*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/544848-The-Hallowed-Hunt-a-review
Rated: E · Book · Opinion · #1310876
A Blog by an Author, for Authors about the Writing and Publishing fields.
#544848 added October 27, 2007 at 11:41am
Restrictions: None
'The Hallowed Hunt', a review...
         I have recently finished reading 'The Hallowed Hunt', by Lois Mcmaster Bujold. In this tale, Bujold weaves the various threads of the plot together to form an intricate pattern that echants and captivates. The characters are brought to life in a way that makes you empathise, even with the Earl Horseriver, who has his own plots in mind, and is not above killing those that get in his way.
 
         Amidst the quiet political struggle that is going on in the Weald, which could very soon come to a climax as the old Hallowed King lies in deteriating health, his death seeming imminent, his younger, have crazed son, Boleso has been slain. Ingrey kin Wolfclif, a Lord who lost land and title as a child due to an illicit act of sorcery inwhich his Father involved him as a child, is dispatched to investigate. He takes into custody the Lady Ijada, who claims self defense in her killing of Boleso, as he had taken her into his chamber for, seemingly, a similar act of sorcery, as well as rape. Through this she has had the soul of a Leopard bound into herself unwillingly, which stirs the thoughts of the wolf spirit bound in his breast for Ingrey. As the escorts the arested woman back to the capital city the preasence of another spell over Ingrey, which seeks Ijada's death, is discovered, and with the aid of a Temple Sorceress, is cast out. Once they are met on the road by Earl Ordainer, Wencel Horseriver, who hides his own dark secrets as well, the two have begun to grow close to one another, and Ingrey vows in his heart to try and save Ijada from the fate of death, which could come upon her in the form of swift justice once at the capital city.
 
         Horseriver, who at first they think may be an uneasy ally in their plight, proves to hide more than they had imagined. What is this dark secret that seems to bind Horseriver, and Ingrey, and what of the dream of long dead Spirit Warriors that Ijada speaks of, and the almost uncanny link that has forged between her and Ingrey, and what does all of this have to do with the Hallowed Kingship, and the land known as the Wounded Woods, once Holytree of the old Weald.
 
         I highly recomend this novel for any fantasy fan who loves to delve into complex and unique magic, religious, and political systems. Most definately, I will look for my by Lois Mcmaster Bujold.
 
 
Until later, Happy Writing!!
 
RD Williams
http://www.authorsden.com/robertdwilliams1

© Copyright 2007 RDWilliams (UN: rdwilliams at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RDWilliams has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/544848-The-Hallowed-Hunt-a-review