*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534199-I-got-a-thrill-today
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#534199 added September 10, 2007 at 3:08pm
Restrictions: None
I got a thrill today!
I was so tickled pink. When I checked my WDC inbox today I found out that I won SECOND place in the
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1115993 by Not Available.
contest! *Bigsmile* for my story,
The Watch Tower  (18+)
Honorable Mention Winner in the 77th Writer's Digest Competition.
#1304009 by StephBee - House Targaryen


So I just want to thank Erika and all the JUDGES of the Stake & Garlic Contest for all the hard work they do. They've got a great contest with great prizes and it's well worth considering entering.

Mind you, I don't have much time to write for contests these days, but I know I have to simply because it helps to keep you sharp as a writer and it helps you to improve on what you've learned and it you build on what you've learned. I don't think I could have written "THE WATCH TOWER" a year ago. I didn't quite have the chops then.

One thing that's important to writing is the RESEARCH. I did a bunch of internet research on the topic & prompt which was to write about Dracula's castle being on sale. I downloaded pictures of the castle so I could see what it looked like and visualize it in the writing. I took a chance making my main character a famous gothic vampire writer, because I thought that would be the best character fit for the story. I was surprised what my research about the building uncovered and I tried to incorporate that into the writing.

Writing the story was fun and I was glad I wasn't on a word count restriction but I did try to be long enough to tell the complete story. Word count restrictions can be very challenging. Sometimes 3000 words isn't enough. It took me about a good 3 week to get the story together. Once I wrote it, it took about two weeks to EDIT it before I felt it was ready for the contest. So short story writing can be time consuming for me.

Anyone else want to share a good contest they've entered lately or the steps they take to put together a story? *Smile* & ((hugs))

Steph

© Copyright 2007 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/534199-I-got-a-thrill-today