*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/532239-First-Book-Review
Rated: E · Book · Opinion · #1310876
A Blog by an Author, for Authors about the Writing and Publishing fields.
#532239 added September 2, 2007 at 7:28am
Restrictions: None
First Book Review
         As promised, my first book review in this blog.
 
         'Mystic and Rider', by Sharon Shinn. I am not sure what led me to picking up this book, maybe something in the title caught my imagination, or perhaps it was the front cover image, which has a strangely compelling feeling of mystery to it, or maybe it was just blind luck on my part. However that may be, I am very glad that it caught my eye. From the moment I opened the cover and read the first few lines, I was hooked and could not put it down until I had read the very last lines.
 
         In 'Mystic and Rider', the mysterious and powerful female mystic, Senneth, takes up a mission for the aging King of Gillengaria. She is joined by a small band of individuals that not only each have their own diverse talents, but are also a strange mix of companions. An aristocratic shapshifter and her servant, who shares in this talent, two members of the elite guard known as King's Riders, a young, very gifted empath, and a wild, and dangerous creature. Their mission, which sounds at first relatively simple, is made increasingly more difficult, as they travel among the southern houses of the Kingdom, gaging the sentiment of the land, seeking for any signs of discontent among these southern nobles.
 
         Shinn has created characters that jump off of the page and come to life so very easily, amid a world that is different, and yet so close to our own in certain basic ways. She takes the themes of power, and friendship, distrust, and romantic love, and blends them together into a most powerful and dynamic story set amid a world that is on the brink of plunging into chaotic war and rebellion. The magical system of Gillengaria, as well as its political, social, and religious structure are wonderfully complexe and interwoven, and surperbly explained through the story, all of these elements being very crucial to the storyline, not just added on like decoration, or as an after thought.
 
         'Mystic and Rider' is a book that I highly recomend for any lover of fantasy tales, or even the casual fantasy reader who enjoys a good romance with an unusual setting.
 
Sharon Shinn is the author of the 'Archangle Trilogy', as well as other novels about the 'Twelve Houses' of Gillengaria. I will deffinately look for more by this author.
 
 
As always, any comments are welcome. Have you read this book? Or perhaps have ready some Shinn's other novels? If so what are your thoughts?
 
Happy Writing!
 
RD Williams
http://www.authorsden.com/robertwilliams1

© Copyright 2007 RDWilliams (UN: rdwilliams at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RDWilliams has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/532239-First-Book-Review