*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/542629-CHAPTER-THREE-Cynthia
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #1333882
A cinderella story with a twist.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#542629 added October 18, 2007 at 8:34pm
Restrictions: None
CHAPTER THREE: Cynthia
I could not believe the grace and beauty that Elsa exuded at the ball. Draped from head to toe in soft and delicate silver, with a kings ransom hanging around her neck and another atop her head in golden curls, she commanded the attention of the whole room. Almost immeadiatly upon our arrival, the prince asked her to dance. I was glad that she was able to accept, safe in the assurance that she was our 'cousin.' I have never seen her so sure of herself, if a little lost in purpose.

The room was shocked that the prince would dance with a young girl that had not formally been introduced to him, in fact, there were many that peeped out from behind curtains to see who she was. This was the third night of it, and I was not suprised at this. There are so many curious people among the royalty that no one can sneeze yet there is someone with a handkerchief and a ready ear to listen and a wagging tounge to speak. It is something that I have often found annoying and yet there is nothing that I can do about it.

I busied myself with small talk to other young women for most of the evening, though the talk was superficial and light, it helped take my mind of the monotony. Karen was especially talkitive tonight, for her wedding is in less that two monthes now and she is terribly nervous and excited. She is marrying the duke of yonedon, a man who is perfect in her eyes. I was getting slightly sick by the end. I suppose it is a relief though to know that you will marry. A woman's only social position comes from her husband, and if she doesn't marry then she in nothing. We are all very aware of this fact. It dominates our existance.

I almost wish that Elsa would marry Pryce. I have no interest in being princess, and the prince has always seemed a bit sneaky to me. Ours will be an arranged marriage if he cannot find someone tonight. Madame would be angry, she was countining on being intimately associated with power, but she wouldn't have to worry over that if Elsa married him. She would be the darling replacement. She is sweet, while I falll short of this characteristic.

I glanced over at where Pryce and Elsa were dancing. I saw her smile and laugh, then turn her head demurly to the side and down. i saw the jewels at her neck sparkle, and couldn't help but think these may be another part of a larger lie. But then they were hidden from my veiw as she went waltzing around the floor.

"Cynthia, darling, you haven't danced with the prince all night," a voice called, startling me with its nearness.

"Sorry, Madame, but I really have no control over it. After all, he has to ask me to dance." I shook my head, wishing I had managed not to sound petty and immature.

"Yes, of course you do." she looked put out. "Now, look available."

"What do you think that I have been doing all evening." Let her interpret that how she would. I was, of course, giving her the false impression. She, in turn, gave me a transparent look and turned away. Ah, now she might leave me alone.

My head hurt and the floor began to spin. I shook my head gently, trying to clear it, hoping that I had not taken in too much punch. Then I remembered the strawberry cake that I had eaten earlier. It had not been a smart choice, I knew my reactions to strawberries. Making my way slowly over to Madame, I softly explained to her my situation.

"Dear, how could you? After all we have worked for, to get sick on a night like this?" She whispered the rubuke under her breath, but still the hurtful words were there. Like I had meant to get sick. Well, honestly, I could have avoided it. I rolled my head from shoulder to shoulder, trying to ease the clenching of muscles in my shoulders and neck. Madame fluttered her hands, then waved across the room at Elsa.

She glowered slightly, then her facial expression smoothed out. I did not blame her for being mad at the incoveniance. I would have been too had the situations and temperments been reversed.

"Yes, Madame?" she curtsied deeply, though not deeply enough to reveal her low status. Madame didn't seem to notice the indescrepancy, in fact, I was beginning to have suspicions as to what Madame was thinking of Elsa as these days. Servant of cousin? I should not have felt resentful, but I felt the stirrings deep within me. Why was it I that had recommended this station for her? I who had 'promoted' her? I couldn't very well take it back now, it would be hypocritcal. I tried to push the feelings deep within me.

meanwhile they had been working out the details of out leaving the ball. Elsa had not ceased to look put out, it only lurked beneath the surface. I was not suprised. We left soon after the conversation ended.

It was not until we were home that Elsa remarked that she had lost one of my slippers. I was shocked. She had promised to take good care of them, they were worth more than her life work, but she just apologized to Madame and Madame waved it off. They were my slippers! She didn't even have the decency to return the other one.

Elsa forgot to clean my room for the next week, and instead spent the time humming to herself everywhere she went, most of the time in Madames company. I did my own work, like I had always been able to do if the situation called for it, but the final straw was when she sent up Kathy to do her work for her.

I had been sitting on my bed, reading a book when a scullery maid knocked on my door. "Come in," I called, expecting Madame to answer. I was suprised when it was Kathy, since servants never knocked. Knocking forced the masters or mistresses to answer.

She appeared in the doorway, nodding at me sheepishly, and began gathering up the clothes that I had left uncaracteristically streamed about the room. I let her do this for a few moments before I asked her why she was doing it. She looked up at me suprised.

"Because Elsa can't," She almost stuttered. "I have to do it for her."

"Why? Why can't she do it?"

"Well, she's your long lost cousin, is she not?"
© Copyright 2007 MariposaPen (UN: mariposapen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MariposaPen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/542629-CHAPTER-THREE-Cynthia