*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/561547-Iced
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#561547 added January 17, 2008 at 9:43am
Restrictions: None
Iced
There likely will be no weigh-in today. Yesterday, I injured myself playing basketball.

I began this week playing pick-up games at the YMCA across town. First day went well. The second day was going great. I was mobile, making good decisions and some impressive shots. But on one play, it all went bad.

The guy I was guarding got the ball outside the three-point line. I was lagging back to help pack the lanes and double down on anyone trying to get an easy look at the basket. When the ball kicked out to my guy, I ran at him and under him as he shot. I continued to run, anticipating my team would rebound and start a fast break. Only, their team got the carom and kicked it back out to my guy who attempted another three-pointer. I watched this from half-court. He missed that as I idled, but their team rebounded again. I started to head back in to defend my guy who got the ball a third time but had stepped in front of the three-point line. As he moved to step back for another three-pointer, I measured him up from behind to block his shot. I've done this successfully when I was a much younger player and the results would be just as good this time out. I got a clean block and was feeling pretty good about it until my feet could not find a level surface to land. My ankle rolled after I landed on somebody, probably their foot. I can only imagine who it might have been, since it was all a blur. My limited vision may not have allowed me to see a player from the other team trying to slide in front of me so I could not block my guy's shot, only got their late and to become my stumbling block.

I pushed myself off court. I didn't want them to run and get me ice. I massaged my ankle for a few moments and then hit the shower. I stood under two showers, one icing my ankle with cold water. I alternated hot and cold for about 10 minutes, got dressed and went home. I was frustrated. I didn't want to stop playing. I actually wanted to get back out on the court, because I was exhilerated by the effort I was putting out and the results.

I had their trust. We had effective pick and rolls. I was hitting the open man and the open shot. I even surprised them with a post-up move where I spun away from the basket to the baseline and launched a shot while falling away that went from behind and then over the backboard, landing dead center for a perfect swish. I had to tell them as we were running back up court that I actually practice the shot, so they knew it wasn't a fluke. I was just surprised I had a chance to pull it off in a game. I was happy that the physical nature of the play didn't take away from the effort to complete a gem like that. I was finally feeling like this basketball thing could be coming back to me. And then, on one play, I gambled and set myself back about a week.

I'm still going to play as hard, but will make smarter decisions. I'm going to make sure there is enough spacing on the court before I leave my feet and/or look for a place to land. You always can tell when someone wants to play you tight. You can take the challenge and risk an injury coming down, or you can use their play against them by getting them to over commit with head and ball fakes or screens so you can free yourself up to work. I just don't want to risk another injury for the sake of old glory. I want to get in shape first. The more mobile I became, the better my chances of getting in shape and eluding injuries like the one I suffered on Wednesday.

I'm actually getting a break at home from the kids, too. No horseplay, no riding on my back or grabbing my legs to be carried with my every stride. I got to put my feet up and watch a little TV. They could cuddle with me and we read stories. I expect more of this going into the weekend. I might be able to actually get my head together with this down time and think. I've already started to write, though I can't quite get in the mood.

So, while the injury is a setback, it has it's benefits. I'll try to make the most of it and not worry about getting too far ahead of myself with my thoughts. I have the focus now and need to take advantage to complete some projects before the exercise thing continues.


© Copyright 2008 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/561547-Iced