*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/504715-Part-Six
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1252094
The Glyphs yeild both salvation and destruction
#504715 added April 28, 2007 at 11:16am
Restrictions: None
Part Six
Keld explained what happened all those years ago to the king. Not once before then had I seen Keld address someone with so much respect. He bowed before the man that set his bounty. It was a strange relationship they had. I would never forgive someone who was out to kill me. Then again, no one has ever been out to kill me.

The king revoked the mark on Keld and we all felt a bit more at ease. It was strange how we collectively felt safe when Gideon was out there somewhere, ready to strike the king. I knew as well as anyone that this wasn’t a safe place. Then again, the king could not rule his kingdom unless he was here. Fleeing was the same as dying for a man in his position. Perhaps this is why Keld had such esteem for him.

We were given roam of the castle as long as the king was under guard. I stayed in the throne room and examined my surroundings a bit better. There were no pictures on the walls, just tapestries. As I recognized that, I began to wonder what happened to the king before this one. After all, the kingdom had spanned more than a lifetime. It would be impossible for a single ruler to have lived this long.
As I looked up along a marvelous tapestry with many intricate designs, king Phalen approached me and spoke.

“You are an extraordinary child. How is it you came about running with Keld?” He asked me.

“Keld and I met only about a month ago. He trained me. Up until last night, I didn’t even know he was a wanted man.” I answered politely.

“What kind of training? Why would someone your age have needed to fight?” He responded.

“The assassin out to kill you is my former best friend, as well as my father’s murderer.” I responded a bit colder this time. I didn’t like remembering that night.

“Ah, so this is your motive.” The king answered, not pressing further. “You must be very gifted for Keld to offer you help. He was the best of my knights and refused to train nearly all of his allies. I never did know why.”

“He is a great person.” I replied, lacking anything to add. The king shifted his weight and the sleeve of his robe fell back, exposing his Glyph to me again. He must have caught me staring.

“Are you curious about this?” He asked, lifting his arm and exposing more of the intricate drawing.

“The power it has is still a mystery to me.” I admitted.

“It is like that for me sometimes.” He began. “You see, my bloodline shares this common Glyph. It is the only one known to have two gifts attached to it.” He continued, approaching one of the columns he moved earlier. “If you look around, the kingdom’s insignia is etched into every brick along these walls and every layer of this pillar. My Glyph has the power to move objects that have this insignia on them. This is why many doors in this castle have the markings they do. It is the best kind of security available.” He stated, turning towards me again.

“But, what is the other gift then?” I pursued.

“You are quick.” He replied with a smile. “The other gift is less apparent to those who do not have it. You see, it is also a healing Glyph. Though it cannot seal up a mortal wound, it closes scratches and blanches bruises with easy. It has also preserved my relative youth for many years now.” He explained, giving me an answer to my unasked question.

“It is a very strong Glyph.” I commented. Then, I remembered something. “Tell me though, how is it that small peasant girl from before was able to lift your front gate then?” I asked. He sighed.

“Many of my ancestors were not as noble as the population believes. We were a marauding band who seized control of this land through many generations of war and sacrifice. In the constant raids and attacks, it seems my distant uncles and fathers may have spread the lineage beyond the gate of our land. Every few decades, someone is born with this Glyph outside of the royal line. Usually, they do not cause this much trouble though.”

“I’m sure petty theft isn’t that much trouble.” I concluded.

“Not just her, Rosh. Your friend that killed my children could not have entered the castle without a Glyph of this nature.” I froze.

“That can’t be.” I concluded. “His strength is fire, not telepathy.”

“That is a mystery to me as well, but it cannot argue with evidence. My son and daughter do not yet have their Glyphs, and I was asleep until the Reavers drove him from here.” He bowed his head in grieving.

“I can’t believe it.” I stated, dumbfounded at the possibility that my best friend was a descendent of royalty.

“Can’t believe it?” He questioned, raising his tone. “This world is filled with amazing powers, thousands of people, and you cannot believe that your best friend is related to me?” He asked. I saw his point.

We parted until evening. After the guards changed out, Keld and I waited for something to happen in the throne room. The king did not wish to leave for his chambers until the matter was resolved. I believe he knew what was coming.
We crouched in the rafters above the king, looking down at an empty hall. The tapers were all lit and we could see shadows dancing with the flames. Every movement made me jump. Keld however was perfectly still.

The moon passed behind a cloud and for a second, the room was darker. It came then. We heard the front gate open and looked down at the king. He was asleep in his chair. It could only be Gideon.

“Sire!” Keld yelled down. The king woke and saw what was coming towards him. Keld let lose his water and poured it down in front of Phalen. It didn’t help however. A massive column of flames rushed the throne, flash-boiling the water. In no more than a second, the throne was no more. Keld winced and turned to me.

“Listen, Rosh. We’re in more trouble than you may think. Now is not the time to face off with Gideon. I want you to go to the dungeon and free the girl we met yesterday. Bring her somewhere safe. She may be the key to saving this crumbling kingdom.”

With that, he jumped down and gathered the fog. I turned away from the fight, obeying orders. Part of me wanted to stay, to witness Keld’s last moments. However, part of me didn’t want to see him killed like my father. I had a feeling that if I stayed, I wouldn’t have been able to stop myself from fighting to.

© Copyright 2007 Ink Slinger (UN: davidy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ink Slinger has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/504715-Part-Six