*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1250918-Character-Dynamics
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1250918
A simple guide to helping give your character the dimensions they need to carry the plot.
When making a story, it's difficult to work without characters. Characters are essential to a working plot and require nothing but creativity to mannage. However, it helps if you know what you want out of a character.

Purpose

The purpose of a character should be clearly defined before you set to work with the plot. Most stories have both an antagonist and a protagonist. The latter is usually the character that the story is about; the one that propells the plot. The former is the character that stands in the way of the protagonist and adds conflict to the plot. For each character, you should have a background in mind. Give them a story before the story. This adds motivation to their actions, an important dimension for the plot.

Physical Dscription

It is difficult to have a character that has no identity (unless that is what the story is about). To give them a sense of belonging in the story, and to draw in the attention of the reader, you need to be able to describe the character. This involves attire and appearence. A character's clothes should fit the setting of the story. They shouldn't always wear shorts in the arctic, nor sweaters in the Bahamas. In addition, altering what they wear throughout the story makes the character more realistic. A smart person wouldn't wear wet and torn clothes if they could avoid it. Along with clothes, you have to describe the actual character. When it comes to that, remember these three first and foremost: hair, eyes, and mouth. With the right descriptions of these components, a reader can easily characterize their personality and derive more from the actions they perform. Don't forget to include scars and birthmarks too.

Psychology

A character's mind is as important as their look. The way they think gives reason to the way they act. This is an essential component in any central character. Include descriptions of their personality and motivation, subtle or not. This helps propel the plot and make it seem plausable. Depending on how you describe it, their personality can provide a detriment to them; further conflict and a better story.

Skills

A character isn't a character without a trait that sets them appart. Learn to give them a talent or skill that is unique to that person. This skill adds to the plot and can help resolve the conflict. Who knows, it might also create conflict. Remember though, learning and mastering a skill is a process. Do not take the time to describe everything at the begining and leave no room for growth. Growing is what a character does best.

I'm hoping this short guide will help you in creating dynamic, thought provoking, plot propelling charaters that will make your stories fantastic. Please, help me make this guide better. Review it with constructive thoughts about what I may be missing. Thanks.
© Copyright 2007 Ink Slinger (davidy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1250918-Character-Dynamics