*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/524290-Counting-Dollars
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#524290 added July 28, 2007 at 9:51pm
Restrictions: None
Counting Dollars
The other day, my mom said she wanted to take me maternity clothes shopping. She thinks I should have at least two really nice outfits for going out, or for work. We haven't done it yet, but I thought it was very sweet of her.

She then apologized for not being able to afford to buy me a car like Tom could.

Believe it or not, I was not stunned by the comment. Her mother's way of showing affection was through material goods. Growing up in a materialistic home, she then automatically assumes that's how others expect to be shown affection.

I said, "Don't worry about it. I don't need two cars!" More serious I added, "Besides, I don't count dollar signs. To me generosity is generosity. I don't care how much anyone spends on me."

One of the kindest gifts I received came in yesterday from PastVoices . She bought me a maternity pillow that I can use when my tummy or hips need the extra support, and it doubles as a breast-feeding pillow.

It's no Jeep, but it was still enough to bring me to tears of gratitude. She not only took money out of her wallet, and spent valuable time sending it, but she thought of me and considered my comfort and well-being.

To me the best gift is to be thought of.

Because of Tom, Mom, PastVoices , and every one of you who have sent me your thoughts, advice, and prayers both during my pregnancy, and when life threw me for a loop, I am rich indeed. No amount of dollars can match it, nor would I trade it for anything of this earth.

I can never thank you enough *Heart*.

© Copyright 2007 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/524290-Counting-Dollars