*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558874-Chapter-XII
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #944515
Three colleagues make a perilous journey which brings real life and legend hand in hand.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#558874 added January 4, 2008 at 11:26am
Restrictions: None
Chapter XII
Arad and Dar were geared up and waiting for Karish to take the lead. Their duties would be complete in half a day’s ride, good money in their pocket. The wagon horses chewed relentlessly on their bits, ready to move, energy radiating from their stamping legs. Karish clicked lightly, applying heel to side. Whispering Wind turned and headed out at a trot towards Wanderer’s Path. Karish kept her eyes peeled for any trouble; the wagon rumbled quietly behind her. Troubled thoughts pushed their way into her mind. Were Valia and Saeran okay, how was she going to tell a town they were in trouble when no one had seen trouble in years? War had not been waged between towns for centuries. Thieves and cutthroats were only found in the most desolate of places. Even wolves that attacked the farmers’ sheep for food in the winter were no longer a problem. Now she was going to try to convince them that they needed to pull together an army to protect themselves and help a group of people they knew nothing of. “Great,” is all she said under her breath, thinking about the futility of it all.

The morning moved into afternoon, the trip quiet, only the horses snorting to each other and the wagon creaking in the midmorning heat. Sun flickered between leaves, leaving a shadow of life under its hand. Karish motioned for them to pull over. Time to give the horses a break and take their afternoon meal. Dismounting, she pulled a small bag of specialty items with her. She left Whispering Wind untied, knowing she wouldn’t go anywhere without her.

She found a shadowed patch of grass and indicated that Dar and Arad should come join her. With a quick word, Dar informed his brother to grab a bag of dried meat from the wagon and come. Karish was already relaxing in the soft, supple green grass at the side of the trail.

The meal was consumed. The two men eating more than their fair share of fruit, nuts, and meat; Karish nibbling idly on the items, mind preoccupied with her upcoming tasks and feeling a sense of urgency that had not been there an hour ago. She looked up. The sun was a fleeting shadow in the sky; birds were making raucous noise in the canopy. She rose and grabbed her items. The men, given their command to prepare to depart voicelessly through her actions, resumed their travels down the trail, moving only as fast as the wagon horses could trot, harnesses jingling in rhythm to each hoof beat.

An hour later Karish silently scanned the quiet forest, as it had been for most of the day. She could almost smell home, the bread stand, the fresh fruit pies, baked cheese on bread, freshly picked vegetables, and the list goes on. The wagon horses snorted anxiously to each other. Whispering Wind tossed her head in response. It was the only warning Karish and the men received before two huge black forms appeared out of the forest, slamming into the first wagon horse, almost taking it off its feet.

Dar, withdrawing an impressive array of throwing knives, flung them one by one into the side of the first beast. Arad, whistling shrilly, slapped reins into hide. Both horses barreled into a mindless run through the forest, down the trail. Karish and Whispering Wind, only steps in front of the wagon, sidestepped to keep from becoming entangled with horse and strap as the wagon moved up next to her. One of the creatures removed knives from its shoulder with its sharp teeth, the other loped into a ground-eating stride after the wagon, horses, and escorts.

“MOVE,” she screamed at Arad as she slammed a strap into the haunch of the horse closest to her, motivating it to run faster. Dar continued to pull knives out at an amazing speed, throwing them with deadly accuracy at the creature moving up on the wagon. Each knife slowed it only seconds before it flung itself back into ground-eating strides. The second creature caught up to the first, blood oozing from wounds on each side, bloodlust mirrored in its flashing crimson eyes. Its forked tongue lolled out the side of its elongated mouth, breath harsh in the warm afternoon breeze.

Karish whipped her knife out, prepared for hand to hand, as one of the creatures pulled up past the wagon to Whispering Wind’s hind quarters near the lead wagon horse. Karish signaled her horse to attack. Whispering Wind dropped both front legs deep into the earth, dirt and rock flying in every direction, slowing enough to coil her legs under her and flinging them out with deadly accuracy, slamming into the creature’s head like a hammer, blood and brains splattering in every direction as the creature crumbled to the ground.

Arad, out of knives, pulled his last dagger from his back, leaped straight out the backside of the wagon onto the shoulders of the second creature, throwing both himself and the creature into a headlong tumble backwards while simultaneously slashing violently into its head and sides. Arad, horses and wagon barreled wildly down the trail, leaving Dar and Karish behind to battle the last creature. Karish flipped her knife professionally from one hand to the next and motioned Dar to mount behind her. The creature picked itself up off the ground. Blood pouring out the side of its neck, it turned and relocated its prey. Anger keeping it on its feet, death mirrored in its stance, it lunged. Dar expertly spun, bringing the knife under the creature’s neck, almost slicing its head from its shoulders. He turned and bound up behind Karish, Whispering Wind taking off instantly, flying down the path, never looking back.

The wagon horses, too tired to continue, dropped to a trot, sides bellowing, nostrils flaring, covered in a fine sheen of sweat and foam. Arad worked their heads, finally bringing them to a halt. Nothing was behind him as Wanderer’s Path appeared ahead. He would wait for the other two. Moments later Whispering Wind, Dar and Karish trotted up to the wagon, relief written all over their faces. Beyond a slight scratch Dar had received while tumbling headlong out the back of the wagon, they were in relatively good condition despite the situation.

“This is more serious than I thought, ” Karish said, pulling up Whispering Wind while Dar dismounted. “Things are moving a little too quick for my taste, I may need you two after these,” pointing to the items in the wagon, “are dropped of.”

Motioning for them to follow, slowing her horse in order to continue their conversation, she knew they had to move and plan simultaneously. “I need your services after these are gone. This town and those in it are clueless and untrained in the art of protection and fighting. They will need your help. I can offer you a fair exchange for your services, half payment now, half if you live,” she stated dead seriously.

Arad and Dar turned away momentarily, talking quietly in their own language. Turning back, Dar grinned from ear to ear, nodding his affirmation. Arad looked smug at the prospect of a little action. They had no family to welcome them home, so if they extended their stay a little longer, it really wouldn’t matter. Clicking to the horses, Arad had them moving into a gallop towards town, Karish leading the way.

They flew into town. The streets were quiet for the evening. Families were inside eating the late afternoon meal. A dog barked from a window. The wagon rolled through the gate to Karish’s house. Dismounting quickly, motioning for Dar and Arad to be patient while she got things rolling, she moved through the house, silently running into Bo halfway down the hall to her parents’ reading room.

“Bo, you old dog,” Karish laughed, ruffling the hair on his head all the way down the hall as he kept pace with her hand. Her parents were exactly where she thought they would be. She unceremoniously plowed through the door into their room, planting herself at the entrance, hands on hips in front of her parents.

“We have a problem,” Karish blurted out to her parents, both astounded at their disheveled daughter wearing clothing that had been torn and soiled from her episode earlier that day, face filthy almost beyond recognition. Both were up and moving towards her, inquiries hanging on their lips like milk on a baby’s after a bottle, “Hold that thought,” Karish yelled back as she trekked back out the study door, remembering that Dar and Arad needed to be taken care of.

She ran into the helpers’ quarters. Half a dozen men of varying ages were playing cards, relaxing or mock fighting. Instantly they stopped in their tracks to stare at Karish as she callously barged in, “It’s time to move. The wagons are out front. Bring in the two men and take care of them. I will return with further guidance when that has been completed.”

Turning on her heel, she headed back to her astounded parents, still absolutely clueless as to what was happening with their normally composed daughter. “Two Soklim attacked us at the edge of the forest down Wanderer’s Path.” Karish stated excitedly.

Her father grabbed her arm, pulling her closer. “What did you say,” he breathed out harshly, looking intently at her face. “Tell me everything, quickly.”

In record time, Karish related the story of the danger approaching from the East and the preparation the town would have to start now if they expected to be able to protect themselves. Lastly, telling her father of Dar and Arad, her escorts, skilled fighters hired by herself for an additional job of supporting the town with those skills.

“Lastly, I need to warn Kalil and Mount of the impending danger, then I need to meet back up with Saeran and Valia at the Crossroads Inn three days from now. I can stay here only long enough to talk to the council, sleep a few hours and pack a small travel bag for the trip to Kalil,” she finished.

“I will wake the governing body. How soon will you be prepared to speak?”

“Give me an hour.”

“Take care of yourself right now. Eat and clean up, I will come for you when they have been assembled,” her father continued in a paternal manner, patting her on the back and shoving her back out the door, causing her to stumble over Bo on her way out. Crystal, on top of things as usual, had the food laid out on a plate waiting for her. She was already preparing Karish’s travel pack for her departure in the early morning.

“Miss, slow down!” Crystal yelled from across the room, hovering over a ham hock cooked the previous evening, the slightly smoked aroma lingering in the kitchen.

“Yes, Crystal,” she mumbled, mouth full of cheese and meat, followed by a chaser. Her fingers grabbed for another piece before the last one washed its way down her throat. Finished, not a scrap left on the plate, Karish headed out the door. A bath drawn by Crystal awaited her sore and aching body, and she relished the smooth warm caress of water over soft skin like a lover’s hand. Dar and Arad were having a similar life-enlightening experience several rooms down in their own bath.

Her father knocked in what seemed like only moments after she had dressed in clean leather breeches, soft loose cotton shirt, hair braided down her back. Calf-length boots shuffled lightly on the floor as she crossed the room to let her father in. “Ready,” she said, following him back down the steps and through the house and out the back to a two-seat coach pulled by a single mount, the driver holding the small door on the side open for the two. Settled in, the driver cracked the whip. The coach jumped into motion to the City’s hall of governing bodies.

Karish rehearsed everything she was going to say to them in her mind. Reaching the hall located in the middle of town several minutes later, they dismounted. Informing the driver to sit and wait, they entered a simple hall of wood and stone, one of the first buildings built in the town to support those supporting the town, its governing body. The town would never be able to escape its simple beginnings just by this building alone. The governing body was five very simple men, elected by the people, the eldest sitting in a high-backed chair, prominently portrayed in the middle up front.

“Mr. Petry, we have been assembled at this late hour by your request. We trust that this is very important,” the mayor said gruffly, rubbing sleep from his eyes, ”You may proceed.”

“Mayor, my daughter and her two escorts were attacked by two Soklim in Wild Wood a couple of hours ago,” he looked at Karish to continue where he had finished.

“Good Sirs, unstoppable beasts come this way from our own forest and from far-off lands. I’m unsure of their number, but I know for sure that this town will be overrun and all in it killed if the town does not set up its defenses immediately. The Temple in Sharak will become our single biggest problem if we cannot also help eradicate the evil from the Toubot Clan’s land and the temple where the creatures come from. I have hired two men capable of supporting this town, if you so desire their services, but you must act now!” She finished pleading her case, tired for having to relive her ordeal all over again.

“If what you say is true, that you were attacked by Soklim, then the disturbing rumors we have heard over the last moon are becoming reality. Your family is prominent and well liked, so I will believe this information is not put before the council in farce. Despite the fact most rumors are not true, we will dispatch as many men as possible by morning for our own defenses.” Scratching his beard lightly, he turned to the rest of the group, indicating they should supply their position on the matter through their agreement with or against the suggested proposal. Four sets of eyes looked him directly in the face, three nodding affirmation.

“It’s been voted officially,” he responded, slapping his hand on the edge of his chair. “Four of five members of this council is the minimal requirement for any actions performed. I believe this town needs to protect itself but I believe the Toubot Clan needs to take care of itself. Mr. Petry, Miss Petry, we greatly appreciate the time you have taken to supply this critical information. Return home swiftly and prepare for hard times.” His eyes seemed suddenly saddened. It was a bad day when he would have to call the young men of this town to himself. There had been no need of a military for centuries.

“Thank you,” her father said, turning and departing out the door he had entered. Karish followed right behind, idly pulling on a stand of hair, her mind fuzzy and needing sleep.

They departed the hall and rolled through the gates to their family home minutes later. All was quiet, goods put away, horses set up for the night, and Dar and Arad smoking grass on the lawn. Stepping down from the coach with the help of her father’s hand, she walked over and sat down, relaxing. She sat cross-legged on the grass, green strands flowing lightly in the evening breeze and tickling her hand ever so slightly as she caressed the tops. Her father left her alone, heart going out to her toughness, and entered the house, leaving them to talk.

“I don’t think the council truly understands what’s coming this way. Help them any way they will allow you. If they say no, wait for them to fall then offer your services again,” she said, yawning. “As much as I would like to stay and talk, it’s my bedtime, since morning comes quickly. See you tomorrow,” she said as she rose and walked back into the house, meeting Bo at the door, looking wistfully at her hand. “Fine, you get whatever you want,” patting his head and moving through the house to her room and some much required sleep, Bo on her heels.

She awoke refreshed. Dressing and moving quietly through the house, she collected up the items she would use for her travels. She really didn’t have the time to wait for the family to wake in order to wish them good-bye. As she walked through the house into the kitchen, she grabbed the food items, then back through the middle and out the side into the stables. Whispering Wind waited, groomed, fed, watered and saddled by the stable boy, ready to go.
© Copyright 2008 Green Dragon (UN: jeanettebarnes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Green Dragon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/558874-Chapter-XII