*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/520148-Self-publishing-with-Lulu
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#520148 added July 9, 2007 at 5:29pm
Restrictions: None
Self publishing with Lulu
Well, I thought I'd talk a little about Lulu, a self publisher that many authors use.

I discovered Lulu when I was submitting stories to Nick Pacoine's "Tabloid Purposes" horror anthologies. He used Lulu to publish them. Nick's the kind of guy you either love or hate, but that's neither here nor there. He's got 3 Tabloid Purposes out, and he's working on a 4th, which I'll be submitting a story for as well. If you get a chance, and you like horror, check it out.

Initially, I had a buyer's account with Lulu so I could buy The Tabloid Purposes. When I decided to publish ACROSS THE FICKLE WINDS OF HISTORY with Lulu, it was easy enough to upgrade the account to a seller's account. It cost no money and all I had to do was fill out the "paperwork."

Now the PRO or CON as far as Lulu goes is that it publishes - that's it. You, the author, as responsible for the CONTENT. Mind you, I can write a good story, but formatting and cover design isn't my thing. To that end, Lulu has a service providers that you can use to help you along the way.

I used Lulu's service providers for editing, formatting, and cover design. I also used one to polish my global account and to obtain a review through ForeWord magazine. Yes, these service providers cost, but I was impressed with their fees. I thought they were very reasonable for the services offered and they were less expensive than if you got a publishing package with another self-publisher.

You, the author have total control. It can be a pro or con depending on savvy you are producing the project. (I'm learning as I go) You also retain ALL rights. (That's a pro for self-publishing in that regard)

Anyway, once produced, my service provider uploaded the files to Lulu and I was published. Mind you, that's only where the book is available through Lulu. If you want global distrubation (ie you want the book available through online retailers like Amazon and BN) than you have to buy their Global distrubation package through them for $99.00. It's not a bad price considering the cost others would charge.

As always, with using self-publishing, you the AUTHOR carry the burdon to marketing. Marketing in 2007 is easier on the net than it was in 2002 and the stigma has lesson a little with self-publishing books as the content of them improves. Still, networking on the net can prove challenging.

Anyone have any thoughts on publishing with Lulu? Networking? I'd love to hear them.




© Copyright 2007 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/520148-Self-publishing-with-Lulu