*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/516463-Think-on-these-things
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#516463 added June 21, 2007 at 9:12am
Restrictions: None
Think on these things
Yesterday after I wrote my entry a small voice whispered, “Think on these things” again and again.

I knew it came from a Bible passage, so I looked it up (plus the voice wouldn’t shut up until I did). The King James version of Phillipians 4:8 reads: “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”

The one thing I love about http://www.bible.com is that I can look up specific passages, search for words and phrases, as well as read in multiple translations. I took this verse and looked up the entire chapter in the New Living Translation (my current favorite).

I want to highlight verses 4-8: “Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.

"Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.”

Quite a difference in verse 8 as far as how it’s written from the two translations, huh? Still, the meaning is the same.

But, that’s a bit off subject.

It’s also quite similar to what the rest of you have commented. Correct me if I’m wrong, but considering my recent ‘downer’ entries, do you suppose God’s trying to tell me something, both through you and this passage? Hmm?

I just read an entry from my previous journal where I wrote, “God will use any and all methods to get our attention.”

He will also do it over, and over, and over, and over again until I get it. I’m kinda slow that way, but I’m also kinda human that way. How many of us ‘get’ God’s messages the first time around - at least consistently?

That he never gives up says a lot about how much he cherishes us.

How’s that for one more positive thing to think about?

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/516463-Think-on-these-things