*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/508059-Blow-out
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#508059 added May 13, 2007 at 10:48am
Restrictions: None
Blow out!
Well, I done called it.

Wrong!

My mom not only knows her art, she knows her photography. Though she liked the tower picture as far as subject, it would not make a good submission to a photography contest.

It has what’s called a blow out, a white spot in the photo caused from taking a picture toward a bright sun. She liked the tower so much though, she recommended I go back and take another one, only this time during sunrise or sunset, and with the sun on either my left or right instead of above or straight at me.

Makes a good excuse to take another trip to South Dakota some weekend, doesn’t it? Still, I’d never make it prior to the 18th, so it’ll have to wait until next year’s contest.

She felt bad afterwards, but I told her not to. I wanted an honest opinion, and she gave it to me.

Speaking of deadlines, I don’t think I’ll make the WD contest for my two stories. I have two finished articles I’m going to send instead. My mind is full of so much other stuff right now, I can’t concentrate on the editing they require.

No matter. Those, too, can wait until next year.

I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday, and near the door sat a little lady with white, curly hair and easy smile. She sat next to a book display, so I knew she was there to sign her books.

I approached and she stood to shake my hand. She introduced herself as Ellen Erickson, a North Dakota author.

I don’t know if it’s the same where you live, but North Dakota takes immense pride in their authors, and we have a bunch of them. One section of Barnes and Noble is dedicated to all North Dakota authors, and it’s a substantial section. Surprising for a state with a population of 600,000.

We spent a few minutes chatting, and what impressed me the most was how comfortable she was. She loved talking about her books - ranging from adult novels, to children’s stories. I could tell she’s used to not only speaking in public, but talking with complete strangers. I bet she’s had many years of practice. I hope to be like her when I grow up.

I bought one of her books, partly because it looked interesting, and partly because I wanted to support her.

Even being an old lady, she’s not too old to learn things (her words!), so she not only has an email address, but a website: http://www.drmarysbooks.com

I had to laugh at her statement about not being too old. It reminded me of Dave’s grandmother. At 87 she learned how to use a computer and ended up writing 5 short books with it.

If you’re a mom:

*Heart**Flower2**Flower3**Flower1**Heart* Happy Mother’s Day!! *Heart**Flower1**Flower3**Flower2**Heart*

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/508059-Blow-out