*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/548757-Family-Matters
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#548757 added May 8, 2014 at 12:48pm
Restrictions: None
Family Matters
Weekends may be very popular with children and workers, but for me they are generally tedious and hectic with very little time to call my own. All together now – ‘Awwwww Poor Scarlett.’ The past weekend was busier than ever with time spent in the company of family now ranging from age 1 to 87.

Armistice Day, or Veterans’s Day as it’s known to many, is also my parent’s wedding anniversary. As one war ended, they’d already started their own small, private one which has lasted longer than any battle I can remember from history lessons.

I did ask if either of them remembered what day it was. Dad said it was Monday and Mum thought it was Thursday, so after establishing it was actually Sunday I wasn’t sure whether to offer congratulations or commiserations on 63 years of wedded…I don’t think the word has yet been invented to describe their relationship. Quite an achievement, whatever.

Then it was home to cook dinner, where Paul, Mey Ling and Angel had arrived to join us. Nothing like a good old traditional roast beef with Yorkshire pudding (and rice) on a Sunday. Angel seems quite settled and happy in her new environment and looked really sweet in the new jacket, hat and gloves I just happened to come across while shopping on Saturday. Well, it is cold here compared to Cambodia you know.

She also really liked the toy telephone I just happened to bump into while picking up a few bits for the wrinklies. Well, she will need encouragement to speak English after a first year of hearing only Khmer won’t she?

Anyway, here she is modelling this season’s off the shoulder look. Say hello to the little Angel we never could have imagined would come into our family. Life certainly throws in the unexpected amongst the humdrum.









© Copyright 2014 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/548757-Family-Matters