*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/539595-The-downside-of-reviewing
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#539595 added October 4, 2007 at 5:29pm
Restrictions: None
The downside of reviewing
You know, I feel like bitching righ now and my topic is reviewing here on WDC. First off here are two great articles by Verm

 What Not to Write  (13+)
A discussion of some things that may turn readers away from your items.
#892715 by Verm


 What Not to Write: Continued  (ASR)
The discussion continued and focusing on general writing issues.
#1000655 by Verm


I loved "What Not to Write," and I'm so glad there are others here on WDC who feel the same way. Colored font, all caps, please review, chat review, I all agree with. That is not writing.

I take my writing seriously, and I'm of the same mind that most here take their writing seriously and want to improve. I NEVER write "You're writing sucks." That is counterproductive. I ALWAYS try to give a good concise review based on certain BASIC elements an editor in the writing field. These are things that catch agents attention as well. I always write, "I might suggest," because that's helpful and honest and not too critical of someone else's writing. That said...

In Verm's item, he talks about PERSONAL WRITING. Every so often, and I agree with Verm here, you get someone who writes I write for my own personal enjoyment and don't want critism. This comes from someone who I pointed out a few or more errors. Well if that's the case - make it unrate-able and don't enter it in any contests.

Verm also talks about Ignoring your Readership. If the author ignores comments they don't agree with they lose a value tool. Again, if you don't want my opinion on how to make your piece your better, then don't enter it in any of my contests and don't make it rate-able.

Here's some recent comments I recieved to a review I gave that PEE'D me off. I suggested writing in the past tense. #1 An professional editor who saw this would immediately throw it out unless it was geared for children. Past tense is the ACCEPT writing standard. Do you see Stephen King writing in the present tense? No. How about Dan Brown? Nora Roberts. You don't.

Hell, the guy IS dying, how am I to get the same effect AFTER he DIED? Who the hell cares? It's a very PRESENT situation that expresses the fear and confusion of being IN THE MIDST of war. To be removed from that in any past tense relation makes it less suspenseful.

I don't appreciate a response to my review like this. This is rude and unprofessional.

Thanks for letting me bitch.


© Copyright 2007 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/539595-The-downside-of-reviewing