*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/567148-Vermicide-Chapter-One
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1369539
Three friends find their kingdom's fall testing them in strange ways.
#567148 added February 12, 2008 at 3:34pm
Restrictions: None
Vermicide (Chapter One)
Kellen looked out across the city with a surge of pride. Vartha, center of Ganlon and seat of the throne! He'd never seen such a glorious sight in his life. The afternoon sun struck the brilliant white stone walls at just the right angle to make them shine with a welcoming glow. The light of those walls was rumored to reveal the honor of any heart that looked upon it; the Knights always knelt before passing through them. Such lofty ideals...

"Don't look so serious Kell. It's still just a city, and it is about to get re-built from the ground up!"

Kellen felt a familiar, strong hand tousle his blue-black hair as Trayl sauntered past him. The eighteen year old was tall, which caused many to underestimate his deceptively thin arms. His long, brilliant blond hair blew in the wind as brightly as the white banners atop the walls of the great city. Kell couldn't see them, but he knew his friend's baby blue eyes had as much excitement in them as his own bright green ones.

He turned to face his other companion, the short youth looking over the capitol silently. Dirian’s sharp features and expressionless gaze had not made him many friends, but his courage and skill had done far more than appearances ever could.

The shorter man’s voice was quiet and smooth, his words as carefully chosen as always. “We must be careful, Trayl. We can only return the ideals this city once espoused if we are paragons of them ourselves.”

Kellen’s nod of agreement grabbed the attention of both of his companions as he took a step forward, letting his cloak billow out behind him, a banner as proud as any on the battlements.

“This place was spoken of with honor, justice, and glory not so terribly long ago. We may not know why yet, but those virtues have long since fled from these once-glorious walls. The knights are only soldiers now. The soldiers are barely more than thugs. The nobles are anything but. It is time for these wrongs to be righted. It is our time.”

Trayl’s smile grew wider with each word, ending the speech with a fist in the air. Dirian did not smile, as sorrowful for the loss of virtue as he was happy for the eventual return of it by their hands. His own fist raised far less high into the air, but just as firmly. Kellen didn’t even turn around, not needing to look to see his friends’ raised arms, and raised his own.

“Put enough fists in the air, and anyone can be made to listen. Put the right fists in the air and everyone will be made to understand.”

The three lowered their arms in unison before striding forward, towards their future. Towards Vartha.


© Copyright 2008 Ascetic of Words (UN: bnelms at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ascetic of Words has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/567148-Vermicide-Chapter-One