*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506532-Bloggy-Evolutions
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#506532 added May 6, 2007 at 2:08pm
Restrictions: None
Bloggy Evolutions
kh53150 said in her entry, "Invalid Entry: Some people do not like the religion/Christianity in my writing and life, but that is not going to change. I think that might be why more people do not visit my blog or port.

I’ve had much the same doubts and experiences. Unlike her, though, I for a while succumbed to those doubts. I knew when I started my first journal I would not garner may viewers, especially return viewers. I was overt in my faith by the title alone: “God’s Way.”

I soon discovered how to check my stats and determine where I stood on the Most Viewed list. Disheartening to say the least. I won’t go there now, and there are times I want to stick a piece of black tape on my monitor where it shows the number of total views.

I then renamed my journal “The Real Me.” Though my views jumped by 30%, it didn’t seem right somehow. It took me a few weeks to realize I wasn’t being true to myself and what God wanted of me – in spite of the title.

Instead of reverting back to “God’s Way”, I renamed it “Finding God.” I thought the new title better reflected my journey of discovering more about who God is, and my singular desire of growing close to him.

So why change it again to “Catching Idle Butterflies”? That was for a purely human reason: I was bored. I was tired of looking at the same title and same introduction day after day. I struggled with changing it, because I wanted new people to know immediately my main focus. I wrote about my concerns, and everyone convinced me the introduction and my entries alone would show people where I was coming from, and going to.

Most of my port items focus also on my faith. Like kh53150, I expected few views and reviews. Still my doubts persisted, and I thought about not adding many of them – even had a temper tantrum once and removed a bunch, or made them private.

But then I went back and reread some of my reviews, even gazed once more on the awardicons some received. My words indeed touched people in a positive way. Sure, they may not have received the number of views and reviews I would have liked, but that’s not the point anyway. I had to ask myself, am I seeking popularity, or something else?

In Disciple II, we’re studying Acts. Luke, the author, stressed one thing throughout - the power of the Holy Spirit. With all that happened, even the ‘bad’ stuff, he gave the Holy Spirit ultimate credit.

How often I forget to do the same! I keep thinking the words I write are mine, and the power to bring others closer to God is also mine. I then take the blame when I don’t see those numbers I anticipate.

I have not the power to save a single soul but my own. I am but God’s servant, doing what he asks of me. The rest is all in God’s hands. He will take my efforts – the words I write – and he will then make certain those words reach the people they’re supposed to. Does it really matter if that number is one or 5000?

Another thing about viewers, either to our blog or other items. We get as much out of it as we put into it. I received very few reviews and views until I went out and read other people’s blogs and reviewed other items.

Only then did people come to my blog, and people I reviewed then came to my port to review my items. It takes a lot of effort, granted, but always it’s been worth it. People won’t seek us out. We have to go out and be seen. That’s how it works in real life, and the same goes here.

Lastly! If you haven't yet, I recommend you visit kh53150's blog. I guarantee she will make you smile and think all at the same time:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1206990 by Not Available.

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506532-Bloggy-Evolutions