*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/547565-Gen-III-Lesson-6-Writing-Anxiety
by IdaLin
Rated: ASR · Book · Educational · #1322799
This is a home for my lessons for the A-1 Academy.
#547565 added November 7, 2007 at 7:57pm
Restrictions: None
Gen III Lesson 6: Writing Anxiety
Anxiety - - an abnormal and overwhelming sense of apprehension and fear often marked by physiological signs (as sweating, tension, and increased pulse), by doubt concerning the reality and nature of the threat, and by self-doubt about one's capacity to cope with it1

I have been asked to describe my experience with what we shall call 'Writer's Anxiety'. As writers we probably have all, at least to some degree, experienced anxiety about writing. I think the writer's anxiety is well-described by this part of the definition of anxiety: [sense of apprehension and fear often marked] by doubt concerning the reality and nature of the threat, and by self-doubt about one's capacity to cope with it. Fearing the results and/or the reactions to what we write can be daunting at best.

If we describe ourselves as writers, we are in good company, and we share many similar challenges. This is a good thing to remember when dealing with writer's anxiety. Whatever fears and doubts we have about our own work has most likely been experienced by other writers, and if we put our fears into perspective, we can be sure we are not alone or unique in our fear. A certain feeling of solidarity can go a long way in assuaging some of our fears. For me, knowing that this is just a normal setback, and has been obviously overcome by others, since we do have such things in the world as books and magazines, can help to lessen the anxiety I feel about writing.

Our fears may be based on thinking we are not writers, that we are just wasting time and effort, and may as well just hang it up and find something else to occupy our time when the anxiety monster rears its ugly head. To this I say, nothing I am doing is a waste of time if it is giving me any satisfaction, and is not something to be anxious about, but to rejoice in and enjoy. If we have a thought that can be put on paper and has meaning to us, we are writers.

The other big issue causing anxiety is what others will think about our writings. This is a big deal, as a lot of writers are writing to an audience of some sort, if it's only a family member. Admittedly, a lot of writers are aiming for a larger audience, maybe a whole community, nay, the world, but the anxiety is no less for those who have a tiny audience as for those who wish to write for the world. I write what I would enjoy reading. I consider myself a perfectly good stand-in for the proposed audience I will reach, since I have a substantial library of my own, and judging by the continued production of writings that I enjoy by others, it follows that others will probably enjoy what I write. Not everyone will like it, but that's just reality, not everyone likes me, and there's not a thing I can do about it. When we accept that not everyone will like, agree with, or understand our work, we can relax a little and let our craft take us where it, and we, want it to go.

Writer's anxiety can be a huge hurdle to leap, but it is not insurmountable. Keeping an attitude of perseverance, being true to ourselves, and being just a little bit cavalier about how our finished product is received, can go a long way toward easing anxiety. The first step is the hardest, but once it's been taken, the road opens up and we may surprise ourselves and wonder what we were so worried about anyway.

Footnotes
1  http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anxiety

© Copyright 2007 IdaLin (UN: conniefs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
IdaLin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/547565-Gen-III-Lesson-6-Writing-Anxiety