*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/537268
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1155006
Peace marks the end of war; it does not mark the end of trouble.
#537268 added September 7, 2008 at 9:24pm
Restrictions: None
The Accused
Fade glanced at the clock and rolled up the scroll.

"That’s enough studying for tonight.”

"Yes, sir," Seraph said politely and rubbed his eyes. He longed for his bed, but hurrying out of the Master Mage's room would be rude. "Should I return the scroll for you?"

"Thank you, but there’s no need," Fade replied with a faint smile. "I will return it tonight."

There was a soft rap on the door, and an attendant poked his head inside.

"Mage Combustion is here, Master Mage."

"Excellent," Fade beamed. "Punctual, as always."

The fire mage entered, still dressed impeccably in his work clothes. Although he knew that Combustion often worked late, Seraph was surprised to see him up and about at midnight. Almost everyone else was fast asleep by now!

Fade held the scroll out. "Good evening. How goes your research?"

"Not well, I'm afraid," Combustion sighed. "I'm not sure that what I seek is in this library; nevertheless, I intend to complete my term here."

"I see," Fade said, sadly nodding his head.

Seraph could not contain his curiosity, or his concern. "What research? Is this what’s keeping you up tonight?"

"No," Combustion said, and he looked at the flight mage steadily. "It's the trial."

What remained of Seraph’s exhaustion disappeared as his heart leapt to his throat. The trial! It had loomed over him ever since he returned to Angalas—and perhaps for even longer—yet the prospect of losing any remaining freedom or his life had always seemed a distant threat. Now it confronted him directly.

"We had hoped for more time to prepare for it," Fade said, "but recent events have pushed the trial date closer."

"You mean what happened in the Academy?" Seraph asked.

"It’s not just that. Since then, there has been one revolt near Midlands and, most recently, another in the far east, near the Sentralia-Aidi border. Both were put down at the cost of many lives. The Great Mage is anxious to prevent any further rebellion, so he has ordered the trial of senior Easterners to begin during the holidays which, as you know, is only four days away."

"Four?" Seraph felt faint. "And this trial will be public. Will Daylight force everyone to attend—"

Fade chuckled and shook his head. "He has learned from the debacle that was the Angels Festival. Attendance will not be compulsory, but I expect that many will come anyway, out of morbid curiosity if nothing else.

"Our hope is that the trials will show ordinary Easterners how depraved their leaders are, thereby removing any inclination to fight for Ocean. You, Combustion and I will be key witnesses against him."

"Ocean? Wait!" Seraph cried. "Ocean has never been anything but a decent mage. You can't expect me to give evidence against him!"

The other two men stared at him.

"Don’t you know what he did?" Combustion spluttered.

“He did nothing!” Seraph almost shouted. “He never ordered us to kill innocent people or mistreat prisoners, and I’m sure that he would have stopped us if he knew about them. I won’t lie in court against—”

Fade held up a hand. "Nobody is asking you to lie. If you know nothing of this, you know nothing of it. All we want is for you to tell the court everything you do know about Ocean and Virtue, and also about Image's attack on Midlands fortress. Is that alright with you?"

“That’s just fine,” Seraph said faintly.

The image of the Midlands hostage and the civilians he’d murdered were still ingrained in his mind. No, he certainly had no problem with this request.

“Good,” Fade smiled. “You’ll also be happy to know that Great Mage Daylight intends to pardon you for your crimes. He will announce it tomorrow.”

Relief flooded over Seraph, but then he frowned. Something wasn’t right.

"Why would Daylight save me?” he asked Fade. “Surely he would prefer to have me out of the way, both disgraced and deceased."

"It's not that simple, Seraph. The Great Mage needs to show that Easterners who repent and are prepared to cooperate will be shown mercy. If he doesn't, there would be no reason for other rebels to lay down their arms and the troubles will escalate. That is why Daylight wants to save you. Besides, where would I find a replacement flight teacher at such short notice?"

Seraph shook his head, bewildered. Again, he decided that he hated politics. He didn't understand it, and it too often pulled him back and forth like a feather in a storm.

"Well, that is all for today. I must sleep now, so goodnight, gentlemen."

The two young mages bowed and left. They walked to the library silently, lost in their own thoughts, and it wasn’t until they had almost reached their destination that something occurred to Seraph.

“Shuxue, didn’t Fade want to speak to you about the trial?”

“Not really,” Combustion replied as he fished for the library’s key. “He wanted me to be on hand, in case you had evidence against Ocean and had to be persuaded to provide it.”

“Persuaded?”

“Not by force, of course,” he added hurriedly. “Just some friendly encouragement, coupled with some knowledge of what happened during the war. I wasn’t needed though.”

“I see.”

Seraph had no idea why, but he felt a little disappointed.

“I also had another reason for coming tonight.”

“Really?” Seraph looked at him with interest. “What’s that?”

Combustion paused in the act of turning the key. He took a deep breath, looked at the flight mage and said, "I have a favour to ask."

---

Combustion kept his eyes shut. He trusted Seraph to find the court by himself, and he wasn't sure whether he would panic or faint if he did look. He couldn't afford to lose his grip. After all, the flight mage wasn't holding him this time.

"Are you all right up there?"

"Fine," Combustion said in a hoarse voice.

A gust of wind buffeted the pair, and the Furan tightened his grip, eliciting a pained grunt from his friend. Again, Combustion reminded himself that he wanted this. Ten nights ago, he’d asked Seraph to fly him to court and back, and despite the flight mage’s protestations, he’d finally relented. They both understood how guilty Combustion felt after failing to rebut Din’s accusation. Kidnapping the librarian indeed! Well, Combustion was finally going to prove him and all the other doubters wrong in a very public manner.

And this time, he at least had someone between him and a huge drop. It was the only good aspect of riding on Seraph’s back.

"You'll only have to hold on for a little longer now,” the flight mage said. “Think you can do that?"

"What do you think?"

But Combustion managed to crack an eyelid open. Below them was the 'court', or rather Angalas' biggest square. Within the square, over twenty rows of seats had been set up, and almost all of them, beyond the first two rows, were already filled.

"So many." Seraph's voice was faint with awe.

"You’re not on trial," the fire mage reassured him.

"Thanks. That’s good to know." He was quiet for a while before saying, "Shuxue?"

"What is it?" Combustion asked.

"We're about to land. It would be easier for me if you unwrapped your legs from ’round my waist."

"Oh." Combustion felt his face and neck burn as he hastily complied. He hadn't meant to cling that tightly.

"OK. Get ready to drop!"

"What?!"

Then he remembered what Seraph had said. Any landing involving a passenger could be awkward, and when the passenger was on the flight mage's back, a well-coordinated landing was especially important. That meant no sudden, unexpected movements from a rider overeager to touch the ground.

And yet…he didn't want to land just yet. Now that Combustion was less frightened, he appreciated how Seraph felt in his arms—

"Is this low enough for you?"

Combustion looked again. The flight mage was hovering in front of the first row of seats, less than a metre from the ground.

"Very funny, Hugh."

He knew Seraph was grinning as they began rotating to an upright position. Slowly…slowly…

"Now."

Combustion let go and, a moment later, Seraph settled beside him. They smiled. The Furan hadn't throttled his friend, both had landed on their feet, and the sudden loss of weight had not sent Seraph shooting upwards. Combustion’s grin widened when he saw Din's form, which towered over the audience.

"Thanks for the ride, Seraph," he said in a voice loud enough to reach the sound mage.

Din scowled.

Then another familiar person came into view, and Combustion suppressed a groan.

"Caleb," he said as calmly as he could, "what are you doing here?"

Seraph whirled around. "I thought you'd left for the heavens long ago!"

"Without saying goodbye to you?" The angel smiled warmly at the flight mage. "I have been in the palace for the past two months, acting as adviser for the Great Mage Daylight, and during this trial I am the questioner."

Both mages stared. Angels had never participated in a trial before, let alone take the second most important role in one.

"I thought Truth would be the questioner," Combustion finally said.

He at least trusted her more than Caleb.

"Dear Furan, who better to question witnesses than a being that Sentralians trust and worship? Truth will be present though. Between the two of us, we will unearth every wrongdoing.

"Now, Combustion, you will sit in the first row, with the other witnesses appearing today. As for you, Seraph, please follow me."

And with those words, the pair was separated. Just a moment before, Combustion could hardly be closer to Seraph, and now…now Caleb was taking him away. He forced his anger down his throat and walked away.

---

Dean stood behind the last row of chairs. He saw Seraph, carrying a Furan mage in red robes, fly into the square. He watched in awe as the angel approached and sent the foreigner away. The Furan practically stomped to his seat, and Dean frowned after him. Where had he seen that man before?

"Are you actually going to watch this?" a harsh voice whispered.

Dean did not bother to turn. "Hello, Kelby."

Carts arrived, and Dean counted nine prisoners. He could not see them clearly, but everyone knew who they were. Dean gritted his teeth. To think that that mages of such high stature, including Great Mage Ocean, could be forced to wear the dull grey uniform of common criminals and paraded in dirty, wooden carts!

The prisoners were led or dragged to the front row of seats. He saw Seraph bow to Ocean, and his heart clenched with hope.

"Maybe Seraph won't betray his fellow Easterners after all," he whispered.

"Maybe," Kelby grunted, and then he hissed. "Look who's here. It's our so-called Great Mage!"

Dean whipped his head to the other end of the square, where Daylight and Truth were making their entrance. Daylight looked solemn in his sombre clothing, but Dean still remembered the overly-decorated, boastful mage who appeared during the Angels Festival. He wouldn't forgive such arrogance any time soon.

Daylight seated himself on his makeshift throne and spoke to the angel.

"Your Holiness, Questioner Caleb, please read the charges and the defendants' responses to them."

The angel nodded. "The former Great Mage Ocean II has 246 counts against him, for which he has pled innocent. These are 21 counts of extermination, namely against the towns of North Valley…"

"That's it!" Kelby said, loud enough to cause nearby spectators to jump. "I came here to sell livestock, not listen to this farce. Coming?"

Dean knew he'd regret it, but he was drawn to the unfolding nightmare. He couldn't help but look.

"Maybe later."

---

Seraph didn't know how long he'd been listening to the angel. It had been hour at least!

He stole a glance at Ocean, who sat only one row in front and two seats across. The former Great Mage looked so worn and old and vulnerable. Surely it was impossible for him to have even contemplated those crimes, let alone commit them. But then why did Caleb read the charges against Ocean in the same accusatory tone he used when he recited those against Image? And—

"Seraph."

With a start, the flight mage realised that Ocean was returning his gaze.

"Don’t make the mistake of testifying against us, especially Image. You know that these Westerners care nothing for justice. Daylight will execute anyone who’s in their way, and that includes you, once you’re no longer of use to them."

“But the angel—” Seraph whispered.

Ocean sneered.

“Ocean,” Caleb said suddenly, “you should know better than to interfere with a witness.”

“This is an illegitimate trial. I’ll do what I like,” Ocean replied, but he did turn away from Seraph.

Daylight glared at his predecessor before looking at Caleb.

“Any further charges.”

"No, Great Mage."

“Then please call the first witness."

Seraph shuddered as he turned to listen to the witness. That sneer.

---

Shadow slipped behind his Master Mage. "How goes the proceedings?" he whispered in his ear.

"Fine so far," Fade replied, but he looked troubled.

Shadow followed his gaze and spotted Ocean, who was trying to make eye contact with Seraph. The flight mage was ignoring him, or perhaps merely focused on the witness at the front of the court.

"Do you worry that Ocean will persuade Seraph to withdraw his testimony?" Shadow asked.

"Not really," Fade said. "I'm more concerned that Seraph knows too little."

"I don’t understand."

"He has enough evidence to damn Virtue and Image, but of Ocean he knows very little. I had hoped for better, since every other high-ranking Easterner has refused to cooperate and since the evidence against Ocean is circumstantial."

"Otherwise the Great Mage would be forced to free him?"

"To foment another rebellion? No, Daylight can’t afford to free him, but there may be just as much unrest if Ocean remains imprisoned. I think we’ve made another mistake."

© Copyright 2008 Ariadne (UN: ariadne25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ariadne has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/537268