*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/508525-Chapter-Thirteen
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1232025
Deb sets out to find her biological father and finds a whole family instead.
#508525 added May 18, 2007 at 10:36am
Restrictions: None
Chapter Thirteen
         Starting a business, especially a law practice, was not as straightforward or as fiscally reasonable as Deborah had originally thought.  If she hadn’t had her father’s help and money, she’d be absolutely nowhere. 
         Deb hadn’t been lying to Kyle when she’d said she needed the whole weekend to be prepared.  She’d used every second of that short weekend to prepare, organize, set up.  She’d eaten and slept as little as humanly possible.
         It had involved hard work, even physical work.  It had involved endless calls to her father, endless fights with phones and computers.  And, despite all the preparation, she still didn’t feel ready now that Monday was beginning to dawn outside.
         Deb sighed and looked around the office.  This, at least, she felt confident about.  The lobby was exactly what she’d pictured when Kyle had taken her through the very first time.  The walls were a warm green decorated with a few of Laney’s photographs of Lilac Grove that she’d been kind enough to frame and offer Deb.  Deb found the black and white prints offered a sense of community as well as an aesthetic appeal, all while pulling in the varying grays of the couch and two armchairs.
         The reception desk left a bit to be desired.  Despite Deborah’s best efforts to polish and restore, it still didn’t have quite the authoritative gleam she had hoped for.  But, since she didn’t have and couldn’t afford a receptionist at the moment, the desk would do well enough.
         Her office wasn’t quite perfect, but was on its way.  The misty gray of the walls came off just as Deb had wanted—professional and sheen without being dull.  She’d picked a few cheap paintings to add color, but hoped to replace them later.  Her desk was merely a long, dining room table she’d found at a garage sale.  For now, she bought plastic drawers, but she hoped to have some custom drawers built on.  She’d placed to metal file cabinets in the corner.  They were second hand and beaten up and were on her list of future replacements.
         It was all there, as perfect as it could be for now.  It was ready, but was she?  Was she ready for this after practicing law for only a few years?  And was she ready to take this on alone, no live help—her only link in crisis a call to her father.
         The office was hers to succeed with or hers to fail with—Deborah found that oddly comforting.  Though she couldn’t deny the amount of influence and help had come from her father, he was in Detroit—and she was in charge. 
         She would never have guessed that the independence would give her such a thrill.  Though she’d always been a bit of a loner, she’d gone through her life making her choices carefully with the full knowledge the few risks she took weren’t really risks as she’d always made sure there was a safety net below her.
         There was a safety net here as well, she couldn’t deny it.  But it was still a step—a step away from the safety of practicing law with her father, a step away from living with her parents, a step away.  This place was hers whether she managed or didn’t.  This was hers and hers alone.  Tempered with her regular caution and realism, joy tangled up inside her.
         The tap on the door surprised her even more because of the grinning face behind it.
         “Kay?”
         “Hey, Deb,” Kayla greeted cheerfully.  “What’s up?”
         Deb looked out across Main Street and could see that the sun was just beginning its ascent for the day.  She glanced at her watch.  “It’s six in the morning.”
         “Yeah, I’m still on that pesky school schedule.”  Kayla breezed past Deb into the office, her blonde hair pulled back into a casual ponytail.  “Besides, I’ve always been an early riser.”
         The explanation didn’t clear up Deb’s confusion.  “What are you doing here?”
         “Just thought I’d stop by and see if you needed some help.  Dad was trying to wrangle me into some farm chores.”  Kay wrinkled her nose, her dark blue eyes rolling in disgust.  “Love the farm and all, but I hate the chores that go along with it.  If you need help, then I’ve got a reliable out.”
         “Oh, well, that’s nice, but-”
         “Got a secretary?”
         “No, not ready to make that expense yet.  Need customers before I worry about that.”
         Kayla’s cheerful grin never left her face.  “Lucky for you I come at the right price—free.”
         “Kayla, that’s nice but, really-”
         Kayla waved Deb off, already circling the lobby.  “I can only work the rest of May and the first week of June, then I’m teaching summer school.”  Despite her constant smile, the announcement lit her features to a satisfied glow.  “This will help kill the time between now and then nicely.”
         “Kayla-”
         “I can’t stand having nothing to do, and if you don’t let me do this then I’m going to be stuck doing something with manure or tractors or God-forbid chickens.”
         Deborah couldn’t hold back a chuckle at the horror with which Kayla spoke.  But, she had to stay firm.  What was the point of a secretary if she had no clients?  “Kayla, listen, please-”
         Again, Kayla just steamrolled over Deb’s opposition.  “I’ve got secretarial experience, awesome references, and I can type 70 words per minute.  Admittedly, I don’t know a whole lot about law, but I’m a quick learner.”
         “And you don’t take no for an answer,” Deb added, rubbing her temples.
         “Nope, sure don’t.”  As usual, Kayla’s grin was infectious.
         “And, I guess I’m not supposed to say no to family, huh?”
         “Nope.”
         “All right, Kay, when can you start?”
         Kayla twirled around and for the first time Deborah noticed she was wearing pinstripe pants, a white silk blouse, and was carrying a blue blazer.  “How about now, boss?”
         “Now?”  Deb looked around, nerves and excitement and lack of sleep rolling around in her stomach.  “Sounds great.  You’ll need a brief orientation, then… I guess we’re open for business.”

~

         One client, and four curious visitors was enough to have Deb claiming success.  Her client had merely asked her to look over a contract, a short appointment that would likely have no repeat business, but it was more than she had expected or even hoped for.
         It didn’t surprise Deb to find Kyle chatting with Kayla when she came out of her office.  She’d only been glad she’d kept the victory dance to herself in her office instead of bringing it out to the lobby.  However, the cheerful vase of Daisies that sat on the reception desk did surprise her, though perhaps they shouldn’t have.
         “There she is, the conquering hero.  Heard you got yourself a client.”
         “Word travels fast,” Deborah replied, with an amused glance at Kayla.
         Kayla flipped her now loose main of hair over her shoulder.  “Sure does, I’ll make sure of it.”
         Touched, Deb reached out and gave Kayla’s arm a pat.  “Thanks.”
         “Thanks aren’t necessary, I love to gossip and nothing is better than good gossip.”  Kayla waggled her eyebrows at Kyle for Deb to see. 
         “And, looks like Kayla’s already started spreading the word,” Kyle announced, pointing outside.
         Deb felt her stomach dance.  The Kapshaws were piling out of an assortment of vehicles, a regular parade of… family.
         The din of eight people entered the office before any bodies crossed the threshold.  Congratulations poured out from all sides and Deb did her best not to be overwhelmed.
         Laney enveloped Deb in a tight hug.  “It looks lovely!” she offered.  “You’ve done wonders.”
         “Thanks, Laney.  Thanks everyone.  I… you didn’t have to--”
         “There’s no ‘didn’t have to’ in this family, Deb,” Gabe interjected.  “We’re proud of you and what you’ve built here.”
         Deborah felt her eyes begin to mist, but she fought the emotion with every ounce of control she had.  “Thank you, all of you, really.”
         “We brought cake,” Logan piped up, smiling eagerly.
         Kyle laughed.  “And I’m guessing that’s a hint that we should have some.”  He gave Deborah’s hand a squeeze.
         Deborah managed a smile, though a war of emotions was going on inside her.  “Then let’s dig in.”

~

         “Long day, huh?”
         “Mmhmm.”  Deborah stretched out on Kyle’s couch, and he could tell she was doing everything in her power to keep her eyes open.  She’d been too tired to talk him out of coming back to his house, and he’d taken advantage of every inch of that exhaustion.
         Kyle knew what it was like to build something from the ground up and he knew very well the bone-crushing weariness that accompanied the euphoric success.
         So, he thought he also knew, that a gesture would go over more memorably than a gift.
         “All right, ready for your surprise.”
         She mumbled incoherently, her eyes drooping.  Kyle chuckled, taking a seat at the end of the couch and pulling her feet onto his lap.  He slid off the not-so-sensible high-heeled pump and began to rub the heel of her stocking covered foot with his thumb.
         She let out a low purr of pleasure, her eyes almost completely closed now.  He smiled, working his way up and down her foot.  As he slid off the other shoe, he realized the heavy, even breathing meant she was fast asleep.
         Kyle chuckled to himself.  She’d probably been up all night if not a majority of the weekend.  If he hadn’t been afraid of waking her enough to want to go home, he would have insisted she take his bed.  As it was, he slid out from under her feet and went to hunt up a blanket.
         He knew he didn’t have any extra blankets, so he went up to his room and took the quilt off the bed.  She’d likely laugh at it when she woke up, but his mother had made it for him to take to college.  He’d never understood what would possess her to give an eighteen-year-old boy who had just found out he was adopted a quilt, but when he’d moved into the cottage it seemed to fit the décor, so he used it.  And began to realize she’d wanted it as a link as much her to him as him to her.
         Anyway, the blue and gray pattern of lines and geometric shapes wasn’t too feminine, so he lightly draped it over Deb.  She was dead to the word, her hands curled under her head like a small child.
         She certainly was beautiful, though she didn’t think she quite understood that.  Even exhausted and asleep her skin had an exotic appeal that was only enhanced by her shock of straight, black hair.
         Kyle didn’t recognize the uneasy feeling in his chest.  Her rubbed at the odd sensation—a jittery tightness just below his heart.  “Odd," he mumbled, turning away.  He wasn’t interested in figuring out the source of it just yet.
© Copyright 2007 StirTheStars (UN: stirastar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StirTheStars has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/508525-Chapter-Thirteen