*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558873-Chapter-XI
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #944515
Three colleagues make a perilous journey which brings real life and legend hand in hand.
#558873 added January 4, 2008 at 11:17am
Restrictions: None
Chapter XI
Valia raced over the desert, gone from Karish’s sight in moments. Knowing time was what she didn’t have, Gray Ghost looked almost riderless as she formed herself to his neck and back. The Gray Mountains lay to her right, her homeland a three-day ride just past the mountains into the Wild Wood. She felt blackness everywhere in her mind, like a cat cornering a mouse with nowhere to escape. It wasn’t infringing any further into her conscience but it was growing darker and thicker, almost like syrup in winter when she could barely pour it from the bottle. Her body had stopped shivering only a short while ago, probably due to the extreme heat being given off by the sun and then reflected back up by the sand.

Valia’s mind whittled away at the upcoming challenge of getting her people to help the human race. Her people years ago had separated themselves from the human population due to humans’ barbaric and destructive nature. They war on each other and all those around them with total disregard for life. Trees are cut for wood, homes, heat; ground is torn up for crops and grazing animals; water is dammed up; swamps are drained; and water is polluted by flocks. Humans had almost destroyed her population through their carelessness. Her people had never forgiven them. She was here only because her parents still believed in the human population and believed if they blended in and supported the city council in making the right decision, humans would learn what right looks like and they would continue to advance towards preservation versus the alternative destructive mode they were so prone to digress to.

Her family was not intricately involved with the changeling governing body, but they were influential; Valia herself was influential. She would talk to Barraha, the associate to the head of the governing body. The man had been almost like a father to her when she was still living as one with her people.

The evening sped by like sand under her mount’s hooves, mountains flashed in her peripheral vision, a ridge, a valley, and then a cliff. She had ample time to reach her location, accomplish her mission and meet back up with Karish and Saeran at the Cross Roads Inn. But the other type of time she had very little of, the black infringement on her senses informed her that the creatures were moving out and that alone was worth putting the spur forth despite the alternate time line.

Her people were few and far between in this day and age, the only magic left in the world. Fairies and elves had long since departed for another plane of existence, something humans would never be able to fathom or understand completely.

With the departure of those two races, the capability to perform magic and healing had departed, leaving only one species with inherent magical capabilities. Changelings lived peacefully within the far reaches of Wild Wood only.

Then she felt it, a black tendril moving slowly from the periphery of her mind towards the core of light she knew as her aura and life. She showed this to Paladine. In response he doubled his speed, flashing back a picture of his own indicating a creature being left behind, in essence eating his dust. She was comforted by his spirit and confidence. She needed a little of her own now. But the tendril kept moving closer, persistent in its intent to reach her mind and suffocate her in its thick, black gooey form. It was too close, they needed to flee faster or fight before they were too tired to do either.

Valia trembled violently, her body clammy in the heat, face pale, breath coming in rasps as the black encroached a little closer. It’s hunting us, she thought, horrified, forming herself closer to Gray Ghost, listening to his body, still capable of more speed if she just asked. It was moving closer at a tremendous speed. She turned her head all the way around, searching for the source; nothing, it was like a shadow in the night, invisible.

Gray Ghost sensed it and picked up speed without verbal command, understanding that if it caught them, they would fight to the death, probably their own. Valia heard it first, a raspy sound like ragged breathing, low at first increasing in audible increments. It was moving fast. They would not be able to outrun it. It moved directly behind her, elongated large black head raised, red eyes flaming in the dark, short spikes running the length of its body, razor sharp and glittering in the moonlight. The creature looked at her, its mouth splitting into a sickening grin of ragged black teeth, saliva flowing profusely from its mouth with every loping stride.

It was half the size of Gray Ghost, long, stringy black hair sticking off its body in patches, muscular chest and legs pumping relentlessly towards her, four strides, two. NOW, she screamed into Gray Ghost’s mind. She and Gray Ghost fused into one. Their supplies dropped off his body like rain, reforming into a large cat-like creature standing erect on two legs, teeth wickedly long, large muscular arms supporting two large clawed hands pulled back ready to strike, legs crouched low, protecting vital organs, leathery wings folded flat against its back. The creature stopped in its tracks, unsure. Its previous prey had smelled and looked like a horse and human, this thing looked nothing of the sort. Even though the smell was still there, he was infuriated beyond caring; he had been trapped in that temple too long to care.

Hatred flashed like lightening in the creature’s eyes. He backed up, waiting for the chance to take the first strike, mind burning with anticipation of the kill. He would destroy all these miserable creatures, not just the humans that his mistress held so much distaste for.

They circled. The creature feinted, claws extended, looking for tendon and muscle, VaG, as Valia so fondly thought of herself when transformed, moved back a step in anticipation of a stronger strike, bringing her right clawed hand back for a block then counter strike. She feinted forward, the creature retreating in like. It was smart enough to know that a strike from something this big was dangerous, but was it smart enough to utilize tactics and techniques against something that may easily be as powerful as it was. It bothered her that she would probably find out the hard way.

Circling, it lunged, claws swiping high towards her lifeblood. She countered the strike, bringing her own clawed hand raking high across its shoulder, black blood spurting from the wound. The creature, not even phased by the wound, flung itself in a frenzy towards her, teeth bared. Stepping quickly aside, she batted the creature down with a large blow from her shoulder, claws raking the side of its head and leaving clean slice marks through the leathery hide. Blood flowed freely down its face.

The creature skidded out into the desert, back on its feet in moments but not moving towards her with reckless disregard anymore. It was finished testing her. VaG felt a slight burn down her right shoulder. The creature’s teeth had met her skin lightly, leaving only a shallow skin wound. The creature continued to circle, switching direction every third or fourth circle. VaG watched its haunches intently, waiting for it to portray its intentions through its body movements. Then it rushed, low to the ground, snapping with its teeth. VaG pulled back involuntarily, leaving her leg wide open. It swiped, catching her calf and slicing deep into the meat. Blood poured onto the ground. She gasped, bringing her claws back around, catching the creature’s neck in her inhumanly strong grasp. Throwing her weight into the arm then twisting its neck around, she hurled the creature away, watching it tumble off into the desert. She was in pain, lifeblood slowly flowing onto the pristine tan desert ground like a watermark on a canvas moving outward.

The creature returned quickly, an apathetic smile returning. He could smell success. They were going nowhere fast. It was only one good strike for another, but the creature wasn’t tiring, the wounds not even phasing it. On the other hand, she was tired, sore, and losing a lot of blood, her head feeling ever so light. She needed to make the decisive blow now and kill it for good or flee, which was the reason she was here in the first place.

Body trembling, the creature approached, thick, gooey blood oozing down the side of its body, bloodlust mirrored in its stance. Lightning quick, it struck at her leg again, blocking the first thrust of its paw while the rest of its body barreled into her chest. Crashing to the ground, she proceeded to grapple with the creature on the ground, left then right, trying to avoid razor sharp rear claws. Clutching the creature’s throat, she shoved it away to avoid its razor sharp teeth grinding inches from her face. Slowly she closed her hand around its throat, crushing its windpipe. It whimpered, struggling a moment longer then going limp in her arms. Her blood and the creature’s were smeared all over her body.

Rolling onto her knees, head spinning, she was losing blood quickly through numerous gashes and cuts. She needed to get to help. She would not make it if she selected to travel by ground means through the rest of the Sharak into the Gray Mountains and ultimately the far side of Wild Wood, two and a half more days of travel. She picked herself up gingerly, backtracking to her personal items scattered across the desert floor in her need to transform into something capable of protecting itself quickly.

Picking up her overhead cover, she effortlessly proceeded to shred the cloth into usable bandage strips till she could locate a doctor to perform the necessary stitching to stem the flow of blood coming from her leg and arm. Gingerly wrapping her wounds, she grabbed her items in her good hand, keeping her bad arm close to her body for protection. Crouching low to the sand, she launched herself straight up, wings snapping open at the last second to catch a gust of brisk wind.

VaG could see for miles in all directions and all she saw was small black objects moving faster than any horse could possibly run spread out across the desert floor for as far as the eye could see. This is not good, she thought as she concentrated on utilizing the wind currents to save her energy as she flew north mirroring the mountainside surface.

Face grimacing with the effort to stay in the air and conscious, soaked bandages barely stemming the flow of blood, she pushed herself on. She only had to do this for half a day and she would be home.

The hours rolled on, the first one bearable, the second one creating a fine sheen of sweat on her body, head pounding, eyes hurting from the effort of scanning ahead of herself. The ground changed like a candle being lit, almost instantaneously. Scrub brush spread for miles from the base of black-edged mountains, then suddenly only mountains, cool air refreshing against her skin. Her head pounded unbearably, with only the need to stay airborne for just a while longer, just till the edge of the next mountaintop, the next cliff edge, making a game out of necessity. Her eyes blurred agonizingly, wings pumped methodically, agonizingly. Her energy was leaving in droves. She couldn’t feel her legs anymore. Her back stung like she had landed in a hornet’s nest. The pain was now her only link to reality. Sleep concentrated on the edge of her mind, trying to lure her into relaxing just once, singing to her like a mother’s lullaby. The mountains flowed under her quickly, suddenly disappearing in a flurry of trees rushing towards her. Reaching up, trying to pull her down, her sight darkened till the only thing she saw was her mother’s arms reaching for her, lightly catching her and setting her down gently in her own bed.

Valia gasped, shooting straight up, her mind a nightmare of creatures attacking her from every direction at once. She had tried to fight but was never strong enough to kill them all; watching herself die time after time. Sweat drenched her nightgown. She looked down quickly at her body. When did I put clothing on, she wondered.

The nightmare fled her memory as the early morning sun illuminated the room through the window next to the bed. The door creaked. Her head swiveled around to look intently as the head of an old man smiled at her from around the edge of the door.

“Barraha,” Valia exclaimed, shoving aside her blanket and trying to untangle her feet in order to jump down and run to her good friend.

“Stay there, young lady,” he said sternly, looking at her, concern etched into his now wrinkled face. “You do not want to know what condition we found you in. We thought you were already dead,” shaking his head in disbelief.

“You have to help me,” she pleaded, slight panic echoing in her voice, “evil creatures of magic roam the earth again, their only desire to destroy.” She stopped a second, glancing down guiltily at her own bandaged form. “How long have I been here?”

“Three days, fever, bleeding, nightmares. Valia, what happened?”

“The temple in Sharak found by the Toubot Clan contains something evil and it’s just been released. You should be able to feel it in your mind even from here. On top of that, it also holds a book that I imagine contains an immense amount of the old magic. Saeran went to retrieve the book, Karish to warn the towns west of Wild Wood, and my job was to secure your help.” Valia poured forth the story of her fight, Barraha listening intently, nodding his understanding.

“We need to talk to the council. Are you up to moving around a little? I also need time to visit our library and see what I can find out about this temple you talk about.”

Valia edged out of bed now, feeling the full extent of her wounds. Stepping out, she gingerly put weight on her leg, suddenly clutching Barraha’s arm as she went down. Her leg couldn’t handle the pressure. Grabbing her around the waist, they departed the airy room for the council chambers down the hall.

The council had been in session for two and a half days now, debating the buildup of evil south. They had felt the earth’s pain, felt the feather light touch of black within their minds. They knew the earth’s powers were becoming unbalanced.

She ran her hands through her hair, completely disheveled, she leaned against the wall outside the council chambers. Her friend was inside even now talking to the council, requesting their time. They would need it to plead their case. Closing her eyes momentarily, tired still, dozing just a moment until he came out to grab her for her presentation. Jumping, startled out of her gown, Barraha was standing next to her holding her arm again, concern mirrored in his troubled smile, “You ready for this,” he asked.

“I don’t have the time to get ready,” she stated resolutely. “They need to know what is coming and they need to work the solution quickly.”

“Come then, valorous young lady,” gently cupping her elbow in his hand, he lead her toward the door and the council waiting eagerly inside.

“Honorable Council, Valia comes before you to speak of trouble brewing in the South and to enlist the help of the council to help fight back and preserve the human population, notwithstanding preservation of our own.” Bowing low, he stepped back, waiting for the council to respond.

“Proceed, Valia, you have the ear of the council. What dangers do you perceive our people and the races to be in,” Haleum inquired with a slight nod. He was the head of the council with eight other members, four sitting to each side of the table.

Valia told the story from the beginning to end, leaving no detail uncovered, looking at each council member in turn. Worry slowly etched itself into Haleum’s features as he acknowledged Valia’s rendition of the story. Valia, breathless hours later, after having relived her fight with the creature to the council and finally begging them for their support for the human race, was grateful for Barraha’s support on her arm the whole time.

“Valia, you have done the council a great service by coming here and warning us of the impending danger making its way towards our borders. First, we plan for defenses here, and then we will decide if we have the assets to support others in their fight, even the human race so bent on destroying each other and everyone else. You may go. We will call you when we have made a decision,” Haleum concluded as he stood, bowing with a sudden finality. He turned and walked out of the room, eight bodies shadowing him.

“But,” she stuttered, stunned at the outcome. “They were supposed to help,” she wept into Barraha’s arms as he held her gently, one hand caressing her head gently.

“It will work out for the good of all in the end. Give them the time to debate on what is best.” Barraha, still cupping her elbow, lead her back out the door to her room, knowing she still needed a lot more sleep. Laying her down into her bed, “Relax. Are you hungry,” he smiled, offering her a piece of fresh fruit sitting next to her bed.

“No,” she pouted, upset that it had not gone the way she had expected. Snatching the fruit from his hand and ramming it into her mouth, she swallowed it in one gulp. She leaned back, yawning, feeling very tired. She hadn’t done anything, why was she so tired. Her eyes fluttered. Barraha smiled, watching her fall asleep. He knew she needed it.

Standing, he departed the way he had come; his work just starting. First the library, he needed to find out more about that temple and its purpose. Next, homeland security. They had already lost a couple of their border guards from a small number of those creatures trying to make their way through the forest. Their magic had given them advance warning of their arrival, the fight set up to their advantage, yet the creatures had killed mercilessly before succumbing to severe wounds.

Robes rustling around him, as Barraha worked his way through the building, and out the door to the library complex, where bound volumes protected by magic of old were held. Entering the library, fresh air flowed through the hall. Proceeding to the historical section, he snatched up “The Dawn of Twilights Past” and proceeded to read. The book was thick. He would need time, and of course, time is what he didn’t have. Sitting down, he flipped the cover open, fingers caressing the intricately designed smooth leather cover and the fine sheaths of papyrus paper layered in flowing script inside. He began reading about the creator and the introduction of life to his world.

© Copyright 2008 Green Dragon (UN: jeanettebarnes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Green Dragon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558873-Chapter-XI