*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/510488-Sharing-Wisdom
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#510488 added May 23, 2007 at 1:19pm
Restrictions: None
Sharing Wisdom
I was blessed with having one grandmother living with my family most of the time from the time I was three to thirteen years old. Yes, sometimes she did visit her other kids and grandkids spread out all over the country, but our house was her home base. She always returned there. Having her in the house might have caused a bit more work for my mom, but it also meant she and dad had a built in baby sitter. *Smile* And we kids got the benefit of her wisdom.

Back then, we valued the elderly more than we do today. And, although Grandma's advice might not have been always wanted when it was given, her responses to my childish questions are some of my fondest memories.

Something happened to our society, though. We no longer welcome the adivce of our elders. As a result, those who retire - often forced out of the work place - who have the resources to do so flee to retirement villages in Florida and Arizona. Those who don't have those same resources end up living in local retirement villages. Later, when their bodies are not functioning as well, we ship them off to assisted living centers or nursing homes.

When I have visited these places - the assisted living centers and nursing homes, and sometimes even retirement villages for those still physically and mentally fit - the elderly have appeared to hunger for someone to listen to their stories and wisdom.

A few days ago in doing some research for my son about something, I discovered a site called Elder Wisdom Circle.

I ended up volunteering to help them promote their site by sharing about it in my blog and by telling church members and neighbors (and anyone else who might listen). *Smile*

Here is some of the information they provided:

Elder Wisdom Circle (EWC) is a web-based non-profit (IRS #20-0609575) with a national network of volunteer seniors (ages 60-105) who share their hard-earned knowledge and wisdom with advice seekers worldwide at no cost. About half of the Elders participate individually from their home computers and the other half participate via groups (Circles) at retirement communities. The majority of seniors participating in a group-setting are frail or disabled and the EWC provides their only outlet for meaningful volunteer work reassuring the elders of their value to society.

Anyone with internet access and a problem can use the EWC to obtain free, anonymous and empathetic advice. Any senior over the age of 60 with a desire to share their life-experience with others may apply to become an Elder.


http://www.elderwisdomcircle.org/

Click on the “Seek Advice” from the homepage and follow the simple instructions. A personal reply will arrive via e-mail usually within a few days. Please seek advice yourself and encourage others to do the same. A consistent flow of advice requests ensures work for our existing seniors and helps create an opportunity for new seniors to join.

Do you know of someone over 60 who is online and would enjoy participating in our program? Do you know of a retirement community where the residents would enjoy the EWC as a weekly activity? Please refer to the “Offer Advice” page of the site for more information.

If you would like to assist the EWC, one of our biggest needs is to publicize the existence of our service. Please share the EWC with your friends, family and co-workers. If you have media contacts we would welcome an e-mail via the contact us page of the site.


Their home page asks, "Looking for a Cyber-Grandparent?"

And they proclaim their mission as, "...to promote and share elder know-how and accumulated wisdom. We also have a goal of elevating the perceived value and worth of our senior community."

Won't you check out this site? Ask a question or two? And tell others?

In just a few short years, my hubby and I will be able to join this group of folks offering advice to younger generations. Meanwhile, I know that I will certainly think of a question or two to ask. I think I'm still teachable. *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/510488-Sharing-Wisdom