*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/532500-A-little-bit-of-history-on-Labor-Day
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#532500 added September 3, 2007 at 10:36am
Restrictions: None
A little bit of history on Labor Day
Happy Labor Day all! I thought I'd break from my character studies for a bit to say Happy Labor Day. I just did article for Associated Content about the history of Labor Day and I thought I'd share a little with you.

The first labor day was celebrated on Sept. 5th, 1882 in New York City. It was organized by the Central Labor Union. In 1886, due to the labor unions, an eight hour work day was instituted by the federal government. In Sept. 1887, Oregon was the first state to recognize the holiday and in 1894, it was made a Federal holiday. The intent of the holiday is to celebrate the average worker with parades and picnics. Mind you, I don't think we see many parades and picnics these days. I guess it depends on where you live.

Hope your labor is low key and fun. I'll be working. *Smile*

************

That said, I just want to give extra kudos to Kim-Marie who wrote the Short Stories Newsletter this past week. I had a chance to read it at work and in it she discussed character voice, which is very important in writing in that it gives your character - and your story a feel of authencity. For me, voice is something that has evolving and is currently evolving. I can capture it really good in first person, but I'm still working on my 3rd person voice. If you know of a good story using character voice, let me know.

Well, I've just expanded my reading library. Mind you, it's tough to read when I'm trying to work on my writing as well. Right now I'm reading "A Doorway to Hearts," by SHERRI GIBSON

I'm also impressed with IUniverse's release of my novel, "Destination: Berlin." If you get a chance, check it out.

Have a nice, relaxing holiday.

© Copyright 2007 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/532500-A-little-bit-of-history-on-Labor-Day