*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/502138-Holocust-Rembrance
Rated: E · Book · Self Help · #1212087
This is my blog where I get to whine about writing.
#502138 added April 16, 2007 at 8:10pm
Restrictions: None
Holocust Rembrance
Today is a day to remember and be watchful of this ever happening again.

My grandparents got out of Germany just when all of the Jewish businesses were destroyed. They barely got out with their lives and came to America with what was the equivalent of $10.00 in their pocket, my mother Gabi who was 5 and my uncle Peter who was 2. They were made to leave all of their precious family belongings behind and the rights to any property they may have. My grandfather had family in America who wrote a letter of responsibility to them that allowed them to get out.

My great uncle Irving (who was my grandmothers brother) was not as lucky. Irving along with my great grandmother and his wife Ilse got out of Germany through China and was made to stay in a prisoner of war camp in Shanghai. They were treated very badly, were barely fed and were always afraid of the American bombs dropping around them in Shanghai right near the place they were imprisoned. My aunt Ilse became sick with malaria and lost their little baby she never became pregnant again.

Many years later after I was born and was able to talk to them about their lives their experience in that time was one it would take many years for them to tell me about.

Whatever your feelings are about the world today and or Israel this was a horrific thing to do to anyone and it is our responsibility to stop it where ever it takes place now and in the future.  Remember Knowledge IS Power it arms us against the evil of the present and the future.


© Copyright 2007 Wendy Ann Williams (UN: dolphinways at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wendy Ann Williams has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/502138-Holocust-Rembrance