*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/519202-Chapter-2
by K-chan
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #1286376
Jason had never believed in 'faeries' before he ventured into the Woods.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#519202 added July 5, 2007 at 10:35am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
“Mm…” Soft brown eyes opened slowly to the light of a new day, the chattering of birds filtering in through her window. Rachel smiled and yawned once to rid herself of any lingering sleep. She stretched a little, limbs gliding over the soft sheets of her bed before deciding to get up. Today, she planned to work in the garden, but would not shy away from her duties were anyone to come to her that needed help. Cautiously, her feet touched the floor, half expecting it to still be cool from the night before. To her satisfaction, it was neither cold nor warm, but a gentle cool that greeted her feet pleasantly. It was the beginning of summer, after all. The rock wouldn’t be warm in the morning for another two weeks, and the days of it remaining a stunning cold had passed. Rachel loved this time of year.
Rachel walked to her dresser, picking up a finely-made pale brush from the smooth wooden surface. The brush had been her mother’s, Rachel remembered nostalgically, as she guided it through her amber hair. Her mother was so kind towards her and everyone else that Rachel strived to live just as her mother. She never left the cleared space in the woods that surrounded her home, but Rachel never had to. Everything she needed was in that house; she grew her own food in the vegetable garden and small orchard, and preserved over the winter what she needed to.
Rachel took off her night gown and looked in her drawers for something suitable to wear. Rachel picked up a soft light-blue dress, sleeveless, with tiny flowers embroidered around the collar. Rachel opened another drawer, and threw a loose mesh over-jacket on over the dress to cover her shoulders. She smiled in the mirror, picking up the silver crystal necklace she always wore and clasping it. Yes, today would be a good day.
It was warm outside, which is why Rachel had chosen a dress that only fell to her knees. Rachel knew this from inside her room, but her sentiments were confirmed as she stepped out onto the threshold of her house, taking in a deep breath and breathing in the sweet smell of the flowers in her garden intermingled with the crisp freshness of the pines around her house. At present, she was under the shade of a large oak tree, but it was a bright day, so she would need her gardening-cap on to keep out the sun’s glare.
Rachel stepped back inside, turning into the open kitchen. Her house had many open spaces leading into one another; the kitchen was one. There were no doors to the kitchen, because there were no walls except the outside walls on two sides, and a support beam directly across. Rachel examined the fruits she had picked yesterday, as well as the leftover vegetables. Deciding for an early-morning salad made of cabbage, red peppers, radishes and strawberries, Rachel cut the ingredients into edible portions and placed them in a wooden bowl, deciding to eat her breakfast outside.
Rachel put her straw gardening hat on and walked out the door to a stone bench by a small pond in the middle of her garden. Of course, she brought out all remnants of her salad that she wouldn’t be eating as well, setting them on a dish for rabbits and other wild creatures to partake while she ate nearby. The birds and wildlife around her home did not fear the kind-hearted girl; as long as she moved slowly and deliberately they would even sit atop her head or rest beside her ankles.
Rachel smiled to herself as she began to eat her salad. It was so beautiful out here, yet sometimes Rachel was overcome by a desire to travel. Nonetheless, she remained in the near proximity of her home at all times, for fear of getting lost in the woods and being unable to find her way back.
Over halfway through her salad, Rachel looked up. She thought she’d seen something move in the bushes to her side. Rachel paused a moment before relaxing and continuing to eat her breakfast.
Again, Rachel thought she saw something move from behind the same bushes. It wasn’t a rabbit, or even a fox. It was more the size of a large deer, or small bear.
“Who’s there?” She called softly. “You can come out; I won’t harm you.” Her voice drifted softly to the area, her eyes at peace to better draw out whatever animal it was. After so many years, Rachel had figured out how to coax especially wounded animals out of their hiding place and tranquilize them to allow her to fix any injuries; that was the duty that Rachel took the most pride in: she was the forest’s own personal veterinarian.
“Do you live in this place?” The uncertain voice that answered her sounded like a young man.
“Yes,” Rachel answered. “Please, step forward, so I can see you.”
“You’re sure?” The young man questioned again.
Rachel smiled at the answer, looking to where his eyes must be before responding in the affirmative. “My name is Rachel. Please come forward and introduce yourself; if you’re lost, or hurt, I can help you. I’d be happy to.” She said honestly.
The young man behind the bushes sighed, stepping warily forward. “I…need your help.” He explained. The first thing Rachel could see was a brown hoof, but as the young man moved forward, Rachel saw that this connected to a man’s torso, mapley brown eyes staring at her with concern and weariness.
A centaur! Her mother had told her about them, but Rachel had never seen one before. He had a rich brown coat, and Rachel could see scratches and small clumps of blood in it as he approached where the underbrush scratched him pretty badly. His coat shined with dried sweat, and his hair clung to his head. It didn’t seem like he’d be too hard to treat if those were the only injuries, though he looked to have a limp. However, it might have just been from sheer tiredness, and Rachel didn’t want to seem rude by scrutinizing him too much, so she turned her attention away from his legs and back to his face.
“My name is Anduron.” He said. “It is a pleasure to meet you, Rachel of the Wood.”
Rachel looked at him curiously. She’d never heard that title before. “Likewise, Anduron.” She responded. “Now, what do you need me to help you with?” She asked, walking towards the centaur.
In response, Anduron gestured to his right hind leg. Just as Rachel had assumed, he had been limping. She could see some pretty deep cuts there; it looked like he’d had a nasty encounter with a porcupine or wolf.
“I can’t treat this out here.” She announced. “Please, come with me.”
Anduron hesitated, then replied, “If I must.”
Rachel led Anduron to a room where she had several healing salves and clean clothes stored. Once there, Rachel examined the gash, and then decided to remove the scab that was starting to form. If there was anything in the wound, it had to be removed. Anduron was surprisingly patient. Of course, Rachel had never dealt with the half-human centaurs, but Anduron was calmer than most of the animals, however intelligent, she healed.
After Rachel had rinsed out the wound with a cloth dipped in warm water, she rubbed into the wound a healing salve that would also numb the area. Rachel finished by wrapping a clean cloth around the wound.
“That bandage will allow you to walk around, and even submerge the wound, but do not put anything hot onto the wound: that includes exposing it to fire.” Rachel said. “You can take that off in about…nine days. If it isn’t closed and healing, come back to me.”
Anduron bowed appreciatively. “Thank you. You have been very kind. I will not forget your kindness this day, Rachel of the Wood.”
Rachel smiled. “You’re very welcome. I’d never healed a centaur before, so it was interesting; a pleasure, really; to meet you.”
Anduron smiled. “Likewise, Rachel. However, I must take my leave now. Fare thee well.” Anduron said, bowing again before walking away. Rachel smiled; she hoped to see him again, someday. He was certainly a nice centaur.
© Copyright 2007 K-chan (UN: k-chan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
K-chan has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/519202-Chapter-2