to help its release. Eyelids closed about demonic blood red orbs. It snapped hungrily at the emptiness before and below it.
  The monsters huge torso was heavily muscled. It also appeared shielded by bone making it impervious to sword or axe.
  It stamped the ground as if in a fit of temper. Massive thighs powered massive clawed feet. Virago’s outbursts shook the forest.
  “Where is your pet now little man?” The beast shouted belligerently at the wizard. I do not sense his foul presence. He must be far a way indeed.
  This time I will feed on your miserable remains like the beasts of the forest will feed on what will be left of my children after tonight. Your pet will die for its time approaches. I am stronger now old man and I have been searching for you.”
  It stopped and sniffed the air bringing its gaze to focus on the two men. It sniffed repeatedly.  “What are those creatures you infect my home with old man. I smell their fear the warmth of their salty blood calls to me”. It sniffed loudly again.
  “These forests are home to all Virago it is you who trespass. It is you that must thread with care. Times must be changing if you seek to expand your murdering this far north. Be gone and take those detestable dogs with you.”
  Virago turned his gaze to the trees concealing his brethren and said
  “Mulathtreez voraa”-you may feed!
  Willam gasped as scores of huge shuffling shapes advanced from the cover of the trees. All appeared to be much larger versions of the little monster that had goaded them; his stomach tightened till it felt cramped.
  “That was clever of you boys ill grant you that!” he managed to say.
  Thomas Little sprang into action and beheaded the nearest of the monsters with ease. Before its horned head had hit the dirt, he severed the outstretched arms of three other beasts. The sword passed through flesh as easily as through the air. Bone was neatly sliced in two. This weapon was unnaturally sharp.
  Still more creatures broke free of the trees. They carried clubs and broken branches which they swung in fury at the two.
  Willams adrenaline flowed as the sickness in his belly disappeared. He buried his great axe into the head of the first attacker that came within reach.
  The heavy blade sank through flesh and bone and exited at the creature’s waist. It came free under its own momentum. Willam twisted bringing the axe about in a murderous circle hacking to death anything caught within its reach. Gore sprayed indiscriminately about covering all as the two giants wreaked havoc in the clearing.
  Thomas moved among Viragos children hacking them from their feet with an animal grace of his own.
  With that, Virago screamed and howled with rage as he ripped the trees he had been holding from the ground. He charged at the wizard swinging wildly.
  Aldoran raised a hand and the trees in the giant attackers arms became two terrifying serpents. Both wriggled to life and immediately struck to sink venomous fangs into the arms of Virago. They began to coil their bone bursting masses about him.
  The monster stopped and shouted obscenities as it held its two arms out in front of him. The deadly snakes thrashed about seeking a more profitable place to gain purchase.
  Virago sank his own massive fangs into one of the serpent’s head and with violent force ripped it free from its body. Blood gushed down the arms of the beast from wounds inflicted by the giant reptiles. He swung its unresponsive body viciously from side to side. It remained limp.
  He then advanced with the carcass of the serpent hanging lifelessly in its mouth. Slowly he chewed it by reflex action alone.
  Aldoran laughed out loud. He returned the dead beast to its original form. Virago stumbled as he gagged on the half chewed tree. The advancing beast recovered quickly such was its rage. He swung his other arm with bone crushing force against the trunk of a large tree. The second serpent exploded from the impact.
  The two big men by this time were surrounded as they hacked madly about themselves.
  Willam felt a sharp pain in the back of his leg. He looked around to see the little monster that had goaded him earlier. A smile split the big mans face as he ran at the tiny beast .He kicked it so hard that it flew into the air with both arms flailing to crash in agony among the trees.
  Willam laughed out loud, as he brought his axe down on a charging beast splitting its skull with alarming ease.
  Thomas was extraordinary; missiles thrown by the creatures were cut from the air by the great sword. A crushing elbow to the temple to be followed by the scything blade caught anything that made it by his murderous arc.
  His eyes were those of a man possessed. His hair once white was now a deep red from the droplets of blood that rained down on him.

  Virago resumed his attack on the wizard. He circled the old man slowly for his mind was working over time.
  “I will kill you Aldoran your tricks are only a minor annoyance I have a few of my own to share with you!” he screamed.
  He then stopped to face Aldoran. His eyes glowed then narrowed. He gathered a huge breath and spewed red-hot fire at the wizard. The flames engulfed both horse and rider.
  Thomas and Willam ceased their murdering and stared in the direction of the inferno. Their assailants took this opportunity to surround them for they were now two close together to use their weapons without injuring one another.
  Aldoran struggled within the searing hot flames. He tried to bring his will to bear on the others attack. His horse screamed as the engulfing flames penetrated the wizards defences .The screams of the horse as it thrashed about brought the night to its pinnacle.
  Magnus and Hellfire erupted from out of the trees where they had been patiently waiting. The two warhorses burst among the horde scattering them like chickens on a farmyard. Hellfire bit and cleaved with a madness fuelled by the screams from the wizard’s horse .He kicked his way viciously into the fray.
  Thomas Little vaulted dead bodies to confront Virago whose head was held close to the ground such was the effort needed to expel his searing fire.
  Aldorans bright light had been extinguished by now and he was completely engulfed in Virago’s emissions. The blue glow that had shed light on the battle was now red the colour of blood. All about the Wizard and his horse, trees caught fire adding to the intensity of the inferno.
  Thomas charged the beast without any thought for his own safety. The heat from Viragos expulsions very nearly burned him in mid flight.
  He launched with a savage cry into the air as he attacked Virago from the side. The monster was caught unawares for it concentrated to the exclusion of all else on the onslaught it visited upon the old man. That was its primary thought for if he weakened now the wizard’s riposte could prove disastrous.
  Thomas brought his sword down square on the monsters ugly head with all the force his strength and momentum could muster. It proved to be enough. The creature’s ugly face changed slowly from rage to surprise as its fire was quenched by someone else’s actions.
  Thomas retrieved the blade whilst landing and immediately he twisted on the ball of his foot to come about in a tight circle. The magical blade snaked out and sliced through bone and tendon.  Virago’s foul head separated unhurriedly from its shoulders.
  It thudded to the ground with a loud dull sound to be followed obediently immediately afterwards by the rest of its enormous convulsing body.
  Upon seeing the fall of their mighty leader, the ambushing creatures just stopped and stood their ground as bewildered eyes darted about madly.
  The little monster that Willam had dispatched with a contemptuous kick limped into view making a strange gurgling sound. All the monsters reacted and gathered to him. Then they suddenly made for the cover of the trees. The little one was the last to leave as it turned around and snarled back at the defenders. It then reluctantly followed the rest to disappear among the undergrowth.
  Aldoran expanded the blue glow that he was safely cocooned in. The only thing that had saved him from perishing it seemed. The horse was distraught but gathered its wits quickly under the watchful but concerned stares of the other two.
  The old man finally turned to Willam and said,  “You should not have let that little bastard get away. He was their leader their king. Virago the dead was just his pet.”
  Thomas and Willam looked at one another and laughed out loud.

  The quiet of the night returned as the travellers re grouped. Aldoran looked a little shaken by the encounter and said little thereafter.
  They travelled for approximately three leagues before they stopped in a clearing before a small noisy brook.
  “We will make camp here for tonight. I think our little king will spend time licking his wounds. Blacksmith see to the horses Thomas set a fire.”
  Willam led the horses to a sheltered spot beneath the bows of a large Oak tree. He removed the saddles and rubbed each animal down with care and words of comfort enough for all three horses. They responded with genuine affection. At last, he hobbled them and returned to the small blaze Thomas had since started.
  The weapons master washed the blood from his face and hair in the cold waters of the brook. When the whiteness of his hair returned he stood up and shook the water free. Little then tied it back into a braid. He walked up to the fire and said.
  ”Cold but worth it.”
  The heat from the small fire took the chill from the deepening night. Thomas handed out a share of the pork, which they ate now in silence.
  Thomas was the first to speak.
  ”Well you don’t get to do that every day, do you?” he said staring directly at Aldoran.
“Would you mind explaining what happened back there, they certainly seemed to know you old man.”
  “That little critter you had the pleasure of meeting was king Virag.He and the creature I faced are one in the same. The monster I faced is his other half but they are of one mind sharing two separate bodies. Killing the smaller one would have left the larger one helpless for a time. As I have told the pair of you Eirith is a world unlike your homeland, the rules are as different here as the variety of its inhabitants. King Virag is a murdering opportunist I have encountered him before but tonight it feels different his powers have indeed grown. Virago would not have killed me Thomas but I thank you for dispatching him in such a wonderfully creative manner.
  “You are most welcome wizard but tell me what kind of creatures are they and where are they usually found?” The weapons master asked.
  “They are called Hobgoblin. They usually confine themselves to Mount Veegore which lies many leagues to our south .It is a place I had planned to avoid. Now you can see why.  Hobgoblins normally leave large prey alone particularly when armed and capable of defending itself.
  They are more scavenger than predator. That creature Virag has gathered them together and now leads their nation. The abomination came later and I still do not know how. The hobgoblins grow restless this is a bad omen for us. If they can mobilize and do what they just did then anything is possible.”
  “Willam hand me your axe please,” the wizard asked politely.
  With that, the big man handed the weapon across to the old man. Aldoran took it in both hands as if it was as heavy as a feather. He examined it closely. The big men looked at one another in surprise knowing just how heavy it really was.
  “This is very strange gentlemen, very strange indeed. Earlier tonight, I placed one of Mother Eiriths eyes in Willams blade but it now resides in the blade of the axe. How this can be possible is beyond me. Mother Eirith herself has her sights on you blacksmith it looks like she has plans of her own!
  We sleep where we fall tonight my friends. I will take the first watch and call you in turn. May I suggest you try and rest while the opportunity presents itself.”
  With that, the wizard got up and disappeared amongst the trees.
  Thomas looked about the clearing and said
  ” Better do like he says I guess”
  They checked the horses and all appeared well. Both men curled up in their cloaks by the fire and soon fell in to an exhausted sleep.



© Copyright 2007 Shauul (UN: ipcompto at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shauul has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/501819-Look-in-to-my-eyes