*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/502174-Movie-Review-300
Rated: 18+ · Book · Emotional · #954458
Bare and uncensored personal expression. Beware!!!
#502174 added April 16, 2007 at 10:32pm
Restrictions: None
Movie Review: 300
I finally got to see 300 yesterday. *Smile* My mother took the kids to see Mr. Bean and she surprised herself by actually enjoying it. The kids had lots of laughs all through it and I got to see something I actually really enjoyed.

It's the kind of movie that, if you enjoy this kind of movie, you should definately see on the big screen with stadium seating and surround sound at least once. I think it'll be great to watch at home in the dark of night curled up with a blanket too.

Of course, if you've a tender stomach and don't like violent movies then you should give it a miss. It's definately not one I'd let my kids watch and since I'm the laid back kind of parent who lets them watch Harry Potter and Jurassic Park that's saying something. There's a LOT of skin which is a good think for adults but again, not suitable for children.

The beginning of the movie was a little slow. There is a great deal of exposition before the REAL action starts but it really wouldn't work any other way either. The whole format is based on the story being a retelling from beginning to end. We watch the past unfold but in the early scenes it's made clear that the storyteller is talking about the past and at the end that's brought back into focus.

The battle scenes were fantastic. I just realized that a lot of it must have been CGI but it's truly flawless. In the whole movie there was never a moment when I noticed computer graphics at work. It was seemless and brilliantly done. I'm usually the sort of person who notices that sort of thing, I watch movies from a writers perspective more than a viewers so finding myself engrosed in the magic on the screen is a huge plus for a movie.

The characters were intensely portrayed. Each role significant and varied. There were only a handful of primary characters and in a movie that involves so many faces it was wonderful to connect with those few only and not feel overwhelmed by all the names.

It's definately NOT a chick flick. Ladies should only watch it if they really LOVE war and strategy movies and games. There are at least two scenes that will have pretty much all women cringing. You have to remember that history dictates the place of women. Having said that, there is also one scene that had me smiling about the difference between cultures and their respect of women. Looking at reality today and what was showing in that movie it's a shame to see nothing much has changed. *sighs*

Overall I really enjoyed this movie and I'll watch it again. I may even buy it on DVD myself to put beside Troy and Kingdom of Heaven on my shelf. This one is definately one of the best movies when it comes to battle scenes and at one point I found myself reminded of Lord of the Rings. In the Battle at Helms Deep you see Legolas and Gimli in friendly rivalry besting each other over body counts. There is a scene in 300 where two men do a similar thing and it's very warming. To see the comradery of men even in the face of such adversity.

The theme really focuses on the glory of man. How honor and a desire to be remembered and to protect their home and family can give them strength against greater odds. How unity and training creates men who stand and fight as one beast against the hordes. It tells the tail of an inner triumph, conquering and coming to command the person within and never sacrificing that inner truth to bow at anothers feet.

A remarkable message and in the packaging that entertains and enthralls. You know, I want to write a movie. *chuckles*


© Copyright 2007 Rebecca Laffar-Smith (UN: rklaffarsmith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rebecca Laffar-Smith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/502174-Movie-Review-300