*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/541647-Taking-a-look-at-Writers-Digest-online
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#541647 added October 14, 2007 at 12:34pm
Restrictions: None
Taking a look at: Writer's Digest online
Thought I'd take a minute to talk about a great online resource for writers - Writer's Digest Online. I have a subscription to the magazine and I always find something useful in there. There are lots of great tips. One thing I think they kind of push is books on writing. Not that I mind. I don't have the time or money to take any actual formal writing classes, but reading a book about the craft is something I can do. I want to improve as a writer, and I find writer's digest offers a lot for those serious about wanting to improve. One book on my list to by is called "HOOK" and it's about hooking a reader in the first few chapters. Currently I own "The First Five Chapters,' and "Self Editing for the Fiction Writer." Two great books which offer good tips. I also have "Characters, Emotions & Viewpoint," and "Plot and Structure." If you're interested in any of these books, let me know and I'll put up a blog on them.

Writer's Digest has a great forum section. They have a general place for Tips, Advice, Introductions, Books that youv'e read, and more. Then they have a section where you can put up a story and it will be critiqued by the readership. They also sponsor a monthly flash fiction writing contest with a prompt. That's a tough contest but it will help you hone your writing.

Here's a link to the forums: http://www.writersdigest.com/mbbs/forum/category-view.asp

Here's a link to the main page: http://www.writersdigest.com/

Writer's Digest also sponsors several contests throughout the year. They are: the Annual Writing Contest, The Genre Fiction, and the Short Short Contest. The Genre Fiction is due in November so get your entries in! The Short Short contest deadline is also coming up. Yes, there are fees for their contests, the fees are minimal and winning or even an Honorable Mention is a writing credit you can use in your writing resume.

Maria Schiender blogs for Writer's Digest. It's a great way to keep up with things that are going on in the writing community. The recent focus has been on blogs itself though. You can find a gem or two there.

What I like about Writer's Digest is the contests. For me, contest writing is a great way to hone my writing skills. Word limits and deadlines are a reality. Research for contests in important. If you're used to writing entries for Writing.com contests, writing for the Writer's Digest contests aren't much different. If you get a chance, check out Writer's Digest and let me know what you think.

Steph

© Copyright 2007 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/541647-Taking-a-look-at-Writers-Digest-online