*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/551163-Bought-Nothing-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#551163 added November 23, 2007 at 8:39pm
Restrictions: None
Bought Nothing Day
I just can't bring myself to participate in the orgy of consumerism that fuels this Day After Thanksgiving. They say they call it Black Friday because it's the day retailers go "into the black," or start actually making money.

I suppose it should be my patriotic capitalistic duty to exchange cash for stash; to blow bucks on consumer items for myself and all my friends.

Well, fuck that.

I didn't even buy anything online today.

What I did do was have friends over for a feast. It started a bit late, but I kind of expected that. Of course, everything was purchased beforehand, so I suppose we just rearranged the spending. Well, actually, Kirstin bought something today, but as long as it wasn't me, I consider it a success.

I hate shopping, anyway. I get what I call retail anxiety - that feeling when you walk into a retail store and watch rapt shoppers in an ecstasy of excess. They call it retail therapy. I call it hell.

On the other hand, today is the day that I officially no longer resent holiday decorations and piped-in music. Before Thanksgiving it's annoying and makes me stabby. Afterward, it's just one more thing to put up with.

Just don't get me near the one Salvation Army busker on the Downtown Mall who insists on singing Christmas carols - with the wrong words and off-key.

© Copyright 2007 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/551163-Bought-Nothing-Day