*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506695-Something-new
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#506695 added May 7, 2007 at 10:01am
Restrictions: None
Something new
When I went out to survey on Wednesday, I saw on a marquee "2007Amateur Photo Contest/Ends May 18th".

I thought, "Hmm. I'm an amateur and I take photos, perhaps I can enter."

I checked Bob's Photo's website for the rules et al: Each entry only costs $2 and I can submit a maximum of 4 photos a minimum size of 5x7. They all also need to either be matted or framed.

I thought about it and chose these four. I took all of them off the Missouri River near Bismarck with my digital camera:

** Image ID #1051723 Unavailable **

** Image ID #1127333 Unavailable **

A unique sunset

Geese along the river


As usual these small guys don't do them justice. I also found after printing them out, the photo paper and printer didn't do them justice, either.

Like critiquing my writing, though, I scrutinized each photo closely -- too close. I don't think the judges are going to pay that close attention to the detail, but the overall composition.

I asked my mom if she would mat them for me. Not having matted anything in my life, I deferred to her as far as the best size and colors of the mats. She had them done the very next day! She also chose the colors well, because they look much better matted.

Next I need to find plastic or cloth hangers for them, and then I'll be set. I figured the easiest way will be to take them to the photo place and see what they have.

Do I think I have a chance of winning any prize? Not really. I'm sure there will be many contributors who have far more talent, truly amazing photos, and better equipment as far as cameras and printing photos goes.

Still, all I have to lose is $8.

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/506695-Something-new