*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/507688-Small-Things
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#507688 added May 11, 2007 at 10:22am
Restrictions: None
Small Things
First off, do you like this picture?

Stairway to . . . wherever

A few days ago I shuffled through my many folders of digital photos and rediscovered this little guy. I took it two years ago when Dave and I went on a two-day excursion through parts of South Dakota and North Dakota. I don’t remember where, though, but I bet Dave does. He remembers stuff like that.

He went all the way to the top, but I couldn’t. I’m afraid of heights, darn it. It’s so stupid, too; I have trouble even going up a six-foot ladder. My mom and I were discussing it the other day, trying to figure out where that fear came from, but I don’t have a clue.

I discovered this fear when my mom, my sister and I traveled across country from Colorado to see her parents in California. I was seven or eight. We stopped at Meteor Crater in Arizona. Neat place! They had built an overhang that went out 50 feet or so over the edge for tourists to get a better view of the bottom.

Mom told Margaret and I to stand on the edge so she could get a picture of us with the crater in the background. The only reason I walked out there was because my fear of my mother was greater than my fear of heights.

The picture is quite amusing. Both Margaret and I tried to smile, but they came out grimaces, and you can see how stiff I am, ready to bolt the moment Mom took the picture. Sure enough, the second I heard that click, I ran back to solid ground. It probably lasted all of 10 seconds, but I felt like I stood there for 15 minutes.

I’m going to print the above picture and submit it to the photography contest. I think with a dark blue or purple matting, this will really pop. I can only submit four, so between Mom and me, we’ll choose the best four. I think this one will make the final cut. What do you think?

I received this email yesterday!

May 10, 2007

Dear Andra:

We would like to accept your drabble, "Heaven or Hell?", for the 9th issue of The Drabbler: What's really on the dark side of the moon. Please send an updated bio and mailing address at your earliest convenience.

The winners will be announced in the next issue of our Between Kisses Newsletter.

Sincerely,

Terrie Leigh Relf
Sam's Dot Publishing
Drabble Editor/Contest Judge


The funny thing is, I wrote “Heaven or Hell?” in less time than the other two (see "Time Warped and "Beware a Vampire's Friend) with no feedback from anyone before I sent it. I didn’t even post it here to get reviews!

Dave also received a similar email, only they will publish two of his.

No fair! I’m supposed to be the writer in this family!

I am happy for Dave, though, and I’m not surprised two of his drabbles were chosen. Not only did he send eight, but most of them made me cry they were so funny.

He and I agreed, they’re not publishing our personal favorites. Isn’t that how it normally works - our crap writing gets published when our best work doesn’t?

It’s a fickle world, this publishing thing.

Still I’m happy as a peach, and I’m looking forward to receiving my payment - $1.

Dave gets $2, so he buys supper!

Oh, and as of yesterday this here journal is the 881st most viewed blog! Yippee!! (Yes, I was bored).

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/507688-Small-Things