*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/526257-Preperation
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1301826
The story of Tanis, a young elf in the possesion of one of the lost elf crystals.
#526257 added August 7, 2007 at 11:29am
Restrictions: None
Preperation
Seated in the front row of the audience, Fealthor and Kreija had a perfect view as Tanis came into the hall at Sunfade. A striking figure in his black outfit and remarkable cloak, Tanis was the picture of youthful confidence. At only one hundred nineteen seasons, he was one of the youngest elves ever to be granted the honour of a session with the council. Given this honour because of his birthright, many of the elders still did not give him the usual respect that most commanded.

Tanis's father had been the steward of the New Kingdom. Since no elf had given sufficient proof of their right to the Elven throne, the stewardship had remained in the hands of Tanis's family since the last of the elven Kings, over twenty-eight hundred seasons.

Because Tanis's father had left the Kingdom when Tanis was barely over fifty, it was determined that the council should have control of the kingdom until he reached the responsible age of two hundred seasons. Until then, the council would elect a member to become the steward for ten seasons at a time, reserving the position until the true steward was able to retake his position.

The current steward was an aged elf named Tyras. He was a controlling character with vast magical and social knowledge. Entering the circle, Tanis bowed before the steward and told them of his travels.

"I have returned from the Ancient One, Tirwyn, with his response. He requires that I go to the city of Lletya capital of Alfheim. He said there is a peculiar reptile which I will recognize, currently residing in that city. I am to bring this creature back to the elves before the next part of the journey for the knowledge of the crystals may be made.

"I request the provisions necessary to depart on this task, which may take near two seasons of travel to complete. I also request that my peers, Fealthor and Kreija, accompany me on this journey, and proper provisions must also be supplied for them.

"Many of the records from the time of Lletya have been lost over the ages, and I therefore have been unable to attain the information necessary to gain access to the city without a resident in my company. I ask of you if you know a method which may enable us to locate the power orbs, and interrupt their signal to gain entrance.

Once Tanthallas had finished, Tyras conferred with his fellow councilmen. After coming to a silent decision, he stepped forward.

"We shall talk and consider what actions must be taken." said Tyras, sternly glancing around his court. "As to the orbs, you should be able to locate them easily by using a spell tracker. The spells used to create orbs have not had any major changed since we left the Old Kingdom.

"Because you and your companions are so young, we will select an experienced warlock to accompany you. He will also be the only one to know the spells to find the orbs, prohibiting you elfings from 'losing' him on the trail.

"Take care on this journey, Tanthallas. It will be dangerous in parts, and may require sacrifice from you and your companions. You may return at midday tomorrow for your companion."

Bowing slightly, Tanis said, "Thank you for your time and consideration, I look forward to discovering the identity of our companion. We shall begin our preparations to leave tomorrow, after we have talked again." Turning, Tanis left the hall. Slowly the audience exited while the council moved on to other matters.

Tanis and his friends met back in his room once the council had convened. Looking at his companions, Tanis saw that they also were not thrilled at the idea of a warlock traveling with them.

"I see you're both a bit disgruntled. I had not expected they would send someone to accompany us, but it seems that they are generous enough to supply even that. It will help to have a more powerful enchanter with us, especially if we encounter any trouble during our travels. I just wonder who they will choose."

"Probably old Sarklo, he is certainly powerful enough." said Fealthor. "Grumpy enough to keep us in line anyways."

"Oh do be reasonable, Thor, Sarklo is much to frail to handle the rigors of travel." said Kreija. "Anyways, I've heard he's leaving for the peaceful realms within a quarter season. It's much more likely to be a warrior-mage like Ymir, so he can keep up with us." She let her hair hang free, reaching almost to her waist.

Tanis quietly slid farther into the corner, allowing the other two to continue discussing. He was curious what they would end with.

They usually end up with the correct answer between them, he thought. Though Kreija usually catches on first. She's definitely the most intelligent of the three of us, but Fealthor has unparalleled magical ability for his age. I've seen some incredible craft work out of him. His temper does get the better of him on occasion though.

"But that's way to sensible of them." Fealthor vehemently replied, "They'll want to burden us as much as possible to keep us in line. You know how elves get after a couple thousand seasons. With luck we'll end up with someone who can levitate himself, otherwise we may be carrying them!"

"But even to hinder us, Yuri would be better. He's powerful enough to keep us all in his control. Regardless, they want to be really sure we can't just drop him as soon as we find the city."

"I guess." mumbled Fealthor. "Oh! How are we even going to find this so called 'reptile' once we get into the city? There are probably million of reptiles in the city by now."

"I never thought of that." Kreija said. She looked slightly disappointed in her lack of forethought.

"I think I know how to recognize the reptile." said Tanis, stepping into the center of the room. It was dark enough that he was almost impossible to see in his black clothing. Making a magical sign with his right hand, Tanis activated the glow bulbs around the room, lighting it.

"The reptile we seek is none other than the Golden dragon. Think about it. The golden dragon appears once every millennium. It stays in the center of the town for a half season, drawing nutrients out of the aura of the city. No one knows where it lives when away from Lletya, but it should be appearing there within a season.

"I think Master Tirwyn the Ancient recognized this. This task is to prove my strength and ingenuity."

Both Fealthor and Kreija were stunned as they accepted the facts. "I think you may be right, Tanis. That's the only explanation for such an odd task." said Kreija, respect showing in her eyes.

"Now I think we should get some sleep. It's quarter mark till midnight. I'll see you two tomorrow." said Tanis. As Fealthor and Kreija left, Tanis reversed the magical sign, sending the room into darkness once more.
© Copyright 2007 Tanthallas (UN: jotto2wonder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tanthallas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/526257-Preperation