*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/503625-Monday-Already-A-rant--Sermon-Notes--More
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#503625 added April 23, 2007 at 8:36am
Restrictions: None
Monday Already??? A rant. Sermon Notes. More???
You've heard it before. I can't believe it's Monday. Where did the weekend go???

I have a mini-rant while I'm thinking about it. Not long ago, I received an email from a newbie asking how many gift points one had to pay someone for a review. That whole idea - HAVING to give gp's when someone reviews - has been bugging me for some time. I remember the first time I saw someone actually put that in writing in a "how-to" piece. I think it was how to get seen and reviewed more, and it mentioned that WDC etiquette said that one should reward those who take the time to review one's work.

Who said? I guess I'm a rebel on some level and I HATE it when someone decides I have to do something, especially when it doesn't make sense. I'm not saying that you should never send gp's to a reviewer. But I do wonder about HAVING to do so. Reward good reviews if you want, but the amount given should be up to you. But should you reward that reviewer who is sending the exact same review to everyone, just so he/she can get system rewards? I think not. A thoughtful review, a helpful review, one that points out things that don't work or that do might warrant a few gift points as a reward. But not a short cookie-cutter review. That's my opinion, anyway. *Bigsmile*

On to the sermon notes....

I find it rather..."interesting" that our pastor began a sermon series about building character right before the shooting at VA Tech. His sermon on Sunday actually adressed some of the things that seemed to be issues with the shooter.

There are lots of margin notes this week!

For instance: People today think, "They caused me to do it!" The pastor said that, and as he did, I remembered that when I was in high school and college, many said, "The devil made me do it!" Comedians even said that in their routines. But back then, we weren't talking about someone else causing us to be violent. Perhaps making us participate in a sit-in or peace march. Perhaps "making" us try some drugs. But never "making" us inflict harm on someone else. The world has certainly changed.

Other margin notes: There's a difference between having rights and having responsibilities. Between entitlements and obligations. Between choice and commitments. We focus too much on one side and not the other side (on rights instead of responsibilities, etc.).

Do we think Frank Sinatra was a theologian? That his song, "I did it my way" should be our mantra?

1 Cor 10:12 NIV So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!

If you have been responsible, God will bless your sox off! We receive blessings for just being responsible.

God is interested only in your character. That's the part that lives on into eternity. This is our temporary home. We all have an eternity coming - in one place or the other.

Read Proverbs! The definition of fool is irresponsible. Fool is mentioned over and over (as is the wise one - the responsible one).

Temptations are bad and come from Satan. Inspirations are good and come from God.

The average American spends $1300 for every $1000 he earns. The biggest problem with marriages today is finances. Til debt do us part.

If you're not hungry for God's word, it's because you're filling up on other things. The pastor used food as an example. If you're filling up on chips, when it's time for dinner you're not hungry. If you eat too much stuffing, there won't be room for turkey. We're supposed to be hungry for God's word. If we're not, it probably means we're reading other things, watching news, filling our minds and our time with things other than God things.


On to the fill-in-the-blanks...

The mentality of our culture:

*Note*I demand it. I have my rights.

*Note*I didn't do it. I'm a victim. I blame him.

*Note*I deserve it. The world owes me.

Galatians 6:5 (MSG)
Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.

Motivation for responsible character

*Note*God is observing.

Hebrews 4:13 (NCV)
Nothing in all the world can be hidden from God. Everything is clear and lies open before Him, and to Him we must explain the way we have lived.

Romans 14:12 (NLT)
Yes, each of us will have to give a personal accounting to God.

*Note*People are affected by me.

1 Corinthians 10:24 (GW)
People should be concerned about others and not just about themselves.

*Note*I am rewarded for it.

Deuteronomy 28:2 (MSG)
All these blessings will come down on you and spread out beyond you because you have responded to the voice of God, your God.

Matthew 25:29 (NKJV)
For to everyone who has, more will be given.

Models for responsible living

*Note*I must save my money.

Proverbs 21:20 (TLB)
The wise man saves for the future, but the foolish man spends whatever he gets.

*Note*I must nourish my mind. (Remember garbage in, garbage out.)

Proverbs 23:7 (ASV)
For as he thinketh within himself, so is he.

Proverbs 15:14 (NLT)
A wise person is hungry for truth, while the fool feeds on trash.

*Note*I will admit my mistakes.

Proverbs 28:13 (TLB)
A man who refuses to admit his mistakes can never be successful. But if he confesses and forsakes them, he gets another chance.

2 Corinthians 5:21 (NIV)
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Our pastor suggested that we remember these verses above, about admitting our mistakes and claiming the righteousness of God. He suggested that we write the words, "I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus" somewhere where we can see them. After we have confessed and vowed to forsake our sin, of course.


I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.



I have lots I should/could do today. *Smile* House wifey stuff. Cleaning. Plus I still have things I brought back from Texas that need to have homes somewhere.

Hopefully, someone is coming to look at one or two pianos this weekend. Pray with me that the man buys at least one (two would be better!). It would really help our finances.

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/503625-Monday-Already-A-rant--Sermon-Notes--More