*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558580-Rainmaker-Prologue
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1369539
Three friends find their kingdom's fall testing them in strange ways.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#558580 added January 3, 2008 at 1:05am
Restrictions: None
Rainmaker (Prologue)
It was raining.

That's what they told themselves. It was raining, and they just didn't feel like covering their faces. That's what the liquid falling down their faces was. So what if the sun was shining? So what if the rest of the world was dry? They knew the rain when they felt it sliding down their cheeks, leaving salty trails on their skin.

Their lives had come a long way since they had come of age. They had seen great things, and been a part of them. They had come a long way together, and had always managed to find each other again, even when forced apart by fate, duty, or love.

One of them would go no farther. One would remain here, beneath the stone set in the ground.

The two young men watched the stone silently, their eyes tracing the name on it in silence, studying and memorizing the cracks in the stone's surface and seeing the cracks in their own worlds mirrored in them.

One of them finally speaks up, his voice hoarse and quiet. "How did this happen? We haven't been involved in this long enough for anything like this. We weren't ready for any of this. How did we get to this point?"

The other raises his head, the raindrops falling from his cheeks the only ones to fall at all. "I remember how, and will never forget..."

The two stood there for a long time after that, the sun quickly drying up the rain falling from their faces.

© Copyright 2008 Ascetic of Words (UN: bnelms at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ascetic of Words has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558580-Rainmaker-Prologue