*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/535900-Cool-nights-and-gray-hairs
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#535900 added September 18, 2007 at 1:07am
Restrictions: None
Cool nights and gray hairs
Sweet relief!
This is hopefully the first of many pleasant evenings to come minus the weight of the hot air which has become common place. Soon, I will be unpacking last year’s autumn fashions and seeing what is still in style and what still fits. As the circle of seasons come and go so does the inevitable effects of gravity upon this aging man. Although I feel little difference from my younger days, there are noticeable changes, mostly in the way of graying hairs. Now, this change is more socially acceptable for the male of the species, but for me, it has not been a welcome transformation. Each time I sit for a haircut I am shocked at the black to gray hair ratio that falls onto my lap. It’s usually met with a roll of my eyes and a request to my local barber to change the black cape to a lighter shade in an attempt to mask the freshly cut gray hairs. Add to that the birth of new hair growth in places that were as barren as a dessert during my younger days. I guess matters could be worse as I still have my hair and the ability to see my feet while standing. I can even tie my own shoes, so my flexibility is intact.
I have noticed that I seem to get more compliments on my appearance then earlier in life but am not sure if it’s my maturing looks or the fact that I am more self confident, or a combination of the two. Whatever the reason, it’s not always easy to deal with being a solitary, quite, creature of habit. An exciting evening for me might involve a good book, a hike in Squaw Pear Park or, as many of you might have guessed, writing in the comforts of my third place. I like to think of myself as being on a journey with no destination, and no deadlines, while achieving a better understanding of my surroundings.
It’s my little humanities class.


© Copyright 2007 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/535900-Cool-nights-and-gray-hairs