*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/556498-Man-I-dropped-the-ball-on-that-one
Rated: 18+ · Book · None · #488496
Only rule you must follow if you know me: You can't get mad at me for what I write.
#556498 added December 21, 2007 at 7:51pm
Restrictions: None
Man, I dropped the ball on that one...
The time is 2:45pm. I'm putting up a tote of skincare in aisle 19. Terri is talking to me about...something, I don't really listen to her that much. I have some Goldbond Powder in my hands, so I walk over to the next aisle to put it on the shelf, not pricing it of course. Not since Gino told me to pick up the pace.

As I turn the corner to look at the shaving display, there a man there. Nothing too unusual besides his choice of razor blade packs he's taking out of the display. Not the quality, but the quanity. He had a bag that was bulging out the sides full of Mach 3 and Fusion razors! He notices me when I walk around and starts walking away. Me, frozen in panic, had no idea what to do. I've just witnessed someone taking razors and they are clearly not heading to the Service Desk to do an exchange.

In a feeble attempt, I shout out, "Hey!" He doesn't look back, but quickens his pace to the door. I start to follow him and when I get to the door, he's already in his truck. (GMC Sierra, Tan in color. License plate: 64MB18) That's when I was finally able to have my brain work. As he was driving away, I wrote down his information. The store detective showed up to punch in a little bit later, and that's when we rewound the tapes to see him leaving the store and I gave him the information.

Even though I'm pretty sure I followed protocol in an event like that, I feel like an idiot. I've always told people if anyone tried to steal from my department, I'd bring them down. And when I'm playing to win, I might not be able to beat you, but I can slow you down to a dead stop. I don't know why I didn't jump onto him and try to choke him out. I don't know why I didn't try and trip him and kick him in the balls. I just felt so powerless standing there as he walked by me. I hate that feeling. I'd give anything to go back to that moment right now. Live it like a hero. Company policy is against playing the hero, but why do they have to make the hero so cool then?

© Copyright 2007 MajikRobot (UN: majikrobot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MajikRobot has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/556498-Man-I-dropped-the-ball-on-that-one