*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/556314-The-Blank-Page-Genesis-III-lesson-11--12
by IdaLin
Rated: ASR · Book · Educational · #1322799
This is a home for my lessons for the A-1 Academy.
#556314 added December 23, 2007 at 4:41pm
Restrictions: None
The Blank Page: Genesis III lesson 11 & 12
Write a summarizing sentence that shows what point you are trying to make in your narrative. (Know the message you want to convey to the reader)

Sometimes it's difficult to write something useful.

Write out a list of questions: What happened? -- And why, when and where did it happen?

What happened? I procrastinated, I was interrupted, I was a slug.

Set up a chronological time line.

Past week

List all the incidents you want to include.

car died, husband a pain, dogs, mood

List the characters and some points of interest/descriptions relating to them.

husband: bipolar who doesn't get my writing, dogs: want attention, myself: procrastinator, frustrated, anxious


DRAFT Lesson 11

I am finding it difficult, or nearly impossible to get my writing done these last few weeks. I am embattled by a husband who does not understand what I am doing on the computer for hours on end, a pair of dogs that only care that I am paying attention to them and my own anxiety about everything that is happening like a rockslide around me.

My husband has no concept of what I do on WDC. He thinks I'm off talking to someone across the country who I have intentions of running off to some secluded island and marrying. To be fair, some of the time I spend online is not being used for writing, but for entertainment or socialization, but not plans for any secret rendezvous, alas.

On Saturday he said, "You're coming to bed to watch TV, tonight with me?"

I said, "Um, I have some stuff I need to write."

"You're on that computer all the time. Come to bed."

"Okay, I can get it done tomorrow."

The next morning I get up intending to get down to work and do some serious writing and editing of some stories that need some polish. This is not meant to be. Every time I try to move my mouse to scroll the screen, it is bumped by a yellow snout with a black nose. My dog, Timber, is feeling neglected and wants me to pet her, and of course, the other one, Ivory, is right behind her. Neither of them are that I have lessons to complete, or stories to get ready for submission to a magazine. They only care that "Mom" is sitting still and ignoring them; this must not be.

So with disruptions and dissension, I lose my momentum and my work comes to a standstill. I am such a wonderful procrastinator anyway, so it is the easiest thing for me to put my writing off another day or two. The untimely death of my car, my raging hormones and my ever-present anxiety about my cash flow perching on the edge of my desk waiting for me to let my guard down so it can peck out an eyeball definitly don't help matters.

Finally, I am able to get myself focused, and I write this draft. Next I will write the final narrative. This will all be done in the same sitting, within the space of an hour or so, but it will be done. The blank page can be daunting and intimidating, but yes, it can be overcome. But it isn't easy.


Final Assignment: Lesson 12

I found it nearly impossible to get my writing done this past week. I am embattled by a husband who does not understand what I do on the computer for hours on end, a pair of dogs that only care that I am not paying attention to them, and my own anxiety about everything that happens like a rockslide around me.

My husband has no concept of what I do on WDC. He thinks I'm off talking to someone who I have intentions to marry on a secluded island. To be fair, some time I spend online is for entertainment or socialization, but not plans for a secret rendezvous, alas.

On Saturday, he said, "You're coming to bed to watch TV with me tonight, aren't you?"

I said, "Um, I have some stuff I need to write." I know this may cause an argument, or pouting.

"You're on that computer all the time. Come on to bed."

"Okay, I can get it done tomorrow." I give in and avoid hard feelings.

The next morning I get up and intend to do some serious writing and editing of some stories that need polish. This is not meant to be. Every time I try to move my mouse to scroll the screen, it is bumped by a yellow snout with a black nose. My dog, Timber, is feeling neglected and wants me to pet her, and of course, the other one, Ivory, is right behind her. Neither of them care that I have lessons to complete, or stories to get ready for submission to a magazine. They only care that "Mom" is sitting still and ignoring them; this must not be.

So with disruptions and dissension, I lose my momentum, and my work comes to a standstill. I am such a wonderful procrastinator anyway, so it is easy for me to put my writing off another day or two. The untimely death of my car, my raging hormones and my ever-present anxiety about my cash flow that perches on the edge of my desk waiting for me to let my guard down so it can peck out an eyeball definitely don't help matters.

Finally, I am able to get myself focused, and I write a draft, then I finish the final narrative. This is completed within the space of an hour or so, but it is done. The blank page can be daunting and intimidating, but yes, it can be overcome. But it is rarely easy.

IdaLin
© Copyright 2007 IdaLin (UN: conniefs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
IdaLin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/556314-The-Blank-Page-Genesis-III-lesson-11--12