*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/523830-Oh-Boy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#523830 added July 26, 2007 at 10:51am
Restrictions: None
Oh, Boy!
I got my new car! After two days of looking and test-driving I decided on a metallic-gray ‘04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It’s in excellent shape with only 39k miles. Although, already it needs a bath. On the way home from my folks' Saturday night, I drove through a swarm of bugs so thick, it sounded like rain.

My parents live off of a dirt road with horrible washerboards. I’ve discovered the faster you drive over them, the less they make the car jump and fish-tail. I drove over them in my new Jeep at about 30 mph, and Dave said, “Hey, they fixed the washerboards!”

I giggled and said, “Nope. It’s just the suspension on this is better than what we’re used to.”

I had to laugh at my parents, though (nothing new there, hee, hee). Tom had a drink in his hand when I invited him to take a ride in his new investment, and Mom said, “Don’t take that! You might spill it!”

I laughed and said, “I don’t care. After all, soon I’m gonna have a kid in here, and kids aren’t exactly clean freaks. Besides, cars are washable.”

What surprises me is how much I enjoy driving it. I said to Ellen, my co-worker a few minutes ago, “Where should I drive to for lunch today?”

I love my Wrangler, and will miss it, but the Cherokee is a fun ride, though in a different way. It’s comfortable, and smooth. I’ve also put the air conditioner through it’s paces, because the last three days have been 100+ and high humidity. Blech.

We haven’t sold the Wrangler yet. The gal at Dave’s work couldn’t come up with the funds. It’s now at the shop, because it’s not starting very well (a problem I’ve had before, but it’s easy to fix, and not too expensive). The air conditioner belt also needs tightened or replaced, because if it’s on when we start it up, it screeches pretty loud.

If’n you’re interested in a 1997 black Jeep Wrangler Sport with 70k miles, new hard top, half-doors w/ sliding glass windows, A/C, new tires, and manual transmission for $7,500, let me know! I got pictures! The only trouble with it is it’s a salvage, and some finance agencies won’t lend money on a salvaged vehicle, even if there’s nothing structurally wrong with it. In fact, Dave and I both wondered why the previous owner’s insurance agency totaled it. It had less than $2500 damage, and for a $12,000 vehicle (at the time), that’s nothing.

Okay, ‘nuf car talk.

Tuesday was our last Disciple meeting. We had our last lesson, a question and answer session with our pastor that came up during our lessons, and communion.

I giggled (must be my thing. I’m sure giggling a lot) during the prayer, because Kevin, our class facilitator said, “I pray for Andra and her son . . .”

At the end I asked him, “What makes you think I’m going to have a son?”

His eyes widened. “I didn’t say ‘son’, did I?”

We all said, “You sure did!”

He grinned and said, “If you have a boy, you’ll have to call me.”

I giggled (again!) and said, “Actually, when I think of the baby, I think it’s a he, so I bet that’s what I’ll have.”

Many have asked me if I prefer a boy or a girl. Yes, I’m leaning toward boy, but that doesn’t mean I prefer a boy. I would also love a girl, albeit for different reasons. Each have their unique joys. Besides, it’s not like I have a choice!

Come 5 weeks at my September checkup, they’ll do an ultrasound to make sure it has all the right parts, including it’s sex. Dave and I decided to be told then what it is.

My next visit, a week from today, they’ll do the blood tests checking for Down’s and Cystic Fibrosis. Dave wants the tests more than I do. I honestly don’t need them, because no matter the results, it changes nothing. I certainly won’t terminate the pregnancy. It’s not my call to make, but God’s. Like I told my mom, I will take whatever child God chooses to give me. Dave feels the same way, but he wants to know in order to mentally prepare, and plan ahead as far as setting up the house, finances, and insurance (if at all possible).

I have decided against amniocentesis, though. It’s too invasive for my tastes. Then again, I might change my mind if the blood tests reveal a problem. The blood tests can produce false positives that the amniocentesis can determine more for certain. Still, I’ve heard stories where amniocentesis have also shown a problem, yet the baby was born completely healthy. Some things I’m willing to let God take care of, and the health of the baby is a big one. It’s something I have little control over, so there’s no sense in worrying about it.

I admit I look forward to my monthly checkups. I can’t remember a single time in my life when I looked forward to going to the doctor.

It has also made time crawl by, I get so eager for them. At each visit, I learn more about what and how the baby is doing. Plus, at each one (so far), the doctor and nurses have said everything is looking perfect, and that gives me great peace of mind.

As for how I’m feeling? Fat!

My pants are tightening, and some days I feel as though the earth’s gravity has increased. I don’t think I’ve gained more than five or six pounds since my last visit, but my leg bones at least are feeling the difference now. My tummy feels like I swallowed an eggplant. I say eggplant, because the right side is larger than the left. I can’t tell by sight, but I can sure feel the difference. I still poke around for movement, but nothing overt so far. I feel the occasional flutter, but I’m not certain it’s the baby or gas (got lots of that!). I like to think it’s the baby, though.

And hiccups! Do I get the hiccups! They don’t last long, thankfully, only two or three at a time, but I get them at least six times a day.

I’ve also had to take my wedding ring off at night, because in the morning my fingers feel, and look, like sausages. Usually within a few hours the swelling goes down, though. Darn it! I forgot to put it back on this morning, so I’m feeling a bit naked.

My energy levels have stayed about the same; I still want to take a nap every afternoon between 2 and 3pm, and my mood is swinging more lately. Oh, yippee. I’ve been able to keep it under control, but who knows how much longer that will last? I’ve warned everyone to expect little temper tantrums as things progress, so I’m sure they’ll understand if I snap at them once in a while.

I've been able to visit only a few of you, but I promise in the next few days to catch up on those of you I've missed.

Have a loverly Thursday!

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/523830-Oh-Boy