*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/547879-Whole-empty-Wallet
Rated: XGC · Book · Experience · #1034564
A new journal for a new beginning
#547879 added November 9, 2007 at 12:09am
Restrictions: None
"Whole (empty) Wallet"
On the job front, I've easily sent out 50 employment applications within and outside of the university since September and have had four interviews total. The most promising so far is a team member position in the Whole Foods bakery. hmmm... I'm beginning to think that most of the positions were posted early to gather applications for hiring after the first of the year. The holidays are such a crummy time to hire, right?

The fact I did not put my name in the hat for any research positions could have something to do with my dry spell, too. Well...I did apply for one at the behest of my friend (you remember Kirsten), and was told by the interviewer that the fact that I'd worked in 5 labs since August 2000 "didn't look good". No kidding. Honestly, I just can't bring myself to worry. I'm better prepared this time than I was 4 years ago. Unemployment isn't fun, but I know it's not fatal.

I could certainly do worse than the Whole Foods bakery. Especially since it's a night position which will make taking refresher classes at PVCC easier to manage. I'm a little worried about how I'll handle 6mo. of $350 COBRA payments and try to pay for classes while making $10/hr. My calculations say I'll have just enough. Especially irritating is that Whole Foods is telling me that they might not accomidate my Sat. shift at the coffee shop. My shift at the coffee shop ends at 3:30pm; shifts at WF start from 2-3pm. ARRRGH!!! I'll talk to the coffee shop manager tomorrow and see what we can work out. I'll need BOTH incomes to make ends meet so if they can't jibe, it's back to the drawing board.

On the school front, I caught up with one of my Geology professors from JMU. Not only did he remember me, but he remembered me fondly and said he'd be happy to write me a letter of reference. He's also a high official of the USGS. Score! Next up, the head of JMU's Environmental Science Department. Wish me luck!

© Copyright 2007 Artemismad (UN: artemismad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Artemismad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/547879-Whole-empty-Wallet