*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/914129-The-Spirit-Vampire-Chapter-Four
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #914129
Eve finally receives the explanations she needs. (Final chapter)
Chapter Four: Aftermath


Eve awoke to find her husband and daughter hovering over her bed.

"Mum, how are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," Eve croaked, "And I'm so glad you're alright. Dave, aren't you meant to be at that conference?"

"I came back early when I heard the news. It's all over the papers!" David took a deep breath, "They were saying that some masked men vandalized the church, assaulted Cathy and a priest, stabbed Therron and - well - everyone's after those guys now."

Eve glanced over David's shoulder. Catherine placed a finger over her lips. "I remember all too well. I'd rather not talk about it right now."

"Of course, dear. You need to rest and grieve in your own way. I must go home and unpack, but before I leave, I have some good news. The priest has been released from hospital and the doctors say that both you and Therron should recover."

Eve's eyes had begun to drift shut as she heard his last words. When she opened them again, Father Raphael had replaced her family.

"Good afternoon, Eve. I thought that I should come to offer my condolences."

Eve sighed. "There's no need. The baby wasn't my child. Therron is though, isn't he?"

Father Raphael ran a hand over his bandaged head. "I owe you an explanation. In the church, I had told you that the demon had used your mother's voice. What he said about spirit vampires was true, but Therron isn't your son. He was a miscarried foetus who had been preserved in a glass jar for many years before he came into my possession."

"So the devil attempted to make me avoid Therron because he had been trying to warn me?"

"That's right. Therron did not at first recognize the demon. When he found out, he wanted to refer you to me, but when he found that you distrusted him, I decided to contact you directly. I'm sorry. It was never meant to end like this."

"Actually, I owe you both an apology. What if that demon had won?"

"If he had been born, even Therron wouldn't be able to defeat him. He would have founded a new, satanic religion that would rival Christianity. Don't worry, that won't happen because Therron ate him up."

"Did you create Therron to fight the devil then?"

Father Raphael laughed. "If I had, we would have been able to help you much earlier. I created Therron for two reasons. First, I never had a child and I desired one. Second, I wanted to prove, to myself at least, that spirit vampires can be decent if they weren't enslaved to demons. My ancestors had believed it, although the Church never did. As his creator, I could have treated Therron as a slave, but I gave him complete freedom. Despite his mistakes, he's far better than any spirit vampire before him."

Eve considered everything the priest had said. Therron previously was a corpse, so his strange appearance, cold skin and breath and disintegrating feather now made sense to her. He had a rather tenuous hold on life. There was just one question left. "Why did the devil choose me? Was it - something I did?"

"I believe he chose you at random. It had nothing to do with your abortion, if that's what you mean." Father Raphael leant forward in his seat. "Don't feel too guilty about that. You were young and in a difficult position. The Church has its views, but if it was too judgmental about spirit vampires, it may also be wrong on abortion. I have no wish to judge you."

--------------------------------------------

Eve placed a new vase of flowers beside the one she reserved for her mother. Inscribed on the vase were the words "To Chris, a little angel". She stood up and contemplated the past few months.

The media extensively covered the investigation surrounding the church incident. It seemed amazing that they had not discovered the falsity of Father Raphael's tale. Then again, he had said that he would use his magic to keep everyone gullible and stop the police from arresting anybody.

"Who is Chris?"

Eve yelped and spun around. "Therron!"

He stood just two metres from her, one shoulder still wrapped in bandage. In one hand was a basket. "I had been trying to meet you ever since I left hospital," he explained, "Catherine told me that you would be here today."

"Cathy would tell anyone everything," Eve muttered. She remembered with a twinge of guilt that, despite her forgiveness, she had not found the courage to meet him. A glance at Therron's face told her why. Behind the green eyes lurked a hint of red, which somehow seemed desperate and horrified.

"What's wrong, Mrs. Goodman?"

"Please call me Eve. I - have you noticed any difference in your eyes lately?"

"Yes. I see the devil's eyes in the mirror every day. He sees everything that I see, but he has no power left and will be destroyed when I die. Now, who is Chris?"

"He, or maybe she, is a child I aborted many years ago. Perhaps I was right to do what I did, but he deserves to be remembered."

"I see. Catherine - Cathy - has told me about him too." Therron shuffled his feet and looked at his basket. "I cannot give back the baby you so desired. Please take this instead."

He lifted a lid. A white kitten popped its head out. "Oh, how adorable!" Eve held it to her chest and it began to purr, "Thanks so much, Therron."

"You're welcome, Eve," Therron smiled.

--------------------------------------------

Author's notes: Thanks to those who read and reviewed any of my chapters. I'd especially like to acknowledge Tory (Dark Palace), who encouraged me to write here and has provided a lot of support when I was writing this story.
© Copyright 2004 Ariadne (ariadne25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/914129-The-Spirit-Vampire-Chapter-Four